Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Future St. Regis locations: when and where?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future St. Regis locations: when and where?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Toula
I thought there was going to be a St Regis In Honolulu as part of the redevelopment of the Princess Kal./Itnternational Market.

Those are COMPLETELY unrelated projects.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond
I haven't counted, but I'd be surprised if there's not more St Regis Hotel than either Park Hyatt or Waldorf Astoria -- the signature high end brands of Hyatt and Hilton respectively. I'm sure there's a greater number of Ritz Carlton hotels, though that's driven primarily by a higher number of USA properties than PH, WA or StR--internationally StR is quite competitive. I'd also argue that StR enjoys a higher end brand reputation than the other three which can be undone by expansion beyond feasibility--though certainly there is market share to be had in a city like London or Paris.

Either way, it doesn't really seem like lack of St. Regis properties--as much as I love the brand--is really a glaring issue for Starwood.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Either way, it doesn't really seem like lack of St. Regis properties--as much as I love the brand--is really a glaring issue for Starwood.
I don't think number is an issue as much as holes in geographical coverage. As a big fan of StR (and LC and W), I'd love to see more properties in the geographical holes for the chain: namely, South America (São Paolo, Rio, and Buenos Aires), Southern Africa (Cape Town and Johannesburg), Northern Africa (Marrakech), Australasia (Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, Fiji), and N America (Los Angeles, Chicago, Seattle, Honolulu, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver). India likely could use another StR in Dehli, Chennai, Bangalore, or Hyderabad.

Europe begs for StR in London, Paris, Zurich, and Berlin, but like N. America it is the most challenging region for new construction and even more challenging to reflag a property worthy of being a StR. Tokyo, Shanghai, and Hong Kong also scream for a StR as some of the biggest cities in the world.

I suspect Starwood will aim for LC or W expansion more easily than for StR expansion in all of those in the meantime. But I dream of having the increased coverage with StR.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 24, 2015 at 3:53 pm
Old May 22, 2016, 1:18 am

The StR Al Habtoor Polo Club is an interesting concept.

http://alhabtoorpoloresortandclub.com/

A resort experience themed around an animal, reminds me of the FS elephant camp..albeit with many differences.

Or is the resort themed around polo? In which case, it's more like a ski resort, focusing on a different sport.

Look like it will open in 2018. Personally I'll go with StR Kanai and Vommuli before I consider Dubai
Old May 25, 2016, 9:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Mangus
The StR Al Habtoor Polo Club is an interesting concept.

http://alhabtoorpoloresortandclub.com/

A resort experience themed around an animal, reminds me of the FS elephant camp..albeit with many differences.

Or is the resort themed around polo? In which case, it's more like a ski resort, focusing on a different sport.

Look like it will open in 2018. Personally I'll go with StR Kanai and Vommuli before I consider Dubai
Agreed. But a polo club concept StR in Buenos Aires or environs would be fabulous and particularly appropriate.

I keep waiting for StR to expand to South America, South Africa, India, and a few more spots in Europe and N America. I imagine Marriott's distribution will help StR expand even more.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:10 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jaejaez
I say the product managers of St. Regis improve the consistency and delivery of the St. Regis experience amongst their existing properties first before spreading out too much.

Just my two cents.
I'd have to second this comment. Our recent multi day stays with St Regis weren't even comparable to similar stays at Park Hyatt or Fairmont. There seems to be a large difference in training and service delivery (for the worse).
Old May 27, 2016, 9:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I'd have to second this comment. Our recent multi day stays with St Regis weren't even comparable to similar stays at Park Hyatt or Fairmont. There seems to be a large difference in training and service delivery (for the worse).
To each, their own...but I'd say all the major luxury brands have weaker properties and service locations amidst their portfolios. Four Seasons was a bit tragic in Lanaii until its recent renovations...and has problems with food and/or service in Punta Mita, Bora Bora, Mexico City, Austin, Los Angeles, Buenos Aires, Milan, etc. Mandarin Oriental has facility and/or service issues in Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Las Vegas, Paris, and Washington, DC. Park Hyatt has challenges in San Diego (Aviara), Toronto, Vienna, Paris, and Beijing. The same is true for Ritz Carlton...and even Amanresorts.

Even trying to make Fairmont sound even remotely close to the standard cars so the board for St Regis is laughable, IMO. Few Fairmont properties come close to the luxury standard for service, food, or facilities at most St Regis properties.

Business improves by expansion--though at a comfortable pace. There are cultural and location reasons why some properties in each luxury chain don't impress as much as others. But that doesn't have anything to do with the intended areas for growth. The pace of expansion can be an issue, but that, too, can be dependent on the location and culture where the expansion is happening.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:31 pm

I agree that all luxury hotel groups have their outstanding properties and others that are not that great.

Some of the above posts do not mention specific properties, so comments about bad service are not really useful without context. One has to compare hotels with others in the same market, as not all locations can support the rates necessary to maintain the highest service levels. The only useful type of comparison is such as: StR Punta Mita to FS Punta Mita, StR New York to The Peninsula New York, etc...

Slightly OT, but StR Istanbul has caught my eye. It looks like a very nice, contemporary StR property.

Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort - Opening April 1, 2016.
Website now says September 1st. I am interested in this property as well, especially if location is good for diving.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; May 28, 2016 at 12:13 am
Old May 28, 2016, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Four Seasons was a bit tragic in Lanaii until its recent renovations...
I very much enjoyed FS Lanai Koele prior to renovations.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Website now says September 1st. I am interested in this property as well, especially if location is good for diving.

What does a place like Vomulli run per night in SPG points? Im guessing..135k?...if they participate...
Old May 29, 2016, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Mangus
...What does a place like Vomulli run per night in SPG points? Im guessing..135k?...if they participate...
Probably at least as much as W Maldives requires for redemption, possibly more.

On paid stays one would earn a bonanza of points.

Award stays could make sense for people swimming in spg points, especially from business travel and/or credit card spend.
Old May 29, 2016, 5:31 pm

To each, their own...but I'd say all the major luxury brands have weaker properties and service locations amidst their portfolios. Four Seasons was a bit tragic in Lanaii until its recent renovations...and has problems with food and/or service in Punta Mita, Bora Bora, Mexico City, Austin, Los Angeles, Buenos Aires, Milan, etc. Mandarin Oriental has facility and/or service issues in Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Las Vegas, Paris, and Washington, DC. Park Hyatt has challenges in San Diego (Aviara), Toronto, Vienna, Paris, and Beijing. The same is true for Ritz Carlton...and even Amanresorts.

Even trying to make Fairmont sound even remotely close to the standard cars so the board for St Regis is laughable, IMO. Few Fairmont properties come close to the luxury standard for service, food, or facilities at most St Regis properties.

Business improves by expansion--though at a comfortable pace. There are cultural and location reasons why some properties in each luxury chain don't impress as much as others. But that doesn't have anything to do with the intended areas for growth. The pace of expansion can be an issue, but that, too, can be dependent on the location and culture where the expansion is happening.
What's wrong with the Park Hyatt in Toronto?

I'd agree it would be nice to have a StR in Toronto; I just can't think of a suitable property there for reflagging, even with renovations. Maybe the King Eddy, but that's no longer an option with the condo redevelopment. Royal York's too big, and the Windsor's too small. Also, no shortage of luxury accommodation in Toronto.

Cheers,
Old May 29, 2016, 6:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flews
What's wrong with the Park Hyatt in Toronto?

I'd agree it would be nice to have a StR in Toronto; I just can't think of a suitable property there for reflagging, even with renovations. Maybe the King Eddy, but that's no longer an option with the condo redevelopment. Royal York's too big, and the Windsor's too small. Also, no shortage of luxury accommodation in Toronto.

Cheers,
I think you missed my point. While the previous poster was reflecting on a few weaker StR properties, I responded by pointing out there are weaker properties amidst every luxury chain.

As for the PH Toronto, to each, their own...but I largely am in agreement with this recent review: travelsort.com/blog/park-hyatt-toronto-review. I find the PH Toronto to be among the most disappointing properties in the brand. And I've had great stays or visits at the PH Chicago, Washington, Istanbul, Buenos Aires, Siem Reap, etc.
Old May 29, 2016, 7:10 pm

I think you missed my point. While the previous poster was reflecting on a few weaker StR properties, I responded by pointing out there are weaker properties amidst every luxury chain.

As for the PH Toronto, to each, their own...but I largely am in agreement with this recent review: travelsort.com/blog/park-hyatt-toronto-review. I find the PH Toronto to be among the most disappointing properties in the brand. And I've had great stays or visits at the PH Chicago, Washington, Istanbul, Buenos Aires, Siem Reap, etc.
Hmm, well the "point" of this thread is future StR properties/locations, so I just wanted to share my view on Toronto.

As for PH Toronto, I agree, to each, their own. Although I find it amusing the reviewer's two principal issues are a) not a 'sleek, modern' room, and b) not a great view. Yet she specifically asked to be away from construction, which by definition means being in the historic (some would say venerable) Park Plaza tower, which is more than a century old and has no views on the 'non construction' side.

My own experiences have been just great. Which is why I asked.

Cheers,
Old May 29, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Europe and the USA are the toughest propositions. Most likely any new StRs will be reflags or brand absorptions (like the Crillon with Rosewood) since new construction is less likely and so expensive. Except maybe Los Angeles that is begging for a high rise StR in or near its booming downtown.
The perfect opportunity was there with the Wilshire Grand, the 71 story tower with hotel on the upper floors. Yet Intercontinental swooped in and will be opening their second LA hotel a year from now.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Post Belgrade, Serbia

Belgrade, Serbia
The St. Regis Belgrade - Opening September, 2019

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.