Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Why do hotels lie about upgrade availability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do hotels lie about upgrade availability?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
With that being said, how long before we have a new thread to discuss upgrades or upgrade policies?
Cut people some slack! Sorry most of us have lives and jobs instead of being on flyertalk all day. Have you used the search tool on this site? Its awful! Also with regards to the OP post, I feel with starwood you have to beg for an upgrade most times. 9/10 it works and we are giving something better, but only after we ask the front desk to look.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mbaker0936
Cut people some slack! Sorry most of us have lives and jobs instead of being on flyertalk all day. Have you used the search tool on this site? Its awful! Also with regards to the OP post, I feel with starwood you have to beg for an upgrade most times. 9/10 it works and we are giving something better, but only after we ask the front desk to look.
Yes I have used the search feature. The same search feature that is on many bulletin board forums. I was not dubbed the Search Police for nothing! LOL Also, just because many of frequent the forum during the day is no way an indicator that we do not have careers or fulfilling lives!

I never had to beg. If I did I would not participate in the SPG Program. However, like a hotel stay, each persons experience with the SPG program is different.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
If property don't want this situation just simply pre-upgrade/pre-assign room for upcoming guest and close they inventory.
They always know as usual what room/price most likely to sell or not.
Great service property do this but crab service property don't and make elite very curious about and upgrade.
Very greedy ?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RogerD408
And it may have been due to your "relationship" with the GM that you got upgraded to a room that was not part of the upgrade pool, so possible no lies told.
to be honest if I was gonna be staying at The LeM Budapest I wouldnt be expecting any type of Upgrade or anything more then what they need to provide and as it gets closer to D-Day for them(D as in Deflagging) they have less and less to lose.

Yes to an extent its dumb since how do they know we wouldnt stay there when it becomes a RC
Old Jul 22, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by mendy7511
Interesting, I did not know there was an automatic upgrade sweep.
I wonder how is it that in Asia I almost always get upgraded to a better room (even a presidential suite once) but in the USA, it is quite common that I don't?
Are hotels in USA typically more full?
I think they have a lot more plats checking in.

BTW as a plat you should be given club lounge access, club rooms are generally the same or similar as other standard rooms.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
To answer OP's question.

1. Starwood created SPG to maintain a loyal customer base, providing them with benefits.
2. Owners of properties don't like giving customers things for free when they (think they) can make money from it.
3. Front Desk often have trouble interpreting the t&c and enforce the rules that benefits them most.
4. Cx often gets disappointed when benefits during their stay does not live up to SPG's marketing efforts.

Had an interesting call today, some certain hotels seem to have a 1st stay cold shoulder policy. Inquired casually about Plat upgrade and they all say the same line "Let me check.. I can see it's your first time staying here, we upgrade Plats to Club rooms. If you stay with us again, I might be able to offer you a junior suite."

I remember there was a thread about "Suite upgrade only for returning Plats?"

Last edited by miloworld; Jul 22, 2015 at 4:56 am
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
As mentioned previously, the web site is not really a good indicator of what is available for occupancy at check-in. That being said, SPG Corporate does care and tracks this behind the scenes.
Sorry I'm showing a bit of hate recently.

But come on, in 2015, we expect things to be accurate in real-time.

And you can't get around the fact that if a customer did book a suite on sale, the hotel has to show that customer a suite.

How about explaining to innkeepers that, if they don't match the written benefits, chances are Plats will find elsewhere to go. On the other hand, they are blindly securing a room that no-one's gonna buy.

And Plats will go complaining about it everywhere (like here!). Lose lose lose situation.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by miloworld
Had an interesting call today, some certain hotels seem to have a 1st stay cold shoulder policy. Inquired casually about Plat upgrade and they all say the same line "Let me check.. I can see it's your first time staying here, we upgrade Plats to Club rooms. If you stay with us again, I might be able to offer you a junior suite."
Can you please share which one this is so that those who have not been there before can avoid it?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
SPG Corporate does care and tracks this behind the scenes.

Your best option, as well as anyone else who finds themself in this position, is to lodge a formal complaint with Corporate Customer Service. They can be reached by phone at 800-328-6242 or by email at [email protected]. Naturally, if you would prefer one of us to handle this, the issue can be sent to the email address below.
Will, thanks for this. I think most of us know we can escalate it to corporate after check-in. The truth is that many of us won't, partly because, among other things, life is busy while travelling, and also to avoid antagonising the property that's giving us a bed and serving us breakfast.

Instead, can we msg you a list of properties that can be audited whenever the opportunity arises? I personally would be glad to go back if I had been reassured corporate had taken a look at their upgrade policy. It may be a win win for everyone.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by craz
to be honest if I was gonna be staying at The LeM Budapest I wouldnt be expecting any type of Upgrade or anything more then what they need to provide and as it gets closer to D-Day for them(D as in Deflagging) they have less and less to lose.

Yes to an extent its dumb since how do they know we wouldnt stay there when it becomes a RC
Just like we expect benefits from them, they expect benefits from us. If I find a property that treats me well during my stays before I would definitely consider going back regardless of their flagging. The program may get me in the door, the property's actions determine if I ever go back.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

and the systems are accurate, they are showing what the property wants us to see. Would you expect a company to show you their actual costs? They have extensive history telling them they can offer 110% or so of what they actually have but only deliver no more than 100%.

And you can't get around the fact that if a customer did book a suite on sale, the hotel has to show that customer a suite.
Exactly, and you would not get upgraded if they are able to sell the suite. I fully support the property selling as many rooms as they can. I want them to stay in business, especially if I plan a return trip. If they've given away their last room, they have a walk procedure in place that should be followed. Generally the walked guest comes out ahead, just like getting IDB on an airline.

How about explaining to innkeepers that, if they don't match the written benefits, chances are Plats will find elsewhere to go. On the other hand, they are blindly securing a room that no-one's gonna buy.
It seems to me the biggest issue here is lack of training of the front-line staff. Yes, there are some rouge properties trying to game the system which is what many FT'ers try to do as well. They know very well that they may drive some business away but also know there are a lot of people that will just shrug it off. Look how many people will only post on FT and not make contact with SPG or report the property name.

And Plats will go complaining about it everywhere (like here!). Lose lose lose situation.
No one is perfect. By sharing info will allow us to make informed choices. If the property is concerned, they will find ways to listen, we just need to speak up in the right ways.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Just like we expect benefits from them, they expect benefits from us. If I find a property that treats me well during my stays before I would definitely consider going back regardless of their flagging. The program may get me in the door, the property's actions determine if I ever go back.
Not me! Unless I also have an Elite status level with the new flagged program. I dont care how well Im taken care of before any hotel is deflagged, Im not gonna return(unless I have no other choice), since it will mean no upgrades,early or late checkouts, no free lounge access or free wifi etc etc
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

We or you? If that is the case then perhaps you should adjust your expectations?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
I try to post reviews on trip advisor if I am not happy.
On one occasion the hotel contacted me to apologize and promised to do better the next time and they did. I now stay there every time I am in Shanghai (Sheraton Hongqiao).
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
Not me! Unless I also have an Elite status level with the new flagged program. I dont care how well Im taken care of before any hotel is deflagged, Im not gonna return(unless I have no other choice), since it will mean no upgrades,early or late checkouts, no free lounge access or free wifi etc etc
You missed the point... Many properties will offer those same benefits to their loyal customers. There is nothing in their franchise that says they must deny benefits to people that don't belong to the program. I try to get to know the management team as much as the desk staff. I find it much easier to get things done if they know me too.

I left my company and was gone for over a year before going back as a contractor. Many of the people I worked with didn't even know I left or that I was a contractor. I got treated as an employee even when I should have been severely restricted. So as they say, it's not what you know (status) as much as it is who you know (property).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.