Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin SFO San Francisco Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin SFO San Francisco Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Originally Posted by OreD
Thoughts? How did I handle it? What would you have done? How do they (SPG) make this right? Note that they comped the night of the mix up (1 room at the Aloft) and the next two nights were per my reservation rate back at the Westin.
I think your writing was succinct and respectful. Of course they should have comped the room at the Aloft, and they should also do something else. I think 15K points is about right.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:38 am

I don't know if the 15k points is enough. I had to sleep in a room with strangers. How awkward is that?? Sure, they were my clients and I knew them via email and a conference call but I think the hotel that did this should somehow be penalized. What stops them from doing it again and again and again? Nothing, IMO.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by spcran4d
I think your writing was succinct and respectful. Of course they should have comped the room at the Aloft, and they should also do something else. I think 15K points is about right.
Points don't even scratch the surface here - this was a Plat who should never have been walked in the first place. If this was me, I'd be looking at small claims court and reviewing the appropriate violations of the California Innkeeper Laws.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:43 am

I hear you, but in my experience hotels provide "compensation", not "punitive damages". Overbooking is a fact of life in the hotel industry, and in few places are you more at risk of it, IMHO, than at an airport hotel. I am surprised that they didn't walk you to a competitor (unless there were simply no rooms to be had).
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:58 pm

Stayed this past friday night. Haven't stayed here in probably 10+ years. Was offered WiFi or 250 bonus points for being SPG Gold- Took the points since most hotel WiFi is spotty and typically unusable. No upgrade was offered but did take the late check out.

Stay was great- minus horrible self parking (drove in circles for 15+ minutes trying to find a spot) and dining food. Food was your run of the mill over priced bland garbage. Only reason to eat here is if you are for some reason restricted in leaving the hotel.

Would stay again but just eat somewhere else and use the savings to pay the extra $7 for valet. ^
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
which hotel is better this or the aloft need a spg stay at year end and passing thru SFO.
both sound pretty terrible.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by aussielori
which hotel is better this or the aloft need a spg stay at year end and passing thru SFO.
both sound pretty terrible.
They are literally right across from each other. I would say they are pretty equal. I have stayed at the Westin and it is your typical Westin. Not extremely modern but not old either. The staff has always been friendly there on my visits.

I haven't stayed at this aLoft but I would guess this one is designed like the other aLoft properties.

Basically it comes down to do you want a full service or hotel or a no-frills one.

I would opt for the Heavenly Bed over the bed at the aLoft unless there was an extreme price difference.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by aussielori
which hotel is better this or the aloft
Hands down, the Westin (plus, it's almost always cheaper). But I dislike aloft in general.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:03 pm

The aLoft at SFO is pretty nice and modern.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Hands down, the Westin...
Agreed. I've stayed at that Westin many times on my way into or out of the Bay Area and I find it to be cozy for some reason. And Heavenly Beds. 'Nuff said.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:21 am

Does the Westin SFO still offer the platinum breakfast benefit?

I don't think it's a great Westin, but it's nicer than the Aloft IMO.

-David
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Does the Westin SFO still offer the platinum breakfast benefit?

. . .

-David

As of January 24 they were offering a full breakfast buffet as the benefit.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22215441-post1289.html
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by controller1
As of January 24 they were offering a full breakfast buffet as the benefit.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22215441-post1289.html
They used to offer it as an extra additional benefit. It was in addition to the welcome amenity or points. That's what I was asking.

-David
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
They used to offer it as an extra additional benefit. It was in addition to the welcome amenity or points. That's what I was asking.

-David
I stayed there in October and they automatically gave me cards for the full buffet breakfast, in addition to a welcome amenity.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by juniper
I stayed there in October and they automatically gave me cards for the full buffet breakfast, in addition to a welcome amenity.
Full buffet now including hot items? It used to be just the cold items (continental buffet breakfast).

Thanks,
David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.