Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Sand Key Resort, Tampa (Clearwater Beach) [Master Thread]

Sheraton Sand Key Resort, Tampa (Clearwater Beach) [Master Thread]

Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Originally Posted by Krankenfaren
I am staying here Easter week for 5 nights on a points stay. There will be five us, so getting the roll away bed for $10. Our kids are 16, 14 and 6, so space will be tight. Questions:

-As a Gold, what are the chances of an upgrade to the larger suite? Strategy? Can I book it with more points (no option for that on SPG)?
-Basically same question for club level...will I be able to use more points for the club level? Continental breakfast each day would be huge savings for the five of us

Thanks!
I've been here MANY times and know the hotel well. Here's the deal...

- if when you're going down aligns with everyone's school vacation week, upgrades will be tough. This hotel sells out during prime weeks. If you're going down on an off week, I think an upgrade will still be thought at Gold. But you never know. Not sure about the "use more points" thing.

- the suites are essentially the size of two rooms, minus the wall. Good sized. Suites are only on the top floor and there's only about a dozen of them.

- all other rooms appear to be the same size. Average sized. 5 will be a little cramped. Club floor rooms are not bigger.

- if you get club lounge access, their lounge is one of the better ones.

I like this hotel a lot but a if you're going down on a prime week and looking for space, you could take a look at the Cape Coral Westin (90 min south). While it's on the water, there's no beach but the rooms I have received are awesome.... Two bed room suites with full kitchen, etc. Good pools and activities but while you're on the water, it's not a beach. Have to drive a bit.

Last year I booked both hotels, saw how the bookings went, and then ended up in Cape Coral. The space was worth it.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I agree with the previous poster. In recent years spent 10 - 20 nights a year in 5 night spells, always paid and always as a Gold. However not been there this year. Never once was I upgraded , even to a higher grade room than I booked, never mind a suite. On only one occasion was the hotel less than swamped and even when really empty on that one occasion no upgrade was available. My suggestion is choose what you want and then book it and don't expect any upgrade.

The lounge is great but pretty small for the size of the hotel so I suspect that they might limit club access as much as they could ( but that is pure speculation). What made the lounge so good for us was the Hostess Peggy, although she may have retired by now. Always made us very welcome, more so than most places in N America. Oh the free booze in the lounge is pretty unusual in N America too.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:38 am

[QUOTE=Fizzer;23936131What made the lounge so good for us was the Hostess Peggy, although she may have retired by now. Always made us very welcome, more so than most places in N America. Oh the free booze in the lounge is pretty unusual in N America too.[/QUOTE]

I was there in June and Peggy is still there. She's great.
Old May 1, 2015, 7:09 am

Can anyone tell me about the sand on the beach at the Sheraton Resort versus the sand on the other side (near the pier)? Is the sand the same? I heard that on the Sheraton beach it has lots of crushed shells.

Thanks
Old May 1, 2015, 1:02 pm

From walking on it only it seemed fine to me. Perhaps down by the rocks near the state park or whatever it is next door there were a few more pebbles. That said, the sand on the beach near the pier is exceptionally fine IMHO. I am attaching links to a few photos of the beach right behind the Sheraton, although these do date from 2008.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/119143...7649975071463/

The 5th and 6th of these are from the rougher area I was talking about behind the park and ae looking back towards the Sheraton, the lower building on the left or else out towards the Sand Key bridge.

Last edited by Fizzer; May 1, 2015 at 1:18 pm
Old May 2, 2015, 6:44 am

I was just there this past week (and have been here many many times). Though I can't definitively answer your question, I believe the beach is mostly sand. I was walking on it in bare feet and it was fine, though there are definitely "seams" of sea shells along the shore a few feet wide that wash up.

I've sat on this beach, walked the beach, sun bathed in the beach and it's never been uncomfy. That being said, when I'm at the hotel, I usually grab a chair in the grass by a palm tree and chill out.

Side note... Still love this hotel. Been coming here for 10 years. Always treated well, usually upgraded, club lounge is great, and I love th location. This hotel, though small, has a lot of action going on, which I like.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Any recent reports? Lounge still good? Also, I love the Columbia Restaurant across the street. Any other good restaurant recs?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:46 am

No major changes...

- Club lounge still excellent. Good breakfast spread, good evening snacks, and free booze. Peggy is still there.

- As for food, my wife and I tend to choose location over food quality... like Frenchys Rock-Away Grill (the one on the water which has good food too) or the Palm Pavilion (also on the water with decent pub food). However, there's many options.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Any recent reports? Lounge still good? Also, I love the Columbia Restaurant across the street. Any other good restaurant recs?

We always like the Island Way Grill on the causeway into Clearwater Beach by the Aquarium, as well as the Salt Rock Grill. The latter is a 20 minute or so drive away in Indian Shores. Just turn right out of the hotel parking lot and keep going.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:08 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
I am booked in two nights this week on points - two adults and two kids

I have been offered an upgrade to club for $40 per night.

As Gold would I be upgraded anyway?

What free beer is available currently?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:31 am

We never were in 7 or 8 stays.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fizzer

We never were in 7 or 8 stays.
Thanks.

I'm Ok with $40 per night for club access as there is four of us.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dc2447
Thanks.

I'm Ok with $40 per night for club access as there is four of us.
well I would do except they won't take my money, apparently club access is sold out for August

annoyed
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:55 am

Q - Is $40 worth it for club lounge access (for 4 people)?

A - it depends on your spending habits. If you're the type to go out to breakfast every AM as a family, that may cost you $40 right there. In the evening, if you're the type to have a few beers or drinks at the bar (typical US beers... Nothing too fancy), that could run you $25. Also, it is possible to eat a light dinner in this club lounge as they do have sandwiches and other light dinner items. However, if you're the type to buy cereal at the store or run the Dunkin Donuts across the street for a bagel in the AM, it may not be worth it. It all depends on your typical habits.

This is a good US club lounge. Its not the hugest thing in the world but the selection is good and the people are very nice.

As for Gold upgrades and it being sold out. I can't comment on Gold as I am Plat but I can say that this hotel is a hopping place and they are sold out often. I enjoy this hotel very much. Your kids should too.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jb3t
Q - Is $40 worth it for club lounge access (for 4 people)?

A - it depends on your spending habits. If you're the type to go out to breakfast every AM as a family, that may cost you $40 right there. In the evening, if you're the type to have a few beers or drinks at the bar (typical US beers... Nothing too fancy), that could run you $25. Also, it is possible to eat a light dinner in this club lounge as they do have sandwiches and other light dinner items. However, if you're the type to buy cereal at the store or run the Dunkin Donuts across the street for a bagel in the AM, it may not be worth it. It all depends on your typical habits.

This is a good US club lounge. Its not the hugest thing in the world but the selection is good and the people are very nice.

As for Gold upgrades and it being sold out. I can't comment on Gold as I am Plat but I can say that this hotel is a hopping place and they are sold out often. I enjoy this hotel very much. Your kids should too.
Actually, I think $40 is great value. All four of us eat breakfast and I am a little bit thirsty in the evenings.

It's a real shame club is sold out, would round off our trip nicely

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.