Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Sand Key Resort, Tampa (Clearwater Beach) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Sand Key Resort, Tampa (Clearwater Beach) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I had a stay here at the end of September for the Significant Otter's birthday. The Plat recognition was nonexistent (they originally had us placed in a room with 2 double-beds, with partial beach view, rather than a King). I felt like I had to move heaven and earth just to get a non club-floor King with partial ocean view. However, other aspects of the service were stellar. They sent up a birthday cake, chocolate-covered strawberries, and a bottle of sparking wine, all of which was quite nice.

However, due to staff ineptitude in combining one-night's paid stay with one-night's reward stay, no *points posted for the stay (neither paid stay night, nor incidentals, nor 500-point Plat amenity).

Overall, I doubt I would stay at this hotel again. The value-for-money just is not there. Given that room rates at the hotel are often $250+/night, I could not justify paying such rates for this hotel. The 4P at Fort Walton Beach offers better service, good Plat recognition, and much lower rates for comparable beaches and water.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 9:35 am

Club Level?

I didn't even know this property had a club level. Where is the club and what is provided?
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by MOJayhawk
I didn't even know this property had a club level. Where is the club and what is provided?
They have a "Beach Club" on the top floor, which is a fairly small lounge with views of the Bay-side. There is a continental breakfast served from 6am-9:30am, and evening hors d'oevres (I think from 5pm-7pm). It's typical Sheraton Lounge fare (don't expect too much), but the booze is free ^. Plats are given access to the beach club via vouchers, and it is open on the weekends (also, ^).

I doubt you would be given access as a Gold, as generally Golds are not entitled to Club Lounge access.

You may wish to call ahead and inquire what room categories are eligible for lounge access. It may be that your booked room category provides access.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:43 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Are there any recent reports? It seems that this property has been hit and miss, so I am wondering if I am better off booking at another Tampa hotel.

Last edited by PG; Aug 19, 2008 at 10:18 am
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:41 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Originally Posted by PG
Are there any recent reports? It seems that this property has been hit and miss, so I am wondering if I am better off booking at another Tampa hotel.
I have stayed here a few times. It is a decent option in the Tampa market and depending on your preferences. I'd say the only better option in tampa Westin in terms of nicer hotel. But you can't be being right on the beach, with the calm water.

The hotel has a club lounge with appetizers and free drinks from 5-7ish. Then again in the morning it has continental breakfast (which I don't think the Westin has).
Old Aug 20, 2008, 7:35 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by flyfarfar
I have stayed here a few times. It is a decent option in the Tampa market and depending on your preferences. I'd say the only better option in tampa Westin in terms of nicer hotel. But you can't be being right on the beach, with the calm water.

The hotel has a club lounge with appetizers and free drinks from 5-7ish. Then again in the morning it has continental breakfast (which I don't think the Westin has).
Thanks for the information. Being on the beach is important to me so I will keep my award reservation at this property. I will check if I can get a club room upgrade using points.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 9:50 am

Question Any Updates?

Anyone with recent stays here? Heard about lots of construction in the area and want a quiet relaxing vacation - which is what we got last time we stayed here. Service? Property updates?
Old Apr 19, 2009, 8:22 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Staying here at present.Only a Sunday so cant comment on construction yet.Staying on the recent 50% off promotion.
As plat upgraded to gulf view suite,free in room internet and lounge access.Free wine,beer and a few spirits with limited but OK snacks.
Staff very friendly.Had dinner in the Island grill and it was surprisingly good with 1.5lbs snow crab for $15-and they were good legs.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 6:13 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
No construction noise at all.Just the typical yobbos who come back to the room after midnight and party on.The other problem(and again no fault of the hotel) is the number of kids.Combined with the small pool for hotel size this creates some problems.However doing my laps before 10am was fine.
The service though was top class-from the lounge attendants,the restaurants which are all good value and including the maids.I have never before experienced a maid who noting that I used a lot of half and half for my coffee left a lot more,or noticing the number of empty water bottles left us 4 each day.
At the present it appears a well run hotel.I doubt I would come in high season but if in the area again would definitely stay.When I get around to downloading my camera I will post some pictures.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I was there over the weekend and concur with most of the above. The propery is fine, keeping in mind it's a Cat 4. I received a nice 800 sq. ft. room, lounge access, free internet. Staff was friendly, efficient, etc., etc. It didn't stack up to the Cat6/7 resort properties, but I didn't expect it to. For the cost/category, it's quite nice.

Only downside was the typical east coast mid-20-something party crowd that seemed to be a large part of the customer base. It was quite annoying having a group of perfectly stereotypical LongggIiiland'ers swearing and drinking up a storm poolside at 1 in the afternoon with kids all around. YMMV.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by CPRich
It was quite annoying having a group of perfectly stereotypical LongggIiiland'ers swearing and drinking up a storm poolside at 1 in the afternoon with kids all around. YMMV.

I usually steer clear of broad statements like the above, but I can relate to precisely CPRich's sentiment. The first time we visited Aruba, the resort we chose was wonderful, but the pool and beach areas seemed to be completely mobbed with the type of person mentioned above. There were hundreds of them -- all incredibly loud and, to my ears, obnoxious. The foul language, the chair hogging and insensitivity to those around them was breaktaking to me. I'd never seen anything like it.

I left Aruba really not liking the island. It took another trip there years later to realize how great it really was.

Moral of the story: Hopefully, this is a total YMMV scenario.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
Only downside was the typical east coast mid-20-something party crowd that seemed to be a large part of the customer base. It was quite annoying having a group of perfectly stereotypical LongggIiiland'ers swearing and drinking up a storm poolside at 1 in the afternoon with kids all around. YMMV.
My wife and I stayed here quite often and I never really noticed that! We noticed a lot of inland Florida families and a lot of Brits! I would give it another try, I truly like the hotel and think they treat their Plats fabulously! I can't say enough about the front desk staff, they even changed a future stay to a much lower rate that I was staying on at that time! (wow, that doesn't sound right).. Anyway, I was coming back in a few weeks and the rate I was currently staying at wasn't available, but he changed it in the reservations system to make it available for my stay.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Avis First
Was there couple of weeks ago (Fri-Sun). Needed two connected rooms with two queen beds, so not much of an upgrade opportunity, but they did put me on the 7th (club) floor with some ocean view. Thumbs up for lounge quality. Walk to the beach or the car somewhere out in the parking lot can be tiring. Pool was full with kids that weekend, and they are happy to provide you with all the things you need (goggles, volleyballs, etc.). Were aware of me being plat, no issue checking out from both room at 4PM Sunday. Didn't eat in the hotel other than breakfast.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:11 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
I saw a couple notes about construction. Is the property in the process of renovating the rooms?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Had a great time here with wife in May, 2010. Looking at returning over long Labor Day weekend.

Anyone with recent updates on club lounge, upgrades for golds, etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.