Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points San Diego, CA 2005 onward (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points San Diego, CA 2005 onward (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Any recent reviews?

Thinking of a nice & cheap weekend get away....
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
prolly too late to help you, BlissWorld, but i'm here now. small snafu at check-in (clerk looks at me and says 'your reservation was cancelled') which had to be rectified by my getting the actual printout of my confirmation from the car, then the guy insisted my reservation had been for yesterday, etc. i showed him where on the print-out it said today's date, that the room had been pre-paid through starwood, etc. he found us a room. i said 'wow, you nearly gave me a heart attack!' he didn't respond.

this ultimately resulted in a free breakfast buffet tomorrow after mr kk spoke w/the manager about how it was handled. (i was tired and intended to drop it.)

the room--on the third floor, clearly one of the newly renovated ones--is quite liveable and fairly spacious, with a fridge and nice desk and work area, although the wifi keeps dropping out. they did give us a cable, but i want to surf from the bed! the hotel is enormous, as mentioned previously. it's not fabulous, but it's just fine. also, there was an unfolded/dirty(?) hand towel under the other towels in the room...but the furnishings are new and nice, ditto carpeting. the bed is quite comfortable and we are in--as requested--a quiet room away from the elevator.

i'd call it perfectly serviceable, the pool looks pleasant and the small golf course is a nice touch.

edited to add--our free buffet breakfast was perfectly fine, omlette/waffle station along with attractive and tasty fruits, yogurts, cheeses and cereals and pretty looking pastry. not fabulous, but perfectly fine, and service was pleasant. late checkout of 4p wasn't a problem either (correct as an spg gold). it's obvious they're still in the process of renovating (blue tape around the outlets on the third floor and some doors were the old style ones, there was a ladder and cables stored in the lobby as we checked in). internet on a sunday morning was unusable as wifi and slower than a 14k modem with a cable.

Last edited by karenkay; Aug 24, 2008 at 5:09 pm
Old May 12, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Four Points San Diego-nice but weird.

Stayed here last Friday night for one night.
Given a ground floor room.Did not ask about an upgrade.
Hotel was very very slow(I am guessing 20% occupancy)-so of course they put guests in the rooms adjacent to me
The physical layout of this place is just wierd-and kind of creepy.
I am guessing it was a H'I' before-but it looks like an office complex.
They keep the creepy florescent lights burning day and night.
You really need a car when you stay here because other than the hotel's empty restaurant there is nothing within walking distance for fun or food.
This is located next to the SD public golf course.So If you golf and are not to picky about your greens you might enjoy staying here.

Room was very nice-new furnishings.Free WiFi was pretty spotty so I switched to wired(also free)which was much better.

Given free b'fast coupon-which was perfectly servicable.

OK for one or two nights-especially good for Mattress runs since it is pretty cheap on weekends(my purpose of staying here)and plenty of free parking.
Too far away from anything to consider for a San Diego holiday.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; May 13, 2009 at 7:34 am Reason: Thanks, bigguy - fixed link, and sent the ancient posts off to limbo
Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Stayed here for one night last week. I don't get the comments about location in the other reviews. This clearly isn't vacation zone, but it is close to all the businesses in the Kearny Mesa area, easy on/off to the 163 (and somewhat to the 805) freeways, and if here on business, the Mission Valley Sheraton or the La Jolla Sheraton are much further away.

Given a 3rd floor room (there are only 3 floors). Hotel was very slow and very few guests on my floor, although there was someone in the room next to mine. Walls seemed to be paper thin, and while the neighbors were very quiet I could hear peeing in the next room bathroom and flushing the toilet through the walls.

Decor was nice and bright. Nicer than some regular sheratons I've stayed at recently. Desk and bed were comfortable although not nearly enough pillows on the bed, and it had a plasma TV mounted on the wall.

A/C was horrible. The wall unit was abnoxiously loud, and I was thankful the weather was nice enough that I didn't need to use A/C or heat as it would have kept me up all night.

Room came with a free buffet breakfast in the morning. No coupon, they had a list of everyone's room number who was eligible at the restaurant, and asked for my room number and last name as they seated me.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Truly the Bizarro 4 Points. I made reservations at the last minute so I hadn't read the reviews and wasn't prepared for the prison cell block layout. There were a lot of kids running from room to room, but thanks to the large suite - complete with wet bar setup and microwave - my door wasnt near the hall and I couldn't hear them. Not that I could have heard them over the loud A/C and toilet running all night. Not that I got upset, because I knew that if I wanted, at any time I could slip into the in-bedroom Jacuzzi, with full bath amenities including a bottle of Scope. But the thing that really had me chuckling was the shower - a small standup shower stall that still felt the need to have a bath spout 2 feet off the the floor. Maybe for washing your dog?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: All of them.... mostly United and Starwood
Originally Posted by TimMeineke
Truly the Bizarro 4 Points. I made reservations at the last minute so I hadn't read the reviews and wasn't prepared for the prison cell block layout. There were a lot of kids running from room to room, but thanks to the large suite - complete with wet bar setup and microwave - my door wasnt near the hall and I couldn't hear them. Not that I could have heard them over the loud A/C and toilet running all night. Not that I got upset, because I knew that if I wanted, at any time I could slip into the in-bedroom Jacuzzi, with full bath amenities including a bottle of Scope. But the thing that really had me chuckling was the shower - a small standup shower stall that still felt the need to have a bath spout 2 feet off the the floor. Maybe for washing your dog?
Oy, I'm worried about my 2 night stay that is coming up now. I didn't read reviews and can't do anything about it, because the rate was just so good. My budget is covering 2 nights here vs. 1 night elsewhere. I'll report back.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:42 am

Any recent reviews? Do the comp Breakfast for PLT?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ehud
Any recent reviews? Do the comp Breakfast for PLT?
Stayed here for two nights a year or so back while I was having some painting done in my house. PLTs get breakfast in the restaurant - hot breakfast buffet with several options.

As for the hotel, it's older, and a pretty large building with cavernous hallways. Nothing special, kinda small rooms, not as nice as the newer Four Points hotels. I didn't get any kind of upgrade that I could tell. Not a great location if you're looking to walk to restaurants, or anything else for that matter.

Pretty quiet while I was there, but I think there is a night club on premises, so it may get loud on weekend nights. It's also very close to Montgomery field (small airport, not SAN) and a Marine base (Miramar) that does a lot of flight training, so there could be a lot of noise depending on their flight schedules.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
Just stayed here. Even though I'm a play, this is my first stay at a four points so wasn't sure what to expect. Outdside of the standard amenties (I choose points), I received nothing as a Plat. Others have mentioned the "prison type" layout, which is very accurate. One weird thing is that the elevators are in the middle of the hotel. So, you drag your bags to the middle of the hotel to get on the elevator just to drag them back down the hall to your room.

If you need a stay and this hotel works for you I'd stay here again, but don't expect anything and just be glad the inmates....er.....guests....are locked in their rooms at night.
Old May 14, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Not a fan..

Yeah, this Four Points is just odd....
I won't be booking here again.

I thought it would be fine, cause it's Starwood, right? Just the whole layout of this place is weird. Was it a former hospital? Former prison? Business office? Or perhaps an insane asylum? Yeah... that's what I'll go with. (I'd be insane to stay here again!)

As a Plat, i took the measly 250 spg pts over the movie. (Good thing, I wouldn't want to get the movie and stay any longer in this place that I'd have to.)

But... the wireless is basically "broken" the front desk said. So I had to go down again... get the cable to wire my computer. Sucks that I can wire my iPad...

I booked this place cause it was a good deal and very central to all the locations I'd have to visit for work.

The bathroom was kinda dirty -- they have the white tiles everywhere, so it shows dirt and stains where housekeeping should've mopped.

The room was rather large. There were no upgrades available, event though occ seems extremely low.

idk... i just don't like this place. My 2c.

Best thing is that I received 250 spg pts for checking in on FourSquare. whoo hoo

I shoulda gone w/ the special at the Sheraton La Jolla -- even though that was a farther drive.
Old May 29, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Just got back from a stay at this four points. Booked 2 rooms, 1 free breakfast per room for golds and plats.

I had no issues with the layout, but I did have one major issue- they have a club there on the weekends, and it is LOUD. We had a room that overlooked the back of the hotel, and you could easily hear the music. What made it worse was that there's a back door that leads to a sitting area out back- every time the door opened, you could hear the music even louder, and there were MANY loud patrons having around out back until past 1:30am.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Any difference between the deluxe and traditional rooms? There's a small price difference, but I doubt I'll bother with it.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:45 am

Stayed here last week. Was in a "renovated" room, which is what I assume a deluxe room is. As PLT, you should get put in one of those regardless, so I wouldn't worry about. People were amazingly friendly and on top of everything at the front desk - very good platinum recognition, etc., knew me by name within a day. The physical hotel is not great - the manager and I talked and he's very responsive if there's an issue with your room (I had peeling wallpaper, loose plumbing, and many other small issues).
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by chimark
Stayed here last week. Was in a "renovated" room, which is what I assume a deluxe room is. As PLT, you should get put in one of those regardless, so I wouldn't worry about. People were amazingly friendly and on top of everything at the front desk - very good platinum recognition, etc., knew me by name within a day. The physical hotel is not great - the manager and I talked and he's very responsive if there's an issue with your room (I had peeling wallpaper, loose plumbing, and many other small issues).
You were in a "renovated" room with peeling wallpaper, loose plumbing, and many other small issues? Doesn't sound pleasant or a place I would consider staying.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
So where to start?

I made a number of reservations at this hotel before it changed categories from 2 to 3. I cancelled some but kept some. Until yesterday that is when I went to the hotel.

Early check-in at 2:30 pm was denied and I had to wait a little close by until it was 3. When checked in at 3, I was told that the suite was not ready. I requested a room and then to be moved to the suite, which they agreed to.

The suite was really in bad shape, but I didn't care then. However, when I returned I asked about the crib that was on request months prior, where I was told that they are all in use because they sold out. It seems that the hotel does not see the request section for reservations booked on spg.com.

Then, there was a loud bass noise coming through the walls. I called down and asked what was going on, they said that there is a group that rents a function room every Saturday and turn it into a night club. Keeping in mind that I'm placed right on top of that function room. So no way for me to stay here since they won't finish until 1:30 am. I then asked to be moved to another suite, which they agreed to. I then found that the suite had no lights in the room, I couldn't see anything without the flashlight of my phone. The suite looked in a much better shape than the one I was given. I went back down and asked why was I not given that room when I checked in? They said well now you know which suites are better.

I then asked to have my reservation for that night cancelled and refund the points, which they also agreed to. I packed my bags and left for another hotel in the area and cancelled my other reservations at this hotel. Now I only have to wait for the points to get back.

This hotel in no way should be a Four Points. I've had bad stays in the past, but I never left a hotel before the night of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.