Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points (Darling Harbour), Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points (Darling Harbour), Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Gold
Now I'm really starting to second-guess myself.

Last edited by lolosmama; Dec 3, 2006 at 10:54 am Reason: typos
Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:33 am

Programs: Priority Club(PLAT), Choice Hotels (PLAT), QANTAS, Virgin Australia, ANSETT_GW(RETIRED!)
4pt view

Hi all
I stayed at the Sydney Sheraton 4pts almost every week in 2005.

All the rooms are ok - "city view" is mainly the parking garage across the street

Harbour views are nice - don't worry about the "freeway" comment. You only see it if you look down!!! - look straight out the window and you get some nice views of Darling Harbour, especially at night

Breakfast is REALLY good - not bad value for money if you are paying in USD. Depends on how much you eat for breakfast!

A 10min walk across the darling harbour bridge (pedestrian bridge) will get you into the heart of the harbour restaurant and shopping area

You're looking at a 15min walk to downtown sydney. 20 min walk to "The Rocks" , Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House
Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:00 pm

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
4pts Darling Harbour, Sydney AU - another great stay(s)

Just a short review, just returned from 2 great stays at the Sheraton 4points Darling Harbour, Sydney. A great location, walking distance to CBD, great shopping and of course all the dining and veiws of Darling Harbour. Interesting architecture with new hotel built into heritage buildings.
Upgraded ^ (as GOLD!:-: ) both times, first stay of 2 nts, to a harbour view room, second stay of 1 nt to a harbour view suite !!.
Further was given the 1st upgraded room at a checkin when I arrived at the hotel very early, say 8am, having just flown in.. Also granted late checkout with ease.
The hotel was obviously busy, conference and summer season there, but they took excellent care of me and another associate.
Room service was prompt, food, including their breakfast is great.
I'd recommend this hotel to anyone, particularly 1st timers to Sydney, as their location is so ideal.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:47 am

I also was very impressed at the service offered to Gold members.

I don't really notice anything special being Gold with most Starwood hotels I stay at, so this was a welcome surprise.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:12 pm

Programs: UAL 1K (1.6 Million Miles), Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Great hotel....location to Darling Harbour and the aquarium, maritime museum, monorail and ferries is great.

I've stayed there twice on Points and Cash.....what a deal!!!! Since it's the largest hotel in Sydney (or was), they usually participate.

The one other hotel I stayed at in Sydney that rivaled it was the Marriot Circular Quay....which had fabulous views and great location, but the price was MUCH higher.

Service at 4 Points has always been great. The first time I was there, I'd flown in from SFO, arrived about 9am, and they promised me a room by 10am....so I had a coffee and croissant in the lobby, and they came and told me that my room was ready before I was done eating!
Old Jan 27, 2007, 5:26 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
IMHO, Westin and Sheraton are leagues above this hotel. I had a bad experience as a Platinum at the Four Points (given a dirty room upon an early check-in, recognized as a Gold instead of Platinum, and even after proving that I was Platinum I was not given an upgraded suite even though many were available). I chalk it up to one unlucky stay, but I much preferred the Westin and Sheraton overall.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
I stayed there last November--upgraded as a Plat, great view. Would recommend.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: UAL 1K (1.6 Million Miles), Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
4 Points.....love it

I've stayed at the 4 Points twice.....definitely NOT like the 4 Points in the USA (which are generally dumps). I was told this 4 Points is the biggest hotel in Sydney (built for the Olympics), but it's never felt too big to me.

I've booked it twice using Points and Cash.....and with the good exchange rate, I've basically paid about $30 US.

I've never had a view room, but frankly that didn't matter too much to me, as the views all over Sydney are fabulous, and I was so tired by the end of a day, all I wanted to do was hit the bed!

The location is very good....easy to walk to CBD, and Darling Harbour is at your doorstep, with the Aquarium (amazing!) and Maritime Museum (very good!) right there. And you can easily take the ferry from Darling Harbour over to Circular Quay. While that may seem a bit inconvenient, the view of the Harbour Bridge, as the ferry goes to Balmain, Luna Point, etc. is SPECTACULAR.

While the Westin and Sheraton may be more luxe hotels, they are in the midst of downtown, with lots of skyscrapers.....and frankly to me the appeal of Sydney is the harbour, so I'd rather be closer to the water....and the 4 Points fits that bill.

Enjoy Sydney and Australia....my favorite destination!
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:51 am

4Points Sydney - Internet only rates and GST

Just making a booking at the 4 Points Sydney. All the rates include GST except the Internet only rate which adds on another 10%. Is this Kosher? I thought that in Australia the rate they quote has to be GST inclusive.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 9:19 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The GST regulations apply to sales within Australia (and ATO does require displaying the price inclusive of GST as well as also displaying the GST separately) but this does not apply to sales made outside of Australia. Presumably the spg.com servers are not located in Australia, thus the sale is considered to be outside of Australia by the ATO, making the GST display and inclusion optional.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 9:30 am

Thanks for the explanation. Its interesting that I can't find any other rate in any other Starwood hotel in Australia (including Internet Only rates) that doesn't include the GST.

I wonder what the legal position would be - the server is overseas but the entity(the hotel) that will be charging my Australian credit card is in Australia. Could they really argue that the sale was made overseas?
Old Apr 22, 2007, 9:50 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
... Could they really argue that the sale was made overseas?
Yes, this is the standard agent relationship (same as travel agent, and common for lots of travel industry products). Even when you don't pay the agent, it is regulations for the agent that apply to the transaction; but all the loopholes for substantial advantage in this arrangement have been closed -- you cannot avoid paying GST by booking outside of Australia. Technically you are a customer of the agent when you make the reservation, and a customer of the hotel after you complete registration at check-in. Usually this distinction is immaterial, but you've noticed one of the slight ramifications of it.

If you are really interested in this, see http://ato.gov.au/businesses/pathway...60#001_003_022
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:19 am

I followed the link and am now somewhat more confused (but I think that reflects my lack of mental capacity rather than any fault of the ATO)

I dare not ask why you have such an intimate knowledge of the Australian GST regulations!

Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
The circumstances described is true and i suspect thats why spg.com booking engine has rates which says that addiotnal taxes may be payable. however, unlike the usa, rates in australia and some jurisdiction are tax inclusive and count towards spg points. i wonder if this is another one of spg tricks to avoid awarding points. ie. for usa rates where taxes are published seperately, you do not earn points on the taxes.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:52 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I wonder what the legal position would be - the server is overseas but the entity(the hotel) that will be charging my Australian credit card is in Australia. Could they really argue that the sale was made overseas?
I believe pre-paid rates are charged directly by Starwood in the USA (same with some Expedia bookings [if not all?] for example), and then the hotel just has the credit on your room bill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.