Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Lost Power

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by awu25
Why are you asking on this forum? If you were displeased about this, go find a manager and express your displeasure and see if he'll do anything for service recovery.

There are too many threads like this recently. (Ex: I'm happy for getting 10k points, but was this reasonable?)
What is the point of a SPG discussion forum if people can't ask questions about SPG hotel service when they don't know the answer? I asked because I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this and what they have done. I don't come in here asking about questions I can easily research or look into myself - like I've said before I'm a seasoned traveler and I truly have not experienced this before so was looking for some guidance.

I mean what is the point of a public forum at all with your logic? We could all ask whatever SPG questions we had directly to SPG if we wanted to.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Be honest about this. You know as well as we all do that this was not essentially the fault of the hotel. I'm sure that if there was anything the hotel could have possibly done about it, they would have. Your initial post was I'm wondering if this is something I could ask for points compensation for?. That reads can I get some compensation for this. I think the short answer is approach the hotel or SPG and ask for what you want and being an SPG Plat, you'll prob get something. Whether it's merited or just a way of keeping your business is debatable and with 125 SPG nights a year, I doubt you are points-poor. Do you really need the points. Give them a break and move on. (By the way, my advice to you is always check the iron is clean before using it - you'll save yourself a lot of heartache).
Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by AKABrownBear
Sorry I didn't respond to for the last few days - was busy catching up on work. To answer some of the questions, the power was out Tuesday night and was back on by the time I got back from work on Wednesday evening. The cable and internet did not work from Tuesday to the end of my stay (Thursday morning). There was no hot water Wednesday morning either.

I will also say while more than one hotel was affected, not every hotel in this area was and many did recover quicker. I did try to check out but the area I stay in is full of business travelers and every other nearby hotel was booked so I toughed it out.

I would add I was just looking for a general consensus on whether or not points were warranted as I have never been in this situation before. I take severe umbridge with the below response:

You don't know me - I stay in SPG hotels 125 nights a year and have only complained once in the last two years (the hotel left an iron in the room that was covered in some black tar and I used it and ruined my favorite shirt.) I usually let all the small stuff go. I was only asking about this forum about the power outage because I paid for a room with certain accommodations included in my price and most of them were unavailable for over a day. I haven't even contacted SPG yet. So to say I am going for an "undeserved point grab" is idiotic.
When you post here, you should open to a variety of responses.

In order for us to help your or answer your question(s), it is important to add all RELEVANT information in the initial post. Something that you did not do.

The above information would have given great depth into your total stay. The way your post was written, I was under the impression that you were there for one night and asking for compensation after the fact.

Unless you're posting in code, what you said was I undeservedly am grabbing points. Which seems impossible to do when I haven't actually asked SPG for any points yet. Even calling it a point grab attempt would be incorrect, as again I haven't tried to ask for points yet.

The point of this thread was to see if other people had experienced a power outage at a hotel and whether it was right or not to ask for points for amenities not available due to the issue. I asked because I've never experienced a power outage at a hotel in 400+ nights of stays.
This was more than just a power outage, but due to lack of information we gave input on what you posted. Nothing more and I too thought this was advice for getting points on a natural disaster.

What is the point of a SPG discussion forum if people can't ask questions about SPG hotel service when they don't know the answer? I asked because I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this and what they have done. I don't come in here asking about questions I can easily research or look into myself - like I've said before I'm a seasoned traveler and I truly have not experienced this before so was looking for some guidance.

I mean what is the point of a public forum at all with your logic? We could all ask whatever SPG questions we had directly to SPG if we wanted to.
A person can ask question, but they need to be honest and provide all information pertaining to the question in the first post. Also you need to be prepared for responses you may not agree with or like.

Now having read the NEW information, I do not believe a free night is in order nor a large amount of points, but if the property decided to give a "good will" offering of no more than 2500 I would be OK with that.

In addition, you should have dealt with this during your stay. That is always the best way to deal with things, not after the fact.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Sorry I didn't respond to for the last few days - was busy catching up on work. To answer some of the questions, the power was out Tuesday night and was back on by the time I got back from work on Wednesday evening. The cable and internet did not work from Tuesday to the end of my stay (Thursday morning). There was no hot water Wednesday morning either.

I will also say while more than one hotel was affected, not every hotel in this area was and many did recover quicker. I did try to check out but the area I stay in is full of business travelers and every other nearby hotel was booked so I toughed it out.

I would add I was just looking for a general consensus on whether or not points were warranted as I have never been in this situation before. I take severe umbridge with the below response:

You don't know me - I stay in SPG hotels 125 nights a year and have only complained once in the last two years (the hotel left an iron in the room that was covered in some black tar and I used it and ruined my favorite shirt.) I usually let all the small stuff go. I was only asking about this forum about the power outage because I paid for a room with certain accommodations included in my price and most of them were unavailable for over a day. I haven't even contacted SPG yet. So to say I am going for an "undeserved point grab" is idiotic.
A couple hundred thousand of people just in NJ were without power. As was said, if this was the hotel's fault (bad wiring, poor maintenance, etc) or a very localized incident (utilities work on the street corner), then maybe something would be deserved or a goodwill gesture appreciated. However, there is absolutely no burden on the part of any hotel to compensate due to ill effects from weather. Would you expect a hotel in FL to compensate you for snow when you expected sun? Its out of their control and has nothing to do with their services, as is a power outage.

[time]dot[com]/3933623/storms-east-coast/
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MotownMan
A couple hundred thousand of people just in NJ were without power. As was said, if this was the hotel's fault (bad wiring, poor maintenance, etc) or a very localized incident (utilities work on the street corner), then maybe something would be deserved or a goodwill gesture appreciated. However, there is absolutely no burden on the part of any hotel to compensate due to ill effects from weather. Would you expect a hotel in FL to compensate you for snow when you expected sun? Its out of their control and has nothing to do with their services, as is a power outage.

[time]dot[com]/3933623/storms-east-coast/
Compensation may be out of the question, but being able to terminate the stay early (and not charged for the missing nights) should be acceptable. Even arranging transportation would be a good gesture.

Years ago in New Orleans as Gustaf headed onshore. The city order an evacuation of all visitors and suggest residents also leave town. The Westin organized rides to the airport for those that did not have their own transportation. They were also very accommodating to those that needed time to make their arrangements.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Of course the hotel should compensate for not having power.

If you went to a restaurant and it suffered a power outage -- even through no fault of its own -- would you pay full price for a raw steak? Would you pay anything?

We're paying for a service; if the hotel can't substantially provide it then they should bear the full cost, not us. The only judgment call is how much a power outage affects the stay.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JackE
Of course the hotel should compensate for not having power.

If you went to a restaurant and it suffered a power outage -- even through no fault of its own -- would you pay full price for a raw steak? Would you pay anything?

We're paying for a service; if the hotel can't substantially provide it then they should bear the full cost, not us. The only judgment call is how much a power outage affects the stay.
There is a difference here... If the OP stayed then some service was provided. Should it be full price? no Should it be for the full term of the reservation? no The primary service of a hotel is a room to sleep in, all the creature features are icing on the cake.

I'm pretty sure if you went to a restaurant and you asked for/accepted the raw steak, they would expect you to pay for it.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I'm pretty sure if you went to a restaurant and you asked for/accepted the raw steak, they would expect you to pay for it.

Hmmm. If the power/gas went out in the restaurant halfway through your meal, how much would you expect to pay? They brought out candles but the A/C was out and the restaurant stuffy. Some of your dishes came out cold. They couldn't provide some of your order. But the main course, the steak at least had been cooked.

And the cause was a city-wide power outage. So not the restaurant's fault.

I'm guessing that most restaurants wouldn't charge for whatever they didn't provide, and some guests might even expect a discount, and some restaurants would offer one. Or provide vouchers for subsequent visits. Would the restaurant charge for a dish that was semi-prepared but couldn't be completed because the stove wasn't functional? Guess not.

Unfortunately we can't breakdown a hotel bill into it's constituent parts. So I suppose in the end it's up to the hotel if they feel the guest's stay was disrupted enough to warrant some form of compensation.

OP I don't think you'll get a firm answer here, and I don't think there is one to be honest.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Honestly I think the OP is in fact due some type of refund or compensation from the hotel, based on the fact that they did not fulfill their end of the contract, no matter the reason.

The thing is we all make our hotel reservations based not only on the fact that we will be provided with a room and a bed, but also take the amenities that come with that room into account when making a reservation - otherwise we all would stay at a Motel 6 type property. Electricity and especially hot water, but also Internet and television, are part of this package when I pay the contracted rate - if they do not deliver some of those, the hotel just did not live up to the expectations it created when making the offer to sell me their room.

And it is certainly not out of their control, the could have e.g. emergency power generators available that would jump in when the utility serving the area was not delivering energy as they promised to keeping up at least the essential services - if the hotel did not have that, they made the decision that this is not important or worth the risk, so if the risk materializes they need to make up for the consequences of their willingly-made decision.

So all in all I think the hotel owes the OP some compensation, and if it was me, it was a full refund for the night where I had to shower with cold water in a dark bathroom and then some points for the remaining nights where - while power and electricity was restored - several advertised services where not available.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:22 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
This is unfortunately, but all-together different than the original posting. The Bonaventure should have had the information on it's site, as soon as possible, so guests would know in advance. In addition, they could have contacted arriving guest via phone/email.

In your case, you should have been moved and credited.

The OP is about a natural disaster that affected a region. The hotel is not at fault and "owes" the Original Poster no type of compensation.
So fault really isn't the issue. The issue is whether the hotel delivered what was promised, i.e. provided the OP with the "benefit of the bargain". If the hotel was unable to deliver what was implicitly promised, i.e. a room with working power, plumbing, etc., then the hotel is in breach of the contract. The OP would have been in the right to cancel the room and check out.

It's not the OP's concern why the hotel is unable to fulfill its end of the contract. However, since the OP choose to stay, that muddies the waters considerably.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by djohannw
Honestly I think the OP is in fact due some type of refund or compensation from the hotel, based on the fact that they did not fulfill their end of the contract, no matter the reason.

The thing is we all make our hotel reservations based not only on the fact that we will be provided with a room and a bed, but also take the amenities that come with that room into account when making a reservation - otherwise we all would stay at a Motel 6 type property. Electricity and especially hot water, but also Internet and television, are part of this package when I pay the contracted rate - if they do not deliver some of those, the hotel just did not live up to the expectations it created when making the offer to sell me their room.

And it is certainly not out of their control, the could have e.g. emergency power generators available that would jump in when the utility serving the area was not delivering energy as they promised to keeping up at least the essential services - if the hotel did not have that, they made the decision that this is not important or worth the risk, so if the risk materializes they need to make up for the consequences of their willingly-made decision.

So all in all I think the hotel owes the OP some compensation, and if it was me, it was a full refund for the night where I had to shower with cold water in a dark bathroom and then some points for the remaining nights where - while power and electricity was restored - several advertised services where not available.

Greetings - Dirk
I concur. I choose a hotel based on a variety of factors, most related to my comfort. If the hotel is unable to deliver those items then why am I paying a premium for a Westin when I can sleep at the Super 8 for a fraction of the cost?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by clarkef
I concur. I choose a hotel based on a variety of factors, most related to my comfort. If the hotel is unable to deliver those items then why am I paying a premium for a Westin when I can sleep at the Super 8 for a fraction of the cost?
I'm with you and dirk on this. The first night should be refunded because no one wants to shower in the cold and darkness either. The other nights should be given points compensation because their services were unavailable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.