Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Palace Hotel, Moscow, Russian Federation [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Palace Hotel, Moscow, Russian Federation [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2005, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This Platinum got a room on the concierge/executive level. Nicer than the regular rooms and all have the Sweet Sleeper bed. Lounge access was no problem and the breakfast was pretty good as noted above. Just don't make eye contact with any of the attractive ladies in the bar - prostitution is rife in Moscow.

I got taken out so didn't get chance to try any of the restaurants nearby (there are a few). The nearest subway/metro station is at Byelorussky Station, about 2 blocks away. That gets you on to the fabulous metro system which is quick, efficent if busy. Given the traffic in Moscow it is the best way of getting around. The Sheraton is more than 10 minutes walk from Red Square - more like 30-40. However if the weather is decent it would certainly be an interesting stroll.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 9:05 pm

Transportation

Any one ever hire a driver from the Sheraton Moscow or know the approximate cost?
Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN
Please DON'T use the hotel's cars. They will charge you $90 one way. Don't use any of the cabs at the airport, either. Find a way to call Citroen Taxi and make a reservation -- it's only about $25. That company was recommended to me by the lady who checked me in at the Sheraton.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Moscow Park Hyatt is really good as well- and it has the added advantage of not having people trying to sell services in the bar..... which the other hotels mentioned above do not in my experience.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:56 am

Angry Again: Screwed by Sheraton Moscow

for the second time (out of two stays) the guys in the sheraton palace, despite the fact that i showed them a confirmed reservation for US$ 230 plus taxes insisted to charge me 230 CU (currency units, some space currency hotels in russia use to convert from rubel to "hard" currency), which is the equivalent of US$ 260.
needless to say that there is no point in arguing with those guys, after all, this is still russia.
i wonder whether starwood knows about this organized fraud and if so, whether they are helpless as well or just don't care.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:48 am
Suspended

this is an easy one....

1) dispute the overage with your credit card company
2) contact starwood customer care and alert them of the problem. they'll fix it. 800-328-6242

i would hardly consider $30 a "screwing." it is more of a misunderstanding.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 8:30 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I can see where the OP is coming from. This is likely what they do to everyone with USD reservations and only a scarce few complain. This happened to me in Iguazu Falls (they wanted to take my confirmed USD rate, convert to ARS pesos, and then convert BACK to USD for me to pay USD cash, increasing my rate about 8%. I fought and won but I do believe this is standard practice at many hotels (and I wouldn't dare say at just Starwood).
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So properties vary whether confirmed rate is in YOUR currency or THEIR currency?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:21 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
It states pretty clearly on the payment information page for this hotel before you reserve a room:

"Payment Policy

According to Russian legislation, the hotel may only accept payment in Russian rubles. Rates quoted in US dollars will be stated on your final bill in Currency Units (1 C.U. = $1) and converted to rubles based on the internal exchange rate used by the hotel. Payments made by credit card at the hotel will be charged in rubles based on the internal exchange rate used by the hotel. Currency conversions by banks or credit card companies in processing payments are not within the control of the hotel and are subject to exchange rate fluctuations."

Additionally, when you reserve a room online at any hotel that is outside the US, the following message appears as part of your confirmation:

"For non-US hotels, rates confirmed in USD may be converted to local currency by the hotel at your time of stay, based on the exchange rate used by the hotel and are subject to exchange rate fluctuations. Credit card charges are subject to additional currency conversions by banks or credit card companies, which are not within the hotel’s control and may impact the amount charged to your credit card. Please contact the hotel if you have any questions."

Perhaps you didn't read all the information properly?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rolling Stone
According to Russian legislation, the hotel may only accept payment in Russian rubles. Rates quoted in US dollars will be stated on your final bill in Currency Units (1 C.U. = $1) and converted to rubles based on the internal exchange rate used by the hotel.
But they are saying that 230USD=260CU which is contrary to this policy and is therefore an overcharge.

Russia is a very complicated place to travel. Worth a visit to be sure, but often times when travelling in Russia I feel as though I am paying first world prices for third world service.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:26 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by soitgoes
But they are saying that 230USD=260CU which is contrary to this policy and is therefore an overcharge
Incorrect. Read again (emphasis mine):

Originally Posted by Rolling Stone
...Rates quoted in US dollars will be stated on your final bill in Currency Units (1 C.U. = $1) and converted to rubles based on the internal exchange rate used by the hotel.
What you don't know is the internal exchange rate used by hotel until you get there . This rate is typically inflated ~10-15%...

...and to add insult to injury, you then get hit with exchange rate fees on your credit card (as the rubles-denominated amount is charged to your credit card).

It is organized fraud, and it is widespread—virtually all hotels do it; it's less widespread than it used to be at restaurants and stores.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:07 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
no problem in moscow

i have been in the same hotel, and we got exactly the same rate we booked.

may be it depends on the checkin staff?

so the solution would be to book this things in the local currency, is this possible?

dp
Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA MP, Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Honors
This is just one of the joys of trying to figure out exchange rates in Russia...this was not your first visit so I am suprised you seemed "shocked" by this treatment, but I do feel for your situation...I am going to find out how the Swissotel does things because my rate for the Swissotel booked through Lukoil is quoted in Euros, but the times I've stayed at the Park Hyatt I was charged in Roubles and then my bank charged me a nominal fee for the exchange rate.

Last edited by ldsant; Aug 6, 2006 at 10:35 am Reason: relevance
Old Aug 6, 2006, 6:58 am

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Dave8481
This is just one of the joys of trying to figure out exchange rates in Russia...this was not your first visit so I am suprised you seemed "shocked" by this treatment, but I do feel for your situation...I am going to find out how the Swissotel does things because my rate for the Swissotel booked through Lukoil is quoted in Euros, but the times I've stayed at the Park Hyatt I was charged in Roubles and then my bank charged me a nominal fee for the exchange rate.
Same stuff, it will be 1 EUR=1 CU, but CU in your case will be 35 roubles or whatever it is today instead of 28.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:04 am

Programs: UA MP, Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Honors
Yeah, thats what I am assuming, but I am just going to see if they will do what the Hyatt has done for me and charge me the equivalent in roubles before they do their creative conversions and let my bank figure out the conversion since their fees will be less then what I will lose in the creative conversions of the mysterious "C" unit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.