Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Palace Hotel, Moscow, Russian Federation [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Palace Hotel, Moscow, Russian Federation [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2004, 3:01 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
The water supply in St Petersburg is terrible - but much better in Moscow. If you are that worried about it, always drink bottled water and refuse ice in any drinks.... And to get really paranoid - don't eat any uncooked vegetables (ie salad) for the duration of your stay - it's likely they've been washed in the water.

Having said that, I've been to Moscow a few times and never had any issues. Agree about the subway - definitely learn to use it. It's as efficient as it is visually stunning.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
I stayed at the Sheraton Palace Hotel last week. A few notes: the pizza restaurant others have referred to that is next door to the Sheraton is actually a Russian Sbarro's. The hotel is, as others have noted, not really near much, except for several Metro stations and some restuarants (including the first Russian McDonalds).
A few issues to watch out for:
we were promised, over the phone and in our reservation online, an upgrade to a two room suite. (I had emailed prior to arrival, and while the upgrade wasn't in an email, it was in our online reservation.) We arrived to be given a standard room on the SPG no smoking floor (5). When we asked about the upgrade, they said they hadn't given us one.
we were in two different rooms at different points in the stay (we checked out for a side trip and then returned). Both had problems with the windows. Specifically, we opened the window in the second room, only to discover that it was only hanging by one hinge. These windows are enormous and very heavy, so it was pretty scary.
The safes in both rooms kept malfunctioning.
The housekeeping staff was inconsistent. Some days we got washcloths, other days we didn't, etc. Some days 2 waters (gold benefit and in the room description), other days one.
The best was when we called 0 to request washclothes. Two transfers later, a team of housekeepers (3 including a supervisor) showed up at our room to clean it. That was followed closely by the time we called to ask for our stored bags to be brought up to our room. I asked if the desk needed our bag claim numbers, and she snapped that "of course I know the number!" They then called back to ask again what we needed. Finally a bell guy just came up and asked us. Twenty minutes later, I could have gotten the bags and carried them up to the room myself 4 times in the time it took them to bring them to us once.
They tried to charge us for using the mini bar. We couldn't figure out why, because we walked to the nearby grocery store every day. It turned out they were trying to charge us for the bottles of water that were included in our room rate and were a gold benefit. Highly frustrating.
when you dial 0, it regularly rings more than 20 or 30 times before being answered (yes, I counted).
We called the concierge two different times. The first time was to ask whether St. Basil's Cathederal was open that day. The second time was to ask whether the Tolstoy House Museum had any English tours on a regular basis. The first time resulted in a call back with correct information within 10 minutes. The second resulted in the concierge trying to get us to take a city overview tour through him, which "might or might not" include driving by the Tolstoy House Museum.
All in all, an ok stay, but frequently frustrating. If you can stay for points (or at least partially for points, as we did), it's ok for the price. With a few improvements, though, our stay would have been great.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just completed 3 night here. A few pointers:

* Car pick up from Domodedovo (where BA, EK and LX fly to) is a whopping USD130. A decent Western car from the cab rank is USD50 - worth considering though you don't get a shiny Merc.
* This Plat got an upgrade to the Exec Floor and was given access to the Towers Lounge. No suite upgrade though.
* Rooms have been refurbished quite nicely and all have the Sweet Sleeper. ^
* The European amenity card was offered at check in. The fruit basket was HUGE, including a whole pineapple and at least 6 apples.
* Housekeeping were very efficient indeed.
* Concierge service was pretty poor. Despite being clefs d'or the level of knowledge was pretty poor. I suspect a decent tip is needed to get any meaningful information.
* P.C charges are exorbitant - USD25 per hour.

All in all, a decent option but the Ararat Park Hyatt is a much better option though way more expensive. Like other posters, I have heard good things about the Marriott Grand and Europa.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Jan 23, 2005 at 10:38 am
Old Jan 24, 2005, 9:01 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
Does any one knows how much caviar allowed to take out?

of russia?

i never have been to russia. but one of my friends always took 1kg of caviar with him

do i have to declare caviar upon departure/arrival?
how many kg or g i can take ?
where is a good market for caviar?

dp
Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:03 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by derpelikan
of russia?

i never have been to russia. but one of my friends always took 1kg of caviar with him

dp
200 USD per Kilo is a current price ;-)

yoi can take 1 can of caviar with you and you don't have to declare it... just put it to the bottom of the bag abd breeze through costums ;-)
Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:46 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
yes i heard that 200usd is 1kg

Originally Posted by RussianGuy
200 USD per Kilo is a current price ;-)

yoi can take 1 can of caviar with you and you don't have to declare it... just put it to the bottom of the bag abd breeze through costums ;-)
my friend last year paid 100euro/ 150 usd. but this was not in moscow.

since that time, i eat caviar wraps, i think only russians now how to do that. with that russin wrap style bread and 150g caviar and onions

i hope customs will not open me

dp
Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
of russia?

dp
The rules are very strict and depending on where you are going might be enforced both on the Russian side and in your country. It also depends on the type of caviar. The rules usually apply to sturgeon caviar.

Just putting it on the bottom of your suitcase will not necessarily help. The security inspection at the airport also is an inspection for caviar. I was questioned about my caviar once as it showed up in the x-ray.

I have also been quizzed by US Customs about caviar.

My understanding of the limits (which may not be current) is that one is allowed to export from Russia (and import to the United States) 224 grams of caviar, which is four 56 gram jars. (The limit might be 250 grams.) It is possible that some countries will not even allow the importation of Beluga.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
of russia?

dp
One of the best places is Yeliseyevsky, 14 Tverskaya ul.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:39 am

caviar

can anyone tell me how long the caviar is safe to eat?
i know that caviar which you can buy in shops are different from russian caviar.

how long can i store it and eat it without suffering?
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:41 am

I am not sure. I think (but am not sure) it is about six months unopened, but, of course you do not know how long it has been in the distribution process before you got it. I have occasionally seen expiration dates. Also if it does not look good or taste right get rid of it. Once it is opened, it should be consumed within a few days at the most.

Most important is to transport it and store it properly. It should be kept just above freezing. I always transport it in freezer bags with some frozen bricks next to it in the freezer bag. I sometimes add some ice in plastic bags. At home I keep it in the coldest part of the refrigerator with frozen bricks above and below it.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:58 pm

thx

i thought the caviar i can buy in russia is different from the ones you can buy in another places.
so if i can freeze it. this will make things easier.
Old May 20, 2005, 5:20 am

Programs: Delta-Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Starwood-Platinum;
Sheraton Palace Moscow

I'm planning on staying in this hotel the first week of July. Several questions:
1) Transportation between Moscow's airport and the hotel. I was offered a rate of $99 by the hotel. Any cheaper rates to the hotel?
2) I'm a platinum. How is the upgrade policy at this hotel? Is there a concierge lounge with free breakfast/drinks available?
3) Restaurants and public transportation near the hotel?
I'd appreciate any information.
Old May 20, 2005, 1:54 pm

Location: Memphis, TN USA UA 1K, NW Platinum, AA Gold, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Gold
We had a thirty-day stay in this hotel...

My wife and I were there for a thirty day stay a while back. They do treat plantinums pretty well. They upgraded us to a large full-suite (2 bathrooms, 1 bedroom, with a large door separating the bedroom from the tv room/sitting area. It was a reward stay (for the full 30 or so days) and we were still upgraded to this room.

Were were there during a November/December and it was rather cold outside The corner rooms (executive suite's) have a lot of windows and in the winter time it does get more cold in the room because if it. In the Summer, it will not be a problem and the view of tveraskya (spelling?) if ok.

The lounge has a good breakfast- very good- with fruit, bacon, eggs, sausage, potatoes, etc... and the tea is quite good!

If you have any questions, please email me and I will be more than happy to answer any questions I can.
Old May 20, 2005, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
I was there over summer as a gold not plat, but got an upgrade to quite a nice room. I think I paid about $75 from the airport but it should be closer to $50. The Sheraton cars are nicer than the ....ty cab I got so probably the deal they offered is not unreasonable, although you would have to tip on top whereas I would never normally dream of tipping a cabbie!!! (other than to round up the fare). Pretty good location too - 10 minute walk from red square!!

Hotel was great - staff also great as we SPG reg's have become used to.

Only irritating thing is that they quote price in US$ but won't lt you pay in $'s and use a really lousy exchange rate - basically they add 5% to the bil this way. A complete rip off and I am astonished that Starwood allow it. If they advertise $200 and you turn up with $200 in cash then there should be NO ARGUMENT.

Give them hell on this one!!!!!!!!!!!! They deserve it!!!!! I was furious!!
Old May 20, 2005, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
I stayed there as a gold on a reward stay and wasn't upgraded. Our room's windows were broken (as in one huge piece of glass was hanging by only one bracket rather than two) and the concierge gave inaccurate information when they bothered to answer the phone. A complaint to the hotel, during and after the stay, resulted in a defensive apology. That said, the hotel seemed safe and has a decent location.

If you do a search (within the travel forums), you can find information on cheaper transfers (ours was significantly cheaper, though I don't remember what company it was with, and the car was fine), and if you do a search within this forum, you'll find other threads on this property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.