Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Old Jun 6, 2007, 5:05 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Not the two I've stayed in. They were suites configured very specifically with two bedrooms, not just two rooms joined together.

There are many different room types at this property.
Yes, but none of the two-bedroom suites are available using Starpoints...just the one-bedroom suites, junior suites, and loft suites.

This one is going to be a tough nut to crack. Platinum Concierge can't guarantee connecting one-bedroom suites and the hotel itself cannot book awards.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 6, 2007, 5:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Yes, but none of the two-bedroom suites are available using Starpoints...

Right -- though it's worth mentioning that I was upgraded to the two-bedroom suites on both occasions as a Platinum upgrade. My most recent visit, three months ago, it wasn't possible and I was told that it's "never" done. As you've said more than a couple times, YMMV.

At this property, given how busy it can be and based upon my recent experience with what I found to be a woefully inexperienced front-desk staff, I would secure, up front, what you're comfortable with -- whether it's with points or cash -- and be pleasantly surprised with anything you receive beyond that.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:57 am

I was there during the week of 3/17, and there was still some availability. Going earlier than this would probably be a better ski experience as there was no snow (just rain) in the village. The snow/rain line was about at the midpoint of the mountain, so the bottom half was very slushy.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I got a tasty 2br upgrade on a $299 AAA rate in early April which I was pretty pleased about! The snow that weekend was fantastic!

Except they took 30 minutes to bring up our bags and it wasn't busy when we arrived at all
Old Jun 23, 2007, 9:48 am

Programs: VA Platinum / QF Platinum
Originally Posted by Christian
I've had much better service from them direct...
Good luck!

x2

For 21-JUN-2007 through 23-JUN-2007, I had a problem at the Vancouver Four Points Airport property (as documented in the appropriate thread) and decided to go to Whistler for the rest of the weekend instead. I checked availability on SPG.com, no rooms. I called the main SPG reservations number, no rooms. I called the hotel directly, plenty of rooms! I was able to get two rooms for two nights even though the website and main reservations center showed them full. Stuff like this really devalues the main portals Starwood wants to drive customers towards, and it creates a hassle where you have to check availability with multiple sources. Also, we have no way of knowing if we got the "best price" guarantee.

The hotel is awesome. Big rooms, lots of wood and marble, Heavenly beds, fireplaces in rooms (Jr. Suite), friendly service. Take this as a complaint of the Starwood reservations system and not necessarily the hotel itself.

Like the poster above said, call this hotel directly for the best information.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by marinersdave
...decided to go to Whistler for the rest of the weekend instead. I checked availability on SPG.com, no rooms. I called the main SPG reservations number, no rooms. I called the hotel directly, plenty of rooms!

Take this as a complaint of the Starwood reservations system and not necessarily the hotel itself.

Like the poster above said, call this hotel directly for the best information.
Folks forget that while Starwood Hotels may be best in class, their web operation is possibly the worst. One should never trust spg.com and always verify via phone or 3rd party site.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:55 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Did I get screwed?

I am staying in this Westin Whistler hotel as we speak. I am a Plat member and it is my 1st time staying in this hotel. I don't know what to expect.

The Starwood Prefered Guest line was busy whenI wanted to check in so I went to the normal line which was empty. This was about 4:00pm - July 20th. I came here with a co-worker for a business trip. Booked a room with 2 beds for a price of $180.

The reservation clerk seems inexperienced (whe wasn't on the spg guest line). Didn't know about the Platinum welcome kit until I took it out of the key case and filled it out in front of her.

I was asked if I want a room with 1 bed suite upgrade. Answer was "no" since I was with a co-worker and two guys sleeping in 1 bed is not a good idea.

I was given a small room with 2 single beds in the 8th floor of the West wing. The question is this. Did I get screwed? Should I be asking for the 2 bedroom suite as other Plat members got or at least one of those Loft Suite?

Last edited by yeunganson; Jul 20, 2007 at 8:09 pm
Old Jul 21, 2007, 3:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
As a Platinum I have only gotten the one bedroom suite upgrade there.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by IrieDame
As a Platinum I have only gotten the one bedroom suite upgrade there.
Same here. I've stayed there probably 10 times and never got more than an upgrade to a one bedroom suite.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Just booked for this Spring.
March 29 - April 4, 6 nights.
$299 /night includes 5 days of lift tickets for 2
Double starpoints for the stay.

Never been, but sounds like it is a great place. Should be a Plat by the so hopefully I'll wind up in a 1 BR.

Anyone stay there that time of year in the past? Conditions still good?
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:36 am

Great place to stay, but spring skiing can be iffy, with rain in the village and snow on the mountain. This is one reason Whistler is installing the new peak-to-peak gondola (actually it's not exactly peak-to-peak, but mid-mountain-to-mid mountain.) Actually, it's not uncommon during mid-winter to end up in the rain mid-way down the mountain.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS
Just booked for this Spring.

$299 /night includes 5 days of lift tickets for 2
Double starpoints for the stay.
I've seen rates as low as $159/nite in late spring when snow isn't as good, but I say that's a decent deal. Lift tickets pp are in the $60 range so your room cost is $180, plus starpoints on the lift tickets and the points are doubled.

I'd normally ask if CDN or US $, but it's the same now
Old Sep 22, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Yeah I was excited to see it was in CAD until I realized that $1 USD = 0.99 CAD these days Remember the good old days of working the exchange when resorts all along the border took CAD on par with USD
Old Sep 24, 2007, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Mid-spring can be quite dicey - in fact, we have found poor conditions even in mid-February, which is supposed to be peak season. I hate to blame global warming but...

In fact, this is one of the main reasons we won't be returning until the 2010 winter olympics. Dicey conditions + poor exchange rate + high room rates + higher airfares (post 9/11 one could fly SFO-YVR-SFO for $140 all-in) = reduced occupancy levels. I would expect to see quite a few promos this year.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
I just booked two rooms for mid-march. I haven't skied in many, many years, so here's hoping for great snow conditions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.