Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sc flier
The Plat Concierge said that this hotel's policy is to always prebook a one-category upgrade for Plat guests. Then if a better suite is available upon check-in (and of course showing availability for the duration of our stay), I should get that additional upgrade.

From what she told me, a Plat is eligible to get an upgrade to a 2BR suite.
I've stayed at this hotel many times. I'm now a Plat, but previously also stayed there a number of times as a Gold. The hotel is really good with respect to upgrading both Plat and Gold members from junior suites to 1BR suites. Only once did I not get the upgrade and it was because the hotel was oversold. However, I've never been upgraded to a 2BR suite and, despite what you were told, I don't think they do it. I've been there when the hotel was pretty empty and have been refused an upgrade to a 2BR. I also wouldn't count on a 4pm checkout. They don't like to do it and have the right to refuse it as it is a resort property. They take full advantage of that right, in my experience.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:42 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by ac/elite
I also wouldn't count on a 4pm checkout. They don't like to do it and have the right to refuse it as it is a resort property. They take full advantage of that right, in my experience.
I would not expect this during such a busy week, and that's why we're taking advantage of the fifth night free. We'll depart very early in the morning on our last day.

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Not necessarily. I don't agree with the one-category opinion of the Platinum Concierge. For example, if a 1 BDRM suite was available at check-in, you should be upgraded to it because it is on the SPG4SU rate plan for this property and those are considered to be select standard suites.
What I was referring to here was that the Plat Concierge said that this particular property always tries to prebook Plats with a one-category upgrade. Then if a better upgrade is available at check-in, they still should receive that additional upgrade.

This California-based Plat Concierge has a personal trip to this property planned in the next couple of weeks and was very familiar with the hotel. To confirm award availability and ask about specific room options, she called the hotel twice while I was on the phone with her. Also, this is the first time that a PC has given me her direct email address for future questions, etc. She also gave me the name and email address of the concierge in Whistler.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 6:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
I've stayed at this hotel many times. I'm now a Plat, but previously also stayed there a number of times as a Gold. The hotel is really good with respect to upgrading both Plat and Gold members from junior suites to 1BR suites. Only once did I not get the upgrade and it was because the hotel was oversold. However, I've never been upgraded to a 2BR suite and, despite what you were told, I don't think they do it. I've been there when the hotel was pretty empty and have been refused an upgrade to a 2BR. I also wouldn't count on a 4pm checkout. They don't like to do it and have the right to refuse it as it is a resort property. They take full advantage of that right, in my experience.
We also stayed at this hotel fairly often, this was our honeymoon hotel and when they found out it was are honeymoon they allowed to have the 4pm checkout. It was the one and only time they allowed us.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
I just checked my res emails...the agents must have discretion in assigning room categories (which is good!- there are relatively few base level "rooms" here unlike other properties).

This is the Suite: 11,500 points:

1 QUEEN BED + QUEEN SOFA BED
1 BEDROOM, HEAVENLY BED, FULL KITCHEN, SEPARATE LIVINGROOM W/SOFA, NON-SMOKING ROOM, UP TO 587 SQ FT, QUEEN BED AND QUEEN SOFABED SEPARATE BDRM, LIVING ROOM DINING AREA FOR 4. LARGER THAN JUNIOR. GAS FIREP

Regular room (10,000) points
Junior Suite - Lower Door Handles And Wardrobe Bars, Grib Ba Rs And Pedestal Sink In Bathroom For Wheelchair Ease, Oversi
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by jesus4jets
This is the Suite: 11,500 points:

1 BEDROOM, HEAVENLY BED, FULL KITCHEN, SEPARATE LIVINGROOM W/SOFA, NON-SMOKING ROOM, UP TO 587 SQ FT, QUEEN BED AND QUEEN SOFABED SEPARATE BDRM, LIVING ROOM DINING AREA FOR 4. LARGER THAN JUNIOR. GAS FIREP
For comparison, here's what the confirmation email says about the 10,000 points/night Junior Suite that I just booked:

JUNIOR SUITE NON-SMOKING, HEAVENLY BED, FULL KITCHEN, SOFA BED, GAS FIREPLACE, JUNIOR SUITE - OVER 400 SQ FT OF AN OPEN CONCEPT DESIGN - NO SEPARATE BEDROOM - WORK DESK AREA IDEAL FOR LAPTOP

It clearly notes a Junior Suite as opposed to your 1-bedroom. The 1-bedroom was offered at 20,000/night when I booked (at the Gold line). Sounds like you have a very good deal.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 9:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ehlfg
For comparison, here's what the confirmation email says about the 10,000 points/night Junior Suite that I just booked:

JUNIOR SUITE NON-SMOKING, HEAVENLY BED, FULL KITCHEN, SOFA BED, GAS FIREPLACE, JUNIOR SUITE - OVER 400 SQ FT OF AN OPEN CONCEPT DESIGN - NO SEPARATE BEDROOM - WORK DESK AREA IDEAL FOR LAPTOP

It clearly notes a Junior Suite as opposed to your 1-bedroom. The 1-bedroom was offered at 20,000/night when I booked (at the Gold line). Sounds like you have a very good deal.
As long as there's availability, you'll be upgraded to the one bedroom suite, which is much nicer than the junior suite. The hotel is really good about upgrading from the junior suite, even for golds.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:19 am

As long as there's availability, you'll be upgraded to the one bedroom suite, which is much nicer than the junior suite. The hotel is really good about upgrading from the junior suite, even for golds.
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm hoping but not all that hopeful. There's availability now, but I'm not optimistic about availability at the time of our trip. We'll be there over President's Day weekend, which I remember reading elsewhere as busy for Whistler (even though it may not be a Canadian holiday).

On another note, we're currently planning to squeeze a family of four (including one teenager) into one junior suite. Does anyone know how tight of a squeeze that would be?
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:36 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by ehlfg
On another note, we're currently planning to squeeze a family of four (including one teenager) into one junior suite. Does anyone know how tight of a squeeze that would be?
Pretty tight, but probably not as tight as if it included a pre-teen. Judge for yourself with the room layout and virtual tour on the official hotel website.

I think the jr loft suite (requiring some extra points if you want to confirm it in advance) would be much more comfortable. Likely even preferable over the 1BR.

I find that rooms that are already cramped are made worse by the extra luggage usually required during ski season.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:52 am

Programs: starwood plat, delta plat
Does Westin Whistler sell out early? If so how early?

A friend of mine (a fellow Plat) and I want to do a ski trip to whistler on points this winter for february or march, and take our respective GFs, but due to the difficulty of coordinating vacation time it will be a while before we can solidify dates. In the past have people observed that the Westin Whistler becomes fully booked early? How long can I reasonably wait to book?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:59 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I booked a 2-night award stay this past season for the Feb. weekend before the Presidents birthday weekend. I booked the stay somewhere around Dec. 30. I believe I checked room rates in January and there was still availability. A day or two before check-in I checked back to see if I could determine my chances for an upgrade and the hotel did show "no availability" at that time.

(Got an upgrade to a loft suite anyway, though. )
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Each time I stayed there in the 06/07 winter season (which I think was 3 times), I booked about a week or two in advance and never had any trouble.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Feb & March are obviously the hotels (and Whistler's) peak. However, I too have booked fairly last min with slight changes to my preferred days.

I think a lot has to do with how well of a season they are having snow-wise. 3 years ago it was baaaad, and thus lots of availability & cheaper rates.

I also think the Westin has some competition now that the Four Seasons has taken the top spot of Whistler's highest-rated hotel. Westin Whistler is still one of my all-time favorite Westin properties, worldwide!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:41 pm

Programs: starwood plat, delta plat
Questions about the Westin Whistler

So we want a two bedroom suite on points, and I am fairly certain that the westin whistler just connects two normal suites to create these. Despite being willing to pay the cost of the two discrete suites, they are unwilling to just agree in advance to connect them. This seems like a very simple request, especially so considering it is 10 months in advance. Is there a back door to getting this done?

side note: I seem recall the plat customer service line being more accommodating then this in the past...
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:47 pm

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
call the property direct

I've had much better service from them direct...
Good luck!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 4:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by prosen
So we want a two bedroom suite on points, and I am fairly certain that the westin whistler just connects two normal suites to create these. ...
Not the two I've stayed in. They were suites configured very specifically with two bedrooms, not just two rooms joined together.

There are many different room types at this property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.