Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits

Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
This thread is for discussion of the new benefits & fee structure announced in June 2015. For general discussion of the SPG Amex, see SPG American Express [Master Thread].

Will the additional cardholders on my Starwood Business Amex account get access to the Sheraton Club lounge? What about guests in additional rooms I'm also paying for?
"This benefit is for Basic Card Members only on Starpoint Eligible Rate reservations...Sheraton Club lounge access is limited to the eligible Card Member and a guest staying in the same room for the duration of the stay, regardless of how many rooms have been reserved." (See Starwood FAQs.)
Which hotel brands with the Sheraton name will offer the lounge benefit?
The benefit is offered at all Sheraton-branded properties, including Sheraton Grand hotels, with the exception of any Luxury Collection property. It is not available at Four Points by Sheraton hotels.
Wiil I still get Club access if I book my stay with points or cash+points?
Per Starwood Lurker in post #104, yes.
Print Wikipost

American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits

Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:16 pm
Suspended

What is with the recent trend of CC"s offering Free Boingo and then jacking up the annual fee? Are people listing this is a must have perk on surveys? Folks whoever is calling these companies and asking for Boingo, would you please stop? For the love of God, please stop. Boingo is absolute garbage, please keep that out of my sight.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
Count me in for the not happy group. I have no interest in paying an extra $30 per year for no FTF when I have plenty of FTF-free cards (both from Amex and other issuers). The rest of the benefits are redundant or worthless.
Exactly. if they had doubled SPG points on dining spend, it might have been worth the extra $30 per year. As is, it's a rate increase with negligible benefit.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Does AMEX think we are that stupid?
When there are other cards out there that offers much better benefits?

Even at $65, I'm not sure if it is worth the $$.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Thank you for listening Starwood & Amex. No FTF was sorely needed.

I think the $95 annual fee is a fair exchange for it. Other no FTF cards charge $95 as well (United Explorer, British Airways, Hilton Reserve, IHG, Southwest) so it is competitive. Yes, you can find fee free FTF cards like Capital One but their benefits are lacking and their fraud catches are horrid outside the US and make their card too frustrating to use.

Although the other benefits are worthless to me - I'm happy with the exchange of $30 for no FTF. Kudos!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat75, MR Plat, UA Silver, GE/NEXUS
So I already have the lounge+premium wifi as a plat, so half of the new benefits are worthless to the most frequent SPG customers. Seriously? Lame. Boingo is pretty awful and I already got it "free" with my Amex Plat card. So in short, to not pay FTF, I have to spend ~$1100 overseas just to recoup the AF increase? This is disappointing. Come renewal time, my SPG spend may go to my CSP or TY cards.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
My card just renewed so I have quite a while before having to make a decision fortunately. Leaning no as of now, will depend how much SPG works for me upcoming as I'm still Platinum and about halfway to renewing that status.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I agree that no FTF was needed, but not at this price. $65 was where it needed to stay.

The rest of the benefits are garbage that I already have with other cards.

Will there be a lower version of the card?

I'm between a rock and hard place because I'd like to still earn starpoints, but the annual fee is steep for the return.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by TMM1982
What is with the recent trend of CC"s offering Free Boingo and then jacking up the annual fee? Are people listing this is a must have perk on surveys? Folks whoever is calling these companies and asking for Boingo, would you please stop? For the love of God, please stop. Boingo is absolute garbage, please keep that out of my sight.
Other than AmEx Plat and MB cards, which others have free Boingo?

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry

I think the $95 annual fee is a fair exchange for it. Other no FTF cards charge $95 as well (United Explorer, British Airways, Hilton Reserve, IHG, Southwest) so it is competitive. Yes, you can find fee free FTF cards like Capital One but their benefits are lacking and their fraud catches are horrid outside the US and make their card too frustrating to use.

Although the other benefits are worthless to me - I'm happy with the exchange of $30 for no FTF. Kudos!
IHG is $49 and includes a free night at ANY IHG property. I've used the free night for the Intercontinental Westminster (London, now the Conrad St James) and the Palazzo in Vegas on a weekend.

My Hyatt card is $75/yr, no FTF, and one free Cat 1-4 night/yr. Plus 5 stay/10 credit nights for $40K annual spend.

Anyone know of other cards that can earn/convert to Starpoints?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'm with the others in this thread who will consider canceling when the annual fee comes due. I have to decide if the two free stay credits is worth $95, because the other "benefits" unfortunately aren't.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:22 pm

This is frustrating for me, as it's a great card for every day spend, but the benefits are worthless to me. Maybe I should just siwtch to everyday Amex?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:23 pm

"Enhance" hahahaha.

Scrambling due to the upcoming Costco defection to Visa, that's all it is.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker IV
In addition to existing benefits, effective August 11, 2015, SPG Card Members will enjoy the following:

· No Foreign Transaction Fees
· Complimentary, Unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi
· Complimentary Premium In-Room Internet Access
· Access to Sheraton Club Lounges for SPG Amex OPEN Card Members

[email protected]
- so for SPG PLT the enhancement is the waiver of foreign transaction fees and Boingo (the latter is a garbage product in my opinion). It looks like AmEX will loose another customer with $40-50K annual spending on the card. Of course, it is a very small loss compared to Costco.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry

The thing is that the no-FTF is really more a benefit to Amex these days because it is hard to imagine a regular traveler who doesn't already have 1 or more cards that have no FTF. So really, dropping the FTF just gets Amex business that they would have lost otherwise. Also, as has been pointed out elsewhere, it takes 1K of spend to break even on the FTF in any case. So I certainly see less than $30 value in dropping the FTF (and I do spend well above the 1K internationally annually but just do it on the CSP card which has very good benefits.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Alex_I
Of course, it is a very small loss compared to Costco.
Sounds like Amex is trying to outdo itself there.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Starpoints >>>>>> UR

Unless you're dead set on transferring to Hyatt, I don't really see why someone would opt for UR over Starpoints.
To transfer them to an airline program:

- British Airways
- Singapore Airlines
- Southwest
- United Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- Korean Air

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.