Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Park Tower Knightsbridge, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Tower Knightsbridge, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Report: Sheraton Park Tower

I just returned from this property from an one night stay. I was not terribly impressed with this property. For the price that they charged, I expected a lot more than a typical Sheraton hotel (especially with the Luxury Collection attached).

The location is pretty good. It's only steps away from the beautiful Hyde Park in London. It's across the street from Harvey Nichols department store and a couple of blocks away from Harrods. Tube: Knightsbridge.

Check in
The check in agent was friendly and tried to be chatty. I was dead tired from my long flight, so I responded accordingly. He recognized my platinum status, offered my platinum amenity and the sent me to my room on the 7th floor. But wait a minute, 7th floor? The hotel manager had emailed me previously informing me that he had preblocked me into an executive room on the 14th floor with fantastic view of London. 7th floor? I inquired and told him about manager's promise. He then looked through the computer, and "ahh'd" and said that's correct Sir, but unfortunately the room was not ready and the only thing available at the time would be room 7XX I accepted it because I just wanted to take a quick shower and head out. He then directed me to the "elevator." That's when I realized he was trying to speak in an American accent with me the whole time and directed me to the "elevator" instead of the "lift." Maybe he was trying to make me feel more comfortable, I don't know.

Room
The room was very nice. However, it was a lot smaller than I expected. It had a small sitting area with large windows. Because of my low floor, I had a lovely view of Harvey Nichols dining hall . The bathroom was clean with separate bath and shower. The bathroom amenity was very nice including bath salt. There was also a bottle of water (complimentary)

My kind size bed was formed by connecting two twin beds so it had that very uncomfortable point in the middle. I was very surprised to find that they didn't use any sheets for the bed. I mean, there was a cover for the comforter, but no additional beddings were underneath. I guess I had been sleeping on the W bed/heavenly/sweet sleeper beds too often that I was expecting it to be similar.

Food/Room Service
I ordered the afternoon tea service from room service. It was very lovely and delicious. It came with assorted scones, sandwiches, and cakes. Small jars of preserves, clotted cream, other items were also provided. I really enjoyed the tea. I had to leave my room quickly for a show, so I only ate what I could. I set aside some cake and sandwich in my room so I could eat them when I return. As mentioned in another post, upon my return, my table was placed outside my room and the items I set aside (including the small jars of preserves) were eaten and taken. I was seriously disturbed.

Overall
I was NOT impressed with the Sheraton Park Tower. Don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly fine hotel with nice amenities. However, I find the service to be lacking, especially for the price they charge. I am embarrased to say that I experienced better service at the Sheraton Skyline (where the room rate is a quarter of Sheraton Park Tower) than the Sheraton Park Tower. If you don't mind paying the money, I would suggest other expensive properties in town where you will get much more. If you are on a lower budget, I highly recommend the Sheraton Skyline (which I reviewed here) as an alternative to other expensive hotels in London.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 9:01 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I've read through the threads and have a couple of questions. I have stayed here solo three or four times, and as a Plat I have been upgraded to I guess what's called an Executive room. This coming Oct, I'll be bringing hubby with me for a 4 night stay (fingers crossed that he doesn't cancel out--- as he always has in the past), and as he only will stay in a suite (needs 2 tv's for sports etc). I've been checking the rates, and on the SPG web site there are some special deals (3 for 2, Taste of Luxury, etc) where a suite will run anywhere from gbp 1278- 1900! So I'm thinking about using 80,000 points to merely upgrade to a suite from my corp rate of 172 per night-- only unlike what's posted here, I'm being told that I can only request a suite upgrade 5 days prior-- if available?? Is that correct?? or should I just call back and get a different SPG Plat person? Also, and more important (re-2 tv's) some have mentioned that suites are not always 2 rooms-- but just a larger room with a sitting area?? Would using points get us a 1 bedroom suite or just the larger area 'room' ??? Thanks--
PS- Thanks for the post on how expensive breakfast is *$80 US", hubby always wants breakfast, and NEVER looks at the prices, so I think I will book one of those breakfast incl packages as well.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 9:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mauld
I've read through the threads and have a couple of questions. I have stayed here solo three or four times, and as a Plat I have been upgraded to I guess what's called an Executive room. This coming Oct, I'll be bringing hubby with me for a 4 night stay (fingers crossed that he doesn't cancel out--- as he always has in the past), and as he only will stay in a suite (needs 2 tv's for sports etc). I've been checking the rates, and on the SPG web site there are some special deals (3 for 2, Taste of Luxury, etc) where a suite will run anywhere from gbp 1278- 1900! So I'm thinking about using 80,000 points to merely upgrade to a suite from my corp rate of 172 per night-- only unlike what's posted here, I'm being told that I can only request a suite upgrade 5 days prior-- if available?? Is that correct?? or should I just call back and get a different SPG Plat person? Also, and more important (re-2 tv's) some have mentioned that suites are not always 2 rooms-- but just a larger room with a sitting area?? Would using points get us a 1 bedroom suite or just the larger area 'room' ??? Thanks--
PS- Thanks for the post on how expensive breakfast is *$80 US", hubby always wants breakfast, and NEVER looks at the prices, so I think I will book one of those breakfast incl packages as well.
Just book the Presidential Suite at The Dorchester
Old Apr 16, 2007, 4:16 am
Y'z

Originally Posted by mauld
I'm thinking about using 80,000 points to merely upgrade to a suite from my corp rate of 172 per night
I have a question too. My question is, I guess, suite is located in only butler floor and then when you stay at a suite (even if you use your points for upgrade), can you get full english breakfast as part of butler floor benefits? Does someone experience?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:42 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Y'z
I have a question too. My question is, I guess, suite is located in only butler floor and then when you stay at a suite (even if you use your points for upgrade), can you get full english breakfast as part of butler floor benefits? Does someone experience?

The one time we used this bene they brought up a full breakfast (without the stewed tomato which I can live without even though I generally like tomatoes) Eggs, toast, ham, etc. Plus coffee and orange juice.

We decided that butler was worth it IF for some reason you needed/wanted breakfast in your room.

Otherwise, I've never really been a big butler fan. I love service as much as the next gal but butlers always seem a tad superfluous. I feel the same way about turndown service.

But that's just me.

edited to add: Yes- we used points to upgrade to the butler room.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:24 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I think the question Y'z is asking is are the suites ONLY on the Butler floor? And if that is the case, does everyone (Suites/Rooms) on that floor get the full breakfast?

I too, would find absolutely no need for a Butler. I can't imagine wanting to have someone unpack for me, we don't have a need for assistance in getting theatre tickets or dinning reservations, don't have a need for dry cleaning and I think we should be able to pour our own tea. But I would like to be able to use the points for a suite, just to have the added room/tv's. Has anyone had luck using points to upgrade prior to the 5 day arrival period that SPG is telling me?
Old May 16, 2007, 5:25 pm

Currently at the hotel. The outside and the lobby are less than impressive. Looks old and badly in need of an overhaul.

The "upgraded" room overlooks the park and the hotel's location is quite convenient.

Room is oddly shaped given the circular nature of the hotel itself. Decent sized but my reaction after coming from America, was that it was a bit small. In reality, more than enough room to work at the desk, sleep and functionally does the job. Clean and overall not bad.

New elevators require you to punch in the floor number before you enter (not in the elevator but outside). Actually leads to quicker and probably more efficient routing and therefore shorter wait times.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Looking for good choices for July 2007

I'm glad I found this in the search feature. I'm heading back to London after 2 years (almost 2 years to the day) and I am looking to shake up my hotel choices a bit. Last time I stayed at Park Lane (only things I didn't care for were the bed and the lack of good air conditioning in the heatwave of July 2005) and then I switched to Sheraton Belgravia where I was upgraded to a junior something (all in one room) but it had 2 window-type air condiioners which I blasted full force and was fine.

This time, I have booked Belgravia again for the most part, but I did switch to Le Meridien for 2 nights, too. I'm re-reading all these threads and wonder if I should go back to Park Lane or try Park Tower instead of Le Meridien.

I'm also stumped by the absence of Starwood hotels by Gatwick airport! I loved Sheraton Skyline when I flew from Heathrow to Germany, but can't find anything near Gatwick.

Anyone stay recently who can give me updates on the London Starwoods? I'm looking for good Platinum upgrades, am using points for 5 of 9 nights and want a comfy bed. I did like the location of Park Lane but the air conditioning not working well and the bed with the separation didn't impress me. I won't be staying at Lanesborough unless they have a major sale (I decided to spend my extra money on 1st class airfare as I can't imagine that long a flight in coach) but I do like to go to the theater and go to the parks and museums.

I'm also trying to remember how I got to the hotel from Gatwick Airport- anyone know a decently priced car service or shared ride van? If I recall correctly, the cabs are awfully expensive!

I'm all for switching it up as far as the hotels go- might as well get credit for different stays, but I notice that the points needed to stay at most hotels are pretty much up there. I was hoping for Park Tower, but I'm not spending 20-25000 points a night!

Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2007, 8:45 am

I was told you couldn't actually use points to get a Butler as they are speciality rooms..
Old Jul 14, 2007, 12:46 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Pumpkink
I was told you couldn't actually use points to get a Butler as they are speciality rooms..
I believe if you use points to upgrade to a suite, then the butler comes with the suite...

Don't get too hung up on a butler. It's not that special - think room service attendant. If you can get upgraded to a butler floor then great, but dont go out of your way to pay for a butler.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 3:44 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ACfly
I believe if you use points to upgrade to a suite, then the butler comes with the suite...

Don't get too hung up on a butler. It's not that special - think room service attendant. If you can get upgraded to a butler floor then great, but dont go out of your way to pay for a butler.

I agree. I like this hotel a lot and we're going back again next spring, but the butler was pretty lame.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:48 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Just an update - apprently as of July 1st London hotels have gone smoke-free? Anyone else have any details about this? It's certainly good news for non-smokers if that's the case - I'm not sure if this translates to all the rooms becoming non-smoking or not.

BTW - I've stayed 4 times at the Park Tower and I think the hotel is great. The concierge there is terrific, and the location can't be beat. The room are smallish but they make an excellent use of the space, and the staff is very friendly. It's an older style hotel, but kept up very well.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:44 pm

Wow, what a thread. Ok, so we're booked right now at the Park Lane for 14500 pts a night in a studio suite (regular price of $586 nt), buy 4 nts get the 5th free. We're staying 7 or 10 nights, just not sure yet. We currently have 104k starwood pts, the most we've ever had and want to use them in London. The candid pics on Trip Advisor of the Park Lane and the recent reviews of the Park Lane have us second guessing the decision to stay there in the Studio Suite. It looks pretty dreary.

Then some kind folks steered us to the Belgravia instead, which does look alot better even though it's not "ground central". It too is 14500 pts a night for a Studio Suite with the buy 4 get 1 free on pts. The cost of that room is $727 a nt, alot more than the exact same points at the Park Lane.

I told my wife that the Park Tower is 20k points, WAY too many for us to spend in Europe, but then she said "It's only 5500 pts a night more., for a luxury collection hotel that gets much better reviews than the other 2 hotels and looks nicer inside and out? Let's do it!" It cost $545 cash for the "Classic Room" in the Park Tower and $667 for an executive room. We can get the studio suite for the lower pts at the Belgravia with a $727 value a nt... so, you see why we're confused?

I personally am nervous about spending that many pts a night of our precious pts for the Park Tower. We'll accumulate another 20K pts or so using our Starwood Amex between now and 2 months before our trip next May 31, 2008to London, but I'd hate to use ALOT more pts to stay at the Park Tower if it's not incredibly nicer and "so much more worth" the difference between it and the Belgravia for instance. Or, have the Park Lane's Studio Suites for the 14500 pts been magically updated and renovated this month? ) They're in a great location being walking distance to the theater.

Lastly, is May 31 peak season? Are we looking at TONS and TONS of tourists that "early" in the summerish season? We're planning on 10 nights in London and 3 in Edinburgh, where we also were hoping to use pts or if we had to, a 50% off SPG coupon for the Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa there.

So, save the pts and just do the Belgravia? Or "go for it" and blow the pts at the Park Tower? It's her first trip to London and I wanted her to really enjoy it. She loves really nice hotels as they usually make the trip for her. Whever I've tried to save money in the past in Italy, it was never worth it. Some of the 3 star hotels I booked were ghastly in Positano and Capri. Live and learn... We switched after 1 night in each to a much more expensive 4 star and were pleased as punch.

And yes, I did read through much of this thread and MANY others, but still can't decide. 20k pts a night is ALOT for us. We usually never spend more than 12k pts a night. Maybe it's worth it in London though?

Steve R
Silver Spring MD
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by stever500
We're booked right now at the Park Lane for 14500 pts a night in a studio suite (regular price of $586 nt), buy 4 nts get the 5th free.
The PL is my favorite *Wood in London. Others disagree, but that's why they run horse races. My thoughts are that you won't be spending an incredible amount of time IN THE ROOM, you are very close to WestEnd attractions, and I've had very good luck both with staff and with my rooms. I particularly like the Studio Suites, which I believe are comparable to the Executive rooms. PM me if you're interested in a particularly nice room number.
The candid pics on Trip Advisor of the Park Lane and the recent reviews of the Park Lane have us second guessing the decision to stay there in the Studio Suite. It looks pretty dreary.
I generally take TA with a modest sized GOS. You have to decide what you want to do, but I stay with my PL recomendation.
Then some kind folks steered us to the Belgravia
IMO, not as conveniently located. YMMV.
I personally am nervous about spending that many pts a night of our precious pts for the Park Tower.
I agree. Now the trick is to convince the SO!
More pts to stay at the Park Tower if it's not incredibly nicer and "so much more worth" the difference between it and the Belgravia for instance.
It's not worth it.
They're in a great location being walking distance to the theater.
Precisely.

Best wishes for a great trip! Dave
Old Aug 7, 2007, 2:37 pm

Dave,

I can't thank you enough for that excellent info! I think we'll just keep our reservation for the moment then, at the Park Lane, and pray to the "nice hotel room gods" that we get a decent room to stay in and not a crusty, threadbare example instead. Jeez, you think they'd just upgrade and renovate these old Sheraton properties so guys like me would get a killer room when I go on vacation ) and report back happy experiences.

I'm guessing the Studio Suite is worth the 1000 pt premium over an executive room at the Park Lane, right? (13500 vs 14500 pts) That's not much of a point difference... If you look at the candid pics on Trip Advisor of the Park Lane, the rooms look fairly hideous.

Steve R

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.