Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico - Westin or Sheraton? 2005 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico - Westin or Sheraton? 2005 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:10 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Renovations to the Lounge. But they offered complimentary breakfast buffet overlooking the pools and drinks as well as snacks in the evening in the bar next to the business center.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:04 pm

Programs: US CP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Cabo: Hotel Choice and Weather

Tried the google search without much success. Found a couple of posts on Cabo, but not too much.

Making a trip for Labor Day from PHL to visit my bro/sis-in-law/cousins in SAN. 2 nights in SAN and the rest of the time to vacation. We fly out Friday, stay until the following Sunday. Wife and I are thinking about Cabo, but aren't 100% yet...although the trip out west is definite. We were thinking about flying from SAN to Cabo and spending 5-6 days down there.

How hot is it in Cabo in early September?
What are my chances of hurricane?
If no hurricane, is there much rain?
How's the Sheraton vs the Westin (inlcuding location)?
Are there more kids at Sheraton or Westin?

To put the weather thing into perspective, I wouldn't suggest anyone travel to St. Thomas in September due to chances of rain and hurricane. The heat wouldn't bother me, but I was in St. Thomas last early November and it rained every day for 5 days...with no Hurricane in sight.

For a 5 night stay, we'd probably get out of the hotel for 2 days to putz around and spend 2 nights getting out of the hotel to have dinner and maybe hit up a bar somewhere. Not sure where the Westin is located, but I'm a little nervous it is a bit too far from anything. Did I tell you I'd prefer a hotel that may have less children in it?

Been most places on the west coast that have SPG hotels (LA area, SF area, SAN, Seattle, Vegas, Arizona), but any other ideas for a neat 5-day trip on the west coast will be most appreciated in case Cabo doesn't sound too appealing. We are using miles to SAN, but will be paying for the flight for this trip...we are limiting ourselves to SPG hotels using points.

Any suggestions/thoughts are most appreciated. My apologies for the excessive amount of information. Mrs. PHL INTL TERMINAL says I've been obsessing about this vacation.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:42 pm

How hot is it in Cabo in early September?
What are my chances of hurricane?
If no hurricane, is there much rain?
How's the Sheraton vs the Westin (inlcuding location)?
Are there more kids at Sheraton or Westin?

How hot ? Unbelivably Hot and Humid 95-98 and 95% Humidity. For an AZ person, I'll never go again in Aug/Sep

Hurricane ? I think they are typhoons is the pacific. But its possible
Westin is awesome, but the ocean is not swimmable. Heard the Sheraton is nice also.

Westin had a kids club, not sure about SHeraton

Hope it helps

Ken in Phx
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:41 am

Any thoughts on which location is better? Based on the trip report, the Westin may sound like a better choice - adult only pool, and upgrade to club which sounds like a pretty good deal for breakfast and drinks.

Since it appears to be about 20 miles from Cabo San Lucas, how much is cab fare/shuttle service? Is there much to do outside the Westin? Or is it pretty remote?

Does the Sheraton have a club level?
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by PHL INTL TERMINAL
Any thoughts on which location is better? Based on the trip report, the Westin may sound like a better choice - adult only pool, and upgrade to club which sounds like a pretty good deal for breakfast and drinks.

Since it appears to be about 20 miles from Cabo San Lucas, how much is cab fare/shuttle service? Is there much to do outside the Westin? Or is it pretty remote?

Does the Sheraton have a club level?
Sheraton does not have a club level, which is one reason that I chose the Westin. The shuttle is $11/person round trip, and $9 to San Jose. Although we didn't avail ourselves to the timeshare presentation, you would get free shuttle service to both towns if you agree to the presentation. The Westin is closer to San Jose, which is a cute little town with some great food options and little shops. We never took a cab to Cabo, but heard $28 one way. What are you looking to do? The adult pool was fantastic, very, very quiet. FYI -- I loved the Westin.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:31 pm

Honesly I have no idea what we would do!!! I think we would like to get out of the hotel for a day or two and maybe see some cool beaches, go fishing, or go snorkeling/scuba diving. I get bored after a bit and want to get out. Don't think I'm going to be hitting any shopping or anything as our plan is to go in September.

We are not looking to get crazy at the clubs...but at the same time, I can't just sit around at the pool for a week. Maybe a jet ski? Maybe one night at a fun bar? Last time in Cancun, we spent the week at the Westin, but we went to the center of town for two nights, which was enough for us. We wouldn't have made the trip if it was $40 or so each way.

Are the beaches any better in Cabo San Lucas?
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:38 am

We went to either town almost every night, and found the shuttle service very convenient. $18 or $22 is what we would spend in cabs in Chicago on any given day, so I didn't find the shuttle prices in Cabo so outrageous. Unless you are dying for a swimming beach, stay at the Westin. I believe the Hilton has one, as do the beaches closer to Cabo (Playa del Medano).
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by kindra178
We went to either town almost every night, and found the shuttle service very convenient.
How late do the shuttles run these days?

We visited the Westin Los Cabos back around 1999 (and LOVED it), but as I recall, the last shuttle from Cabo San Lucas back to the hotel left at around 10pm (way too early), so we'd usually wind up paying for a taxi.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Platinum upgrades at Westin or Sheraton in Cabo?

Headed to Cabo over Memorial day weekend, am planning on staying one night at either the Westin or the Sheraton before moving to Esperanza for the balance of the week....As a platinum, should I expect any upgrades at either property? Any experiences you care to share would be helpful...also, if we are just planning on hanging out at the beach for the day, which is the better choice?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 4:00 pm

Location: Bullhead, AZ out of McCarran (Las Vegas) International Airport
Programs: AA & SPG
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Headed to Cabo over Memorial day weekend, am planning on staying one night at either the Westin or the Sheraton before moving to Esperanza for the balance of the week....As a platinum, should I expect any upgrades at either property? Any experiences you care to share would be helpful...also, if we are just planning on hanging out at the beach for the day, which is the better choice?

Good luck getting a room at the Westin. I reserved one a couple of months ago and there weren't too many rooms available.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:45 am

I recently returned from a 7 night stay at the Sheraton. No room upgrade was available as the resort was booked, though the desk attendant recognized my Plat status and did check. The ocean view room was spacious and well appointed, and the property is very well maintained. There are 4 large pools and the private beach is great. I don't believe the Westin has a private beach as it's situated on cliffs.

I would highly recommend the Sheraton if you just want to stay on the beach.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I've only stayed at the Sheraton, but I'm pretty sure the Westin does have a beach though the terrain is much more rugged in the surrounding area and it is more isolated than the Sheraton. I second the recommendation regarding Sheraton's beach though. When we were there a few years back, the hotel was booked, but we had the entire beach to ourselves. The pool seemes much more popular. Note that swimming is not recommended in the ocean due to currents, but the shade huts on the beach make for nice lounging.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by NYStile
I recently returned from a 7 night stay at the Sheraton. No room upgrade was available as the resort was booked, though the desk attendant recognized my Plat status and did check. The ocean view room was spacious and well appointed, and the property is very well maintained. There are 4 large pools and the private beach is great. I don't believe the Westin has a private beach as it's situated on cliffs.

I would highly recommend the Sheraton if you just want to stay on the beach.
The Westin does have a beach, but the property seems to be right up against the coast. Since it's built into the cliff, the lobby is at the top of the hill and everything is down from there. FWIW, I found the desgin and atmosphere at the Westin to be very sterile and cold...not as welcoming as others in Cabo.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 5:43 pm

Programs: CO; UA; Delta; Hilton Gold; SPG
Just to be clear: due to the very strong current and large waves, you are not allowed to swim on the beach at the Westin. Signs are posted forbidding it, and employees will chase after if you try to go in.

Once you see the waves, you'll see why. That said, it is a fabulous hotel (which has won numerous awards for its architecture) in a breath-taking setting.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
How is the weather there in the end of June - is it too hot? And is this a good property to go to with a six month old on a weekend, or is it too party/convention oriented?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.