Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: SPG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
To echo what others have said, high end Maldives resorts are not the best choice if one is already concerned about the cost of sea plane transfers, which are by the way competitively priced at this resort. Even if all or part of the room rate is paid in points, you can expect a week in the Maldives to cost a five figure amount.

And a chartered flight would cost thousands more than the shared transfer price, btw.
A few notes here, based on our experience, the total cost is a bit exaggerated. We were there for 8 days in July. We paid for everything using points (however, take note that you can't actually pay for the seaplane transfer using points anymore-- they had originally told us that we could, so they honored that for us as an exception).

We didnt skimp on food/drink, either. We had the free breakfast as platinums, and usually, a pizza in the afternoon was all we needed to feel full after that. We still ate dinner most nights, too. The only cash I paid at the end of our stay was for the green tax.

Our food and beverage/spa total for the 8 days was something like $2200 or so for my wife and me.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:05 am

Well, it depends on the situation and how you order. I can't do the "big breakfast" and then piecemeal food throughout the rest of the day trick. I am more likely to sleep through breakfast, have a nice lunch, and then come dinner time it's a full a la carte meal with multiple courses and at least one, if not two bottles of wine. So, eating that way, and then including spa treatments and activities like scuba diving or excursions, it's very easy to spend approximately $1,000 per day on incidentals in the Maldives. Sometimes more, something less, but again it depends on what kind of activities you do and how you order in the restaurants.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:30 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ants1
Our food and beverage/spa total for the 8 days was something like $2200 or so for my wife and me.
That isn't too bad at all for 8 days. Our budget could not stretch to this St Regis in this instance but we are currently at the Conrad ... and boy oh boy ... am I impressed with this place. We spent $700 just for one dinner - under the water though - that was crazy and we expect bill shock when we check out I do however hope to visit this St Regis one day *fingers crossed*
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:17 pm

What do they ask for as a deposit (per day) when you check in at this property?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:54 pm

Well, it depends on the situation and how you order. I can't do the "big breakfast" and then piecemeal food throughout the rest of the day trick. I am more likely to sleep through breakfast, have a nice lunch, and then come dinner time it's a full a la carte meal with multiple courses and at least one, if not two bottles of wine. So, eating that way, and then including spa treatments and activities like scuba diving or excursions, it's very easy to spend approximately $1,000 per day on incidentals in the Maldives. Sometimes more, something less, but again it depends on what kind of activities you do and how you order in the restaurants.
Yes, you are absolutely right. The water sports are prohibitively expensive, but we thought everything else was reasonably priced.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
What do they ask for as a deposit (per day) when you check in at this property?
They pre-authorized $3500 on my Amex. Not sure whether it's the same amount for all or if it's based on the length of stay (for us, that was 8 days).
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:25 pm

The same at a lot of other resorts; $500/night. Seems to be the standard in the Maldives even though F&B prices can vary considerably.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Indeed I don't see the point in schlepping to a luxury resort only to live like a monk.

I spent circa $2k on booze alone.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:26 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Just returned from a site inspection visit to One & Only and St. Regis.

We found St. Regis to be soooo much better than O&O. Actually, we were ready to leave O&O by day 2. But I'll keep the focus on St. Regis.

Other details have been discussed but I'll touch up on the service once again. We were so surprised at how good the service was. It was almost Aman like. My wife is left handed and they placed noticed and placed meals accordingly. Also, noticed that we prefer still water and after first day, all drinks were still water without being ask, in the restaurant. All staff smiled when encountered and were all warm people that we chatted extensively with. Really enjoyed it. Our butler, Adam was/is one of their rock stars and he basically made us custom ice tea each afternoon. The other staff heard and it became a contest. We received a different tea from multiple staff each day...it was awesome to see they take such pleasure in making guests feel special.

As an agent, I'm always curious if we receive better treatment for obvious reasons. So we met some friends there and they can confirmed they felt the same way. In fact, I actually had a client that was booked at O&O for this week, I decided to encourage them to shift to St. Regis as I think they will actually enjoy it much more. Here's what my client just sent me:

"Hey Hao! We are thoroughly enjoying everything here. It is truly an exceptional place. The staff has been amazing with us and with the kids. The Pastry chef has even made custom donuts with our kids' names on it this morning. The only other place we have seen this type of service is the Amans in Bali. I think you/we made the right choice moving from O&O."

I don't think the hard product can compete with the likes of Cheval Blanc or Soneva Jani but when service is flawless, it certainly makes a holiday special. The villa are still very nice, though!

The management also doesn't nickle and dime you. They worked with me in booking my client and pretty much took care of their young boys (2 and 4). I highly recommend St. Regis, if you're looking for a family friend place with high service and still private and secluded.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Cheers!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Just returned from a site inspection visit to My wife is left handed and they placed noticed and placed meals accordingly.
Sounds like service has definitely improved since I went a few months ago. I made it a point to move the cutlery around in front of the wait staff as a "service test", but nothing ever changed for the next meal (or even same meal if the cutlery was changed).

I even specified exactly how I would like my coffee each morning and it was never done right the entire stay. Every morning was an apology game and they would remake the coffee. I just wanted a proper cappuccino w/ 1/3 espresso, 1/3 steamed milk, 1/3 foam. Foam was always lacking (usually just a small spoon worth).
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:18 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by araknis
Sounds like service has definitely improved since I went a few months ago. I made it a point to move the cutlery around in front of the wait staff as a "service test", but nothing ever changed for the next meal (or even same meal if the cutlery was changed).

I even specified exactly how I would like my coffee each morning and it was never done right the entire stay. Every morning was an apology game and they would remake the coffee. I just wanted a proper cappuccino w/ 1/3 espresso, 1/3 steamed milk, 1/3 foam. Foam was always lacking (usually just a small spoon worth).
Yeah, we were surprised...The new GM may have helped with the change. Alex has only been in the seat since May, I think...or a few months at the most. But that's a pretty quick turn around, if it's his doing.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by araknis

Agree orders not being simply forgotten at breakfast would be progress.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:33 am

Thank you for your feedback!

We just returned from Maldives and choose Soneva Jani over St Regis as I feared service issues at St Regis and people also should keep in mind that the entry level villa at Jani accomodates a family with 2 children, making the St Regis far less interesting for us (despite Plat status and earnings).

Your feedback is highly appreciated and I will keep this in mind when we return to Maldives.

Just returned from a site inspection visit to One & Only and St. Regis.

We found St. Regis to be soooo much better than O&O. Actually, we were ready to leave O&O by day 2. But I'll keep the focus on St. Regis.

Other details have been discussed but I'll touch up on the service once again. We were so surprised at how good the service was. It was almost Aman like. My wife is left handed and they placed noticed and placed meals accordingly. Also, noticed that we prefer still water and after first day, all drinks were still water without being ask, in the restaurant. All staff smiled when encountered and were all warm people that we chatted extensively with. Really enjoyed it. Our butler, Adam was/is one of their rock stars and he basically made us custom ice tea each afternoon. The other staff heard and it became a contest. We received a different tea from multiple staff each day...it was awesome to see they take such pleasure in making guests feel special.

As an agent, I'm always curious if we receive better treatment for obvious reasons. So we met some friends there and they can confirmed they felt the same way. In fact, I actually had a client that was booked at O&O for this week, I decided to encourage them to shift to St. Regis as I think they will actually enjoy it much more. Here's what my client just sent me:

"Hey Hao! We are thoroughly enjoying everything here. It is truly an exceptional place. The staff has been amazing with us and with the kids. The Pastry chef has even made custom donuts with our kids' names on it this morning. The only other place we have seen this type of service is the Amans in Bali. I think you/we made the right choice moving from O&O."

I don't think the hard product can compete with the likes of Cheval Blanc or Soneva Jani but when service is flawless, it certainly makes a holiday special. The villa are still very nice, though!

The management also doesn't nickle and dime you. They worked with me in booking my client and pretty much took care of their young boys (2 and 4). I highly recommend St. Regis, if you're looking for a family friend place with high service and still private and secluded.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Cheers!

Last edited by Epicura; Aug 5, 2017 at 10:40 am
Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:17 pm
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by Epicura
Thank you for your feedback!

We just returned from Maldives and choose Soneva Jani over St Regis as I feared service issues at St Regis and people also should keep in mind that the entry level villa at Jani accomodates a family with 2 children, making the St Regis far less interesting for us (despite Plat status and earnings).

Your feedback is highly appreciated and I will keep this in mind when we return to Maldives.
My pleasure!

Yes, we weren't sure what to expect as well but were pleasantly surprised. As mentioned, after conversing with other guests and just now having had a client complete a stay there, it seems that we weren't unique in our service experience.

I think Soneva Jani looks to be a remarkable resort and the footprint of the villas are much larger and the waterslide is obviously fantastic for children. I believe Soneve Jani's hard product is probably just better but their rates can be much higher as well.

I will say that Soneva Jani has been great to work with as well. Been willing to assist in upgrading my clients, which I aways appreciate it and think it shows good faith from management and that they aren't looking to nickel and dime guests. But I digress Glad to hear you guys had a great trip!!!
devastor likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
My pleasure!

Yes, we weren't sure what to expect as well but were pleasantly surprised. As mentioned, after conversing with other guests and just now having had a client complete a stay there, it seems that we weren't unique in our service experience.

I think Soneva Jani looks to be a remarkable resort and the footprint of the villas are much larger and the waterslide is obviously fantastic for children. I believe Soneve Jani's hard product is probably just better but their rates can be much higher as well.

I will say that Soneva Jani has been great to work with as well. Been willing to assist in upgrading my clients, which I aways appreciate it and think it shows good faith from management and that they aren't looking to nickel and dime guests. But I digress Glad to hear you guys had a great trip!!!

Can you provide any feedback on the snorkeling or other resort activities?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.