Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:23 am

Wife and I have a trip planned for Thanksgiving week this year, Friday to Friday. What time does the seaplane pick you up and take your back to MLE on your last day? We want to go to Singapore, but are wondering if we'll have to overnight in MLE. Flight leaves for Singapore at 12:55pm on Friday.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:25 am

It depends on when your flight is and it is wholly under the control of, and arranged by, TMA (the seaplane company). The resort only finds out what time your departure is the night before you check out. Having said that, they will usually try to get you there at least a couple of hours before your international departure time. Sometimes you have to wait 3 or more hours in Male.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
It depends on when your flight is and it is wholly under the control of, and arranged by, TMA (the seaplane company). The resort only finds out what time your departure is the night before you check out. Having said that, they will usually try to get you there at least a couple of hours before your international departure time. Sometimes you have to wait 3 or more hours in Male.
Ah okay. Are most of the flights back to MLE in the morning?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:35 pm

Not necessarily. It depends on how many guests are leaving on early flights. TMA also doesn't want half-empty planes so that's why some go back to Male earlier than they expect.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Does anyone know what the seaplane costs for kids are at this resort? Is it 50%?
Edit - Just found answer in the Wiki. Seems to be 50%
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by CalGuy
Wife and I have a trip planned for Thanksgiving week this year, Friday to Friday. What time does the seaplane pick you up and take your back to MLE on your last day? We want to go to Singapore, but are wondering if we'll have to overnight in MLE. Flight leaves for Singapore at 12:55pm on Friday.
You'll probably be on the 9am flight +/-. There's usually about 5 flights per day to this resort (that's what we observed, anyway). Might change, though, as mentioned by others above, depending on loads and weather.

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Edit - Just found answer in the Wiki. Seems to be 50%
Yep, it's half off.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know how far the Conrad is and is it possible to get there via a Boat transfer from here? Doesn't look that far on google maps.

Last edited by onlysuites; Feb 25, 2017 at 9:43 am
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Does anyone know how far the Conrad is and is it possible to get there via a Boat transfer from here? Doesn't look that far on google maps.
I expect it should be doable but you'd need to arrange a private transfer by yourself. Expect a minimum of $400pp I'd say, but of course, the problem is your return flight is from Vommuli... so in the end, you'll just fly via MLE.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I expect it should be doable but you'd need to arrange a private transfer by yourself. Expect a minimum of $400pp I'd say, but of course, the problem is your return flight is from Vommuli... so in the end, you'll just fly via MLE.
Ok thanks. ^
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:14 pm

I called the Conrad about this and they wanted 2K for the boat trip. Unbelieveable.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I called the Conrad about this and they wanted 2K for the boat trip. Unbelieveable.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:00 am

And that wasn't even including tax.....
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:37 pm

the beauty and the need to be improved

Beyond a doubt, this resort has the rooms that are envious for all others in the Maldives. A touch of the ipad to open sheers, blinds, etc. make for a truly 21st c. experience in the middle of paradise!

We had a sunset overwater villa and loved jumping in the pool directly from the bedroom (kids at heart). The pool was in fact cool for most of the day which was a bit surprising but even at the location of our villa, it was in shade most of the day so it couldn't warm up much. This was indeed surprising since it is hot, hot, hot all day and evening. I think this is one of the biggest design flaws of the resort. They should have made infinity pools at the edge of the deck so it could soak up the heat all day and keep the pools toasty. They are also very shallow so that was a surprise. The hammocks are a cool feature but for us very tough material so it wasn't really practical to use unfortunately. The rooms are so open and we loved the floor to ceiling windows/doors. Really beautiful. Another surprise was they didn't make it so you could have some outdoor lights on without others so you had an overhead beacon light and all others or none. I think a simple solution would be to make the lights independent so guests could pick and choose ambiance. Another major miss is the piping. The hot water smells badly like petrol on occasion which kind of made me nervous to use it. The staff knows about it, but how do you fix a systemic issue like this? They said it was safe to use, but it is odd to have this issue at a high-end resort.

We used the bikes a lot and thought that was a great idea and easy to use. There's something magical about riding your bike in the moonlight on the dock to dinner on a warm winter night. It does cause some concern how low the barrier is for the edge of the dock since I imagine someone less used to biking could easily flip over the side into the water!

The food at Orientale was good, not fantastic. It was a good Indian style dinner, but very very expensive for lentils. I guess I hoped for a bit more panache or uniqueness if I was spending that kind of $. We're pretty spoiled with food in CA though so I let it go. Cargo is really good. We love the seabass and lamb and we definitely think the Jordanian chef is a great addition to this hotel. The breakfasts are undefinably great. We had pretty much everything. The best things were the duck confit with french toast (we switched out the waffle since the french toast is phenomenal) and the foie gras with quail egg brioche. We will never forget the breakfasts for sure.

Our butler was ok- he did bring coffee and tea but he spaced our reservations at Cargo so we could only go one night.

Another major miss for us is the lack of activities currently offered- no sunset sailing, tandem parasailing (sail only allows for max 250 lbs so 2 normal adults are precluded from weight limit), no kite surfing, etc. The snorkel trip is at 10am and breakfast ends at 10:30am so it wasn't a plan for us to eat and snorkel afterwards but some others may be ok with it.

I think it has possibilities, but there are still kinks to work out and we'll probably choose another resort next time but it was fun to try. If you're on points, it's definitely worth going and by the time you go, more and more will be worked out.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by spellbound2
Beyond a doubt, this resort has the rooms that are envious for all others in the Maldives. A touch of the ipad to open sheers, blinds, etc. make for a truly 21st c. experience in the middle of paradise!

We had a sunset overwater villa and loved jumping in the pool directly from the bedroom (kids at heart). The pool was in fact cool for most of the day which was a bit surprising but even at the location of our villa, it was in shade most of the day so it couldn't warm up much. This was indeed surprising since it is hot, hot, hot all day and evening. I think this is one of the biggest design flaws of the resort. They should have made infinity pools at the edge of the deck so it could soak up the heat all day and keep the pools toasty. They are also very shallow so that was a surprise. The hammocks are a cool feature but for us very tough material so it wasn't really practical to use unfortunately. The rooms are so open and we loved the floor to ceiling windows/doors. Really beautiful. Another surprise was they didn't make it so you could have some outdoor lights on without others so you had an overhead beacon light and all others or none. I think a simple solution would be to make the lights independent so guests could pick and choose ambiance. Another major miss is the piping. The hot water smells badly like petrol on occasion which kind of made me nervous to use it. The staff knows about it, but how do you fix a systemic issue like this? They said it was safe to use, but it is odd to have this issue at a high-end resort.

We used the bikes a lot and thought that was a great idea and easy to use. There's something magical about riding your bike in the moonlight on the dock to dinner on a warm winter night. It does cause some concern how low the barrier is for the edge of the dock since I imagine someone less used to biking could easily flip over the side into the water!

The food at Orientale was good, not fantastic. It was a good Indian style dinner, but very very expensive for lentils. I guess I hoped for a bit more panache or uniqueness if I was spending that kind of $. We're pretty spoiled with food in CA though so I let it go. Cargo is really good. We love the seabass and lamb and we definitely think the Jordanian chef is a great addition to this hotel. The breakfasts are undefinably great. We had pretty much everything. The best things were the duck confit with french toast (we switched out the waffle since the french toast is phenomenal) and the foie gras with quail egg brioche. We will never forget the breakfasts for sure.

Our butler was ok- he did bring coffee and tea but he spaced our reservations at Cargo so we could only go one night.

Another major miss for us is the lack of activities currently offered- no sunset sailing, tandem parasailing (sail only allows for max 250 lbs so 2 normal adults are precluded from weight limit), no kite surfing, etc. The snorkel trip is at 10am and breakfast ends at 10:30am so it wasn't a plan for us to eat and snorkel afterwards but some others may be ok with it.

I think it has possibilities, but there are still kinks to work out and we'll probably choose another resort next time but it was fun to try. If you're on points, it's definitely worth going and by the time you go, more and more will be worked out.
Thanks for a great review - you hit all the important points.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Regarding the water temp, I'm a bit surprised to read all the reviews stating that the pool water is cold. I'm on the sunrise side and the pool water probably ranges from 78-81F. What's interesting is that the ocean water is cooler than the pool water by 1-2 degrees and I haven't seen anyone comment that the ocean water is cold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.