Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:06 am

.....the terms and conditions of SPG program, 2.1.a.ii or Section 2.1.a.iii. Eligible Charges do not include any complimentary services,
That's redundant.....but funny at the same time.

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker III
According to the terms and conditions of SPG program, 2.1.a.ii or Section 2.1.a.iii. Eligible Charges do not include.....(B)..... spa products and services
One less reason to join SPG I suppose, considering I spend anywhere from $300 to 1K on treatments for my girlfriend each time we visit the Maldives.

Last edited by yosithezet; Nov 26, 2016 at 9:27 am Reason: Removed foreign language
Old Nov 25, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
One less reason to join SPG I suppose, considering I spend anywhere from $300 to 1K on treatments for my girlfriend each time we visit the Maldives. 你们干吗那么小汽?!
In your case, as a big spa spender, if you were to join SPG and earn gold status before your stay, this hotel would be screwing you out of 900 to 3000 Starpoints from your spa spend alone. With 900 points you could order a free cocktail at many Westins. With 3k points you could have a free night in the Four Points by Sheraton at the Detroit, Tucson, or Kansas City airports. I think that opportunity cost alone is enough reason to ignore SPG and head back to the Conrad.

FWIW, I stayed at the W 5 years ago, and received points for hotel room, restaurants, and minibar only. No points for diving, plane, spa, or excursions.

On the other hand, I have 3 separate trips booked to Vommuli, and I'm really hoping to use at least one.

Last edited by ps9a; Nov 25, 2016 at 3:43 pm
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:37 pm

FYI for anyone using a card that is NOT in USD, the hotel will pre-auth in your native currency using DCC, which adds a @#%! load to the transaction. I'll be asking them to reverse the charge and re-charge in USD this morning...
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by tylerc
FYI for anyone using a card that is NOT in USD, the hotel will pre-auth in your native currency using DCC, which adds a @#%! load to the transaction. I'll be asking them to reverse the charge and re-charge in USD this morning...
I wonder if you can give a USD card to preauth, and a different card to pay? I suspect that should be doable.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tylerc
What difference does it make? The pre-auth is not real spend, provided it never actually crystallises as a charge the amount of it is fairly irrelevant unless you are eking out a marginal credit limit.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
What difference does it make? The pre-auth is not real spend, provided it never actually crystallises as a charge the amount of it is fairly irrelevant unless you are eking out a marginal credit limit.
The preauth is not the problem, the eventual payment is, since you might not realise it until you've left the hotel or whatnot. At least now with the preauth you can remember to flag this as a problem.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
The preauth is not the problem, the eventual payment is, since you might not realise it until you've left the hotel or whatnot. At least now with the preauth you can remember to flag this as a problem.
DCC conversion requires active cardholder consent, any slip you sign has to have the consent field in it to apply DCC, you also will notice a final bill being presented in another currency. If you didn't consent then you can dispute the DCC element of the transaction.

Difficult not to remember to pick up a bill presented in a third currency.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:59 pm

I get into Male at 9:30 PM on the 4th, so I will not be able to take a seaplane to the StR at that point. Any of you have a recommendation for a convenient and quality stopover hotel for that night? Also, what are the StR airport lounge hours?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:25 pm

We always stay at Hotel Octave. Reasonably priced. Clean and good service. Here are the links to their website and TripAdvisor review.

TripAdvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...tave-Male.html

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Dec 1, 2016 at 4:33 pm
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:33 pm

We always stay at Hotel Octave. Reasonably priced. Clean and good service. Here are the links to their website and TripAdvisor review.

And i'm doing the Crystal Beach Inn. seems like an okay property.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:37 pm

Crystal Beach Inn was ok - clean room, bed not so great, but only for 1 night. Edible breakfast in the morning, and free airport shuttle.

StR butler will still meet you at the airport to ensure you get to your stopover hotel, and they will work with the hotel directly to arrange your transfer times.

Unfortunately the Bentley isn't ready yet

I'm told the Bentley is in Male, but awaiting paperwork before being put in use, which they expect will occur around December 15th.

The seaplane terminal lounge is quite basic - they're building a new lounge, but it is also not ready.

Cargo is not yet open either...not sure when that will be open, but I was looking forward to that as a dining option.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I get into Male at 9:30 PM on the 4th, so I will not be able to take a seaplane to the StR at that point. Any of you have a recommendation for a convenient and quality stopover hotel for that night? Also, what are the StR airport lounge hours?
I'll likely see you on the 5th - we will be departing on the latest possible seaplane that day. Hopefully it is towards the end of the day, as our flight isn't until 23:55!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:40 pm

They've assured me they will release the pre-auth at checkout and bill me in whichever currency I would like...
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent

I stayed at the Hotel Octave last time I was in the Maldives 2 years ago, but I am opting for the Crystal Beach Inn this time.

Octave was definitely reasonable for one night -- clean, decent breakfast, reliable transport to/from the airport -- but I am still opting for the Crystal Beach Inn this time for one main reason, Octave is in Male, and Crystal Beach Inn is on Hulhumale, the same island as the airport.

Compare:
Airport -> Walk -> Ferry -> Car -> Octave -> Car -> Public Ferry -> Walk -> Bentley/Car/SUV -> Seaplane Terminal
Total time: One hour each way
Transfers: 9

Airport -> Bentley/Car/SUV -> Crystal Beach Inn -> Bentley/Car/SUV -> Seaplane Terminal
Total time: 15 minutes each way
Tranfers: 4

Yes, the 'Airport Butler' and the overnight's hotel staff will help, but it's still an extra hassle dealing with going to the main island.

If you'd like to actually spend time walking around Male, I suppose there might be a reason to deal with all of that hassle, but if it's just "I'd like to sleep and then be on my way", I don't see the point.

I'll be landing at Male in the late evening, and I'd certainly rather not add an extra hour of travel time, just so I can head to the Sealplane terminal first thing in the morning.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:50 am

Okay is a perfect way to describe it. I tried to take a shower after arrival and one in the morning but both times there was no hot water. Also the sheets were very poor quality (I know, true first world problem). Place was clean and everyone working there was very nice. Shuttle service was excellent considering our luggage didn't arrive and we left the terminal probably 30 minutes after the last passenger from our flight. The breakfast included sausage, egg, toast and some sliced oranges. I only spent 7 hours at the property but this time around I'm going to try the Rivethi Beach hotel which is located in the same area. Staying on the same island as the airport I prefer for these quick stops before hitting paradise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.