Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2009, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Do they really have a guest room with no windows--none at all?

I wouldn't be surprised if such a room really is not given out to paying guests on a regular basis. It may be used for staff who have to overnight or for an emergency replacement for a room.
Apparently so:

Originally Posted by dlcanada

Since the windowless Junior Suite had a King bed and a larger bathroom, I went ahead and changed rooms.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
They have a junior suite without a window in the bedroom. However, this is a two-room suite. The living room has windows.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 4:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
They have a junior suite without a window in the bedroom. However, this is a two-room suite. The living room has windows.
Well, if this is the type of room that dlcanada was talking about, then I would be upset because that seems more like a full suite to me and since one is not in a windowless prison cell, this is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: PC Platinum Royal Ambassador, Aeroplan Elite, Miles&More Senator, SPG Platinum
Westin Grand Berlin

Originally Posted by pitbrian
If you just hit platinum, my guess is that they had you in the system as gold. This happened to me all the time after I hit plat. Granted, he still shouldn't have lied about the availability of Junior Suites, but I think you will have a better chance getting pre-upgraded if you cancel all current reservations and rebook as a plat (if the same or better rates are available).
Yes, you raise a good point. This could have been the case, but as I think about it more, I remember that I was offered a choice of additional points, a fruit tray, or wine....I think this is a Platinum benefit, so I can only conclude that he knew that I was a Plat.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: PC Platinum Royal Ambassador, Aeroplan Elite, Miles&More Senator, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I think you all are being a bit hard on the agent. I surely would have blown my stack if the junior suite did have windows, but since the OP moved and has not contradicted it, I think that the agent may have been truly thinking that such room was inferior. So, I would not call this an out and out lie, but the agent should have been more forthcoming, that is certainly clear.
Hmmm...unfortunately, the agent was given the perfect opportunity to offer me the choice when I directly asked him whether any Junior Suites were available. His reply was "no".
Old Nov 7, 2009, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Well, if this is the type of room that dlcanada was talking about, then I would be upset because that seems more like a full suite to me and since one is not in a windowless prison cell, this is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
Yes, it is room 169. As Flying Lawyer stated, it is a 2-room suite. However, neither the bedroom nor the living room has a window....but they both have wall-to-wall curtains!

As a Gold at the time, I was upgraded to this room last May, so I knew what to expect. It is very spacious and comfortable....just without windows. It also has a variety of fitness equipment in the living room (e.g exercise bike, small barbells, exercise ball, and Pilates DVD)

I tend to agree with soitgoes...the hotel probably doesn't "sell" this room very often, especially since the online reservation system offers Junior Suites and 1-BR suites with either city or garden views.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dlcanada
Yes, it is room 169. As Flying Lawyer stated, it is a 2-room suite. However, neither the bedroom nor the living room has a window....but they both have wall-to-wall curtains!

As a Gold at the time, I was upgraded to this room last May, so I knew what to expect. It is very spacious and comfortable....just without windows. It also has a variety of fitness equipment in the living room (e.g exercise bike, small barbells, exercise ball, and Pilates DVD)

I tend to agree with soitgoes...the hotel probably doesn't "sell" this room very often, especially since the online reservation system offers Junior Suites and 1-BR suites with either city or garden views.
Well, I would be upset knowing that this type of room existed and not being offered it. Moreover, you were upgraded to it in the past as a Gold!
Finally, it sounds sort of like a Westin Work-out room.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Any updates since pre-Thanksgiving?
Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Any updates since pre-Thanksgiving?

What do you want to hear? I spend enough time there to become at least gold from my Westin Berlin stays and as a Platinum life is quite comfortable there - if you have a decent rate.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:34 am
Suspended

What do you want to hear?
Just updated anecdotes and stay reports. The last reports were in November 2009 and most of those updates were just back and forth over upgrade issues and rooms with no windows.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
If I remember right, there are only a few ( 3 or 4 ) junior suites with no windows in the bedroom. They are on the garden view side of the hotel and located at the corners.

Nice platinum upgrades and very good breakfast buffet.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 5:18 am
Suspended

I looked through the whole thread and didn't see any advice on how to transit from TXL to the property via mass transportation. Any thoughts? Thanks so much.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
I looked through the whole thread and didn't see any advice on how to transit from TXL to the property via mass transportation. Any thoughts? Thanks so much.
Do not line up for a ticket at the airport mass transit sales counter (like all Americans love to do). Go to the bus stop in front of the Terminal. Get on the TXL bus. Tell the driver you need a ticket ("eine Fahrkarte") for Berlin AB, give him 2,10 Euro (no tipping required ). Travel on the bus for 33 minutes until it reaches to the stop "Unter den Linden / Friedrichstraße" and you are right next to the hotel. The entrance is a 60 Meter walk down Friedrichstraße, No chance to miss it. You don't want to ask for your way back, do you? Enjoy Berlin!
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Do not line up for a ticket at the airport mass transit sales counter (like all Americans love to do).
Unless, of course, you want a multi-day visitor's pass. In which case, do line up and purchase it there as they are unavailable on the bus. However, if most of your sightseeing is 'downtown' you will probably not use your pass enough to make it worth it from the Westin.

Also, just stayed there on an award stay in June. We were assigned to a room that was a looooong walk from the main entrance...and no other way to enter. Just as an FYI, you may want to check on the location of your room and see if you can get assigned to one closer to the main entrance if walking is an issue for you. Plus, we had to walk all the way back to the elevators to the main entrance and then down another hall in order to get to the pool elevator. Maybe this is normal at high-end hotels, but I found it a little annoying.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Also, the Westin Grand offers 'instant awards'. I asked about them at the front desk and was given a flyer; otherwise, I never saw them mentioned anywhere. Here's the list:

Room upgrade- 1500 points
Suite upgrade- 10000 points
1 hour free internet in your room- 1500 points
1 dish of the day at the restaurant Relish- 3000 points
3 course meal at Relish- 4500 points (per person)
Cocktails for two at the bar- 1500 points
Breakfast buffet- 3000 points (per person)
Reduction of your bill- 1500 points per $20 US dollars

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.