Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hartmann
We're headed to Berlin in March of next year and having stayed at the Westin before, I am wondering if we should stay at the "new" Sheraton, the Westin, or a totally different property. We've found the Westin to be relatively convenient for getting around town and the rooms are ok, but I am open to other options. Any other suggestions?
Yes, my recommendation is not taking the Sheraton.
Recognition is pretty lame. Location is by far not as good as the Westin Grand.

For tourists/sightseeing the Westin has a great location. And I really like this hotel.

As being plat, I always ask for the garden superior room (w/ walk in shower / don't need a suite upgrade when I am staying alone). These type of rooms is renovated and pretty nice.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
We're headed to Berlin in March of next year and having stayed at the Westin before, I am wondering if we should stay at the "new" Sheraton, the Westin, or a totally different property. We've found the Westin to be relatively convenient for getting around town and the rooms are ok, but I am open to other options. Any other suggestions?
Westin is right next to a major construction side, so noise is an issue these days. The Westin is usually 10-20% more expensive, Platinum recognition is solid at both properties, but nothing to write home about. A 50 Euro surcharge per night will guarantee a suite at the Sheraton, which should have a club lounge by early next year.

There should be numerous hotel deals available for March next year, so cheating on SPG is def. a good option for Berlin. Be aware of the ITB in early March, a pretty expensive time to visit the city.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Since you are 1K with UA you have or can get Marriott Gold comped based on that status, and with that I would see if you can secure the Berlin Marriott for your stay. SPG is rather weak in Berlin in my opinion, and the Berlin Marriott consistently upgrades Gold and Platinums to really nice rooms, plus they have an excellent lounge with offerings blowing away any SPG-operated lounge in Germany I have been to. It's effectively full dinner every evening (yesterday evening it was pork loin with mashed potatoes, pasta with veggies and a veggie-soup - stay there right now), and as Gold the access to that lounge is guaranteed, btw. Location at Potsdamer Platz is very nice as well.

As much as I like SPG in general Berlin is not my place to stay with them as both the Westin and the Sheraton are just not meeting my expectations in terms of benefits and service provided. And especially the Sheraton owner (Event hotels) is known for providing the absolute minimum in terms of Elite recognition - they, e.g., closed the lounge at the Westin Leipzig when the recognized it was not mandatory to run such a lounge.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by djohannw
As much as I like SPG in general Berlin is not my place to stay with them as both the Westin and the Sheraton are just not meeting my expectations in terms of benefits and service provided. And especially the Sheraton owner (Event hotels) is known for providing the absolute minimum in terms of Elite recognition - they, e.g., closed the lounge at the Westin Leipzig when the recognized it was not mandatory to run such a lounge.

Greetings - Dirk
It is way too general to accuse a hotel operator of poor elite recognition and the Westin Leipzig is known for pretty good Platinum recognition. The property was also asked multiple times by Starwood Corporate not to provide too many Platinum benefits, so your comment misses the point.

The Sheraton Berlin is not really known for good Platinum recognition, they just play by the rules and prefer selling suites for a surcharge of Euro 50 per night (with a certain percentage going to the person who sold the upgrade)
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
... wrong post. sry
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Andie007
Yes, my recommendation is not taking the Sheraton.
Recognition is pretty lame. Location is by far not as good as the Westin Grand.

For tourists/sightseeing the Westin has a great location. And I really like this hotel.

As being plat, I always ask for the garden superior room (w/ walk in shower / don't need a suite upgrade when I am staying alone). These type of rooms is renovated and pretty nice.
Originally Posted by FD1971
Westin is right next to a major construction side, so noise is an issue these days. The Westin is usually 10-20% more expensive, Platinum recognition is solid at both properties, but nothing to write home about. A 50 Euro surcharge per night will guarantee a suite at the Sheraton, which should have a club lounge by early next year.

There should be numerous hotel deals available for March next year, so cheating on SPG is def. a good option for Berlin. Be aware of the ITB in early March, a pretty expensive time to visit the city.
Originally Posted by djohannw
Since you are 1K with UA you have or can get Marriott Gold comped based on that status, and with that I would see if you can secure the Berlin Marriott for your stay. SPG is rather weak in Berlin in my opinion, and the Berlin Marriott consistently upgrades Gold and Platinums to really nice rooms, plus they have an excellent lounge with offerings blowing away any SPG-operated lounge in Germany I have been to. It's effectively full dinner every evening (yesterday evening it was pork loin with mashed potatoes, pasta with veggies and a veggie-soup - stay there right now), and as Gold the access to that lounge is guaranteed, btw. Location at Potsdamer Platz is very nice as well.

Greetings - Dirk
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will see what the prices are at the Marriott. My wife always enjoys the Westin (we've gotten an upgrade on our last four stays).

So I guess they are still working on the new subway stop outside of the hotel?

Regarding ITB, we'll be there a couple of weeks after it is over (thank goodness) ^
Old Nov 7, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I just completed two one-night stays at the Westin Grand.

- Overall I was quite happy with this hotel and would recommend it
- The location is excellent, especially if you are coming to Berlin as a tourist, as it is just around the corner from Unter Den Linden and most major sites in Berlin are within 15-30 minutes walk away. There are many shops and attractions in the immediate vicinity. Public transit is also located just outside of the hotel.
- On both stays I was upgraded to a Junior Suite, which was comfortable, large, and quiet. There was a separate living room area -- once with chairs and tables and a separate tv, another time my junior suite had a couch and chairs but no separate tv. The room was also very quiet, facing the inner courtyard.
- Strangely, one junior suite had "American" style bedding with a king-sized top sheet and a comforter; the other had German style bedding with two twin-sized duvets
- Room service was excellent - very high quality food, delivered quickly and reasonably priced
- The hotel was also a great value, especially for being right downtown
- There were a couple of downsides:
> There is little to moderate Plat recognition - no lounge, no free breakfast (except if you choose for your gift), no special welcome gifts. Though I was upgraded to a junior suite, which was much appreciated, but nothing beyond that. To be clear, the hotel is fully complying with the conditions of the SPG program, so I'm not complaining, just pointing out that this is not one of those hotels (like others in Germany) that offer something above and beyond to Plats
> The gym is only open until 10 pm

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel, especially if visiting Berlin as a tourist. The location is central and desirable, the rates seem reasonable, and the room was nice and modern.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:36 am

I have an upcoming stay this week and contacted the reservations manager ahead of time regarding an upgrade. She confirmed an upgrade from a Deluxe to a Junior suite 72-hrs before my arrival. I see other nicer suites still available for sale, and I am curious if anyone has had success getting upgraded to higher level suites. I know this would require staff to go beyond what's in the Platinum benefits; this property doesn't seem to be that type.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Planning to go to Berlin Easter week next year. What are people's thoughts of whether I should use a suite upgrade for this or hope to be upgraded? People seem to have had good upgrade stats.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by Melodsal
Planning to go to Berlin Easter week next year. What are people's thoughts of whether I should use a suite upgrade for this or hope to be upgraded? People seem to have had good upgrade stats.
Basically depends on how full the hotel will be then.. basically how many suites are booked using $'s ... then you have PLTs using SNA's who will be ahead of you...

I stayed at the property May last year and my SNA did not clear. A few days before in Leipzig we were put in a great suite without an SNA.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
Basically depends on how full the hotel will be then.. basically how many suites are booked using $'s ... then you have PLTs using SNA's who will be ahead of you...

I stayed at the property May last year and my SNA did not clear. A few days before in Leipzig we were put in a great suite without an SNA.
Thanks I guess I'll just try using a SNA.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, LH SEN
Always got nice upgrades at this property.

For me the Junior Suite doesn't offer that much more compared to the Deluxe rooms, despite of course the additional space. One little "disadvantage" I see with the Junior Suites is that the tv screen is rather far from the bed.

Recently had a 10-person birthday dinner event at their Relish restaurant. Great food and very friendly service, including the bartender. Very smooth organization of the event as well. Couldn't be more happy with it.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Any recent feedback here.? I am considering this place of the Sheraton as a tourist. Any thoughts on differences?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by schley
Any recent feedback here.? I am considering this place of the Sheraton as a tourist. Any thoughts on differences?
Locationwise there is no doubt about the Westin. You cannot be more central than directly at the crossroads off two of the most important streets in the historic centre.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Location, location

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Locationwise there is no doubt about the Westin. You cannot be more central than directly at the crossroads off two of the most important streets in the historic centre.
I agree, from a tourist viewpoint the location is great.

My wife and I walked from the Westin to the main Museums and in the other direction to the Reichstag building.

Short walk to the Metro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.