Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
I also noticed that riding around on the Metro (the S-Bahn) all day I never had my ticket inspected or had to put it into a ticket machine etc. In Berlin it seems you are expected to do the right thing without policing.
Well understood. We are the land of the free and responsible and not the land of the state controlled and "well looked afters". By the way: given that you HAD to put your ticket into the machine. Avoiding it is a serious issue. We trust our citizens and visitors and assume that they do not misuse such trust.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:23 am

Programs: KL Platinum
I just stayed three days, and I received full breakfast as PLT amenity. I wasn’t told anymore at check-in about the upgrade to full breakfast, unlike last year. Every day when I gave my breakfast voucher at the door of the restaurant, I was told “enjoy your breakfast” - no mention of the upgrade to full breakfast (unlike last year). So you really get the full breakfast now.

However, they still have an abysmal wifi internet, where you cannot connect more than 2 devices per room. And while in theory you can disconnect one to connect another, sometimes this doesn’t work and your device stays “locked” on the connection. It’s so annoying and stressful that it really lowered my appreciation of this hotel.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
Westin Grand's Relish Restaurant voted as one of the world's top hotel restaurants:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/07/tr...l-restaurants/
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Sphinx
Westin Grand's Relish Restaurant voted as one of the world's top hotel restaurants:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/07/tr...l-restaurants/
Having eaten both here and in many other hotel restaurants, I find this very strange
Old Nov 7, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
The restaurant list and also the bar list is more than strange...
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT T, AS MVPG75K, TK EP/*G, DL D, IH AMB/D/IC, HH D, CR D, FoundersCd, Sixt P, NTL EE, Hz 5*
Just checked in -- coming from an upgrade at the IHG InterContinental Berlin (Presidential Suite due to early checkin, as IHG Ambassador), anything would be a disappointment, but this is pretty subpar. Regular room, on second floor, with substantial noise from the hallway. Renovation work happening over the next week. I probably will not stay here again unless I've exhausted all other hotel options in the city -- there are so many great non-SPG choices here, like the IC, Pullman, W=A, various boutique hotels, etc. Which is a disappointment/surprise, as all the other SPG properties in Germany have been amazing, especially Le Meridiens. This city really needs a St. Regis or something.

(I could probably forgive everything else, but 40M/40M Internet at the IC vs. 3M/3M here...?)

OTOH, can't argue too much with the rate (EUR 114). But it's meh enough that on my last day I decided to do a EUR 54 Holiday Inn stay since I'm leaving early, and it's closer to the airport.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Why not a stay in the new Sheraton Berlin?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: EK GOLD, EY GOLD, AZ GOLD, QR SILVER, SPG PLAT
Soccer Pre-Paid rate, really?

Quote from The E-mail:

"Thank you very much for your request and the interest shown in The Westin Grand Berlin. We are pleased to offer you the following accommodation:

Arrival: 05th of June 2015
Departure: 07th of June 2015

Double Room for 2 nights, including breakfast buffet
minimum length of stay close out dates for any specials

Theme Suite
at our soccer pre paid rate of EUR 5.820,00 per room/night
A unique and individual suite with a separate living- and bedroom sized at about 70 sqm.
The suite is equipped with our signature King size Heavenly Bed and features a view upon the famous Friedrichstrasse.
The special design of these suites will have you reside like Bach, Goethe or Sanssouci.

or

Junior Suite
at our soccer pre paid rate of EUR 3.670,00 per room/night
A modern junior suite sized about 55 sqm, featuring a King size signature Westin Heavenly Bed. Chose your view enjoy the tranquillity of our Hotel Garden or overlook the famous boulevard Unter den Linden.

or

Garden Deluxe room
at our soccer pre paid rate of EUR 1.540,00 per room/night
These elegant double rooms sized at 26 sqm are facing our quite and green Hotel Garden.
The rooms are exclusively equipped with a bathtub and a Queen or Twin size bed these rooms give you all the comfort you need to recharge for the next busy day.

For double occupancy we have to charge a supplement
of 20,00 EUR per room/night.

A Cancellation free of charge is not possible once the reservation is confirmed. The soccer prepaid rate is an advanced purchase rate which is non refundable and non changeable. A credit card has to be provided when making the reservation for a 100% pre payment."
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Sure, Champions League Final....
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Sure, Champions League Final....
I believe it's actually the Jack Warner->Sepp Blatter funds transfer rate, you stay for 5K and they get 4900 in a wire transfer via the Qatar office of a friendly Swiss bank...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, BA GGL, Bonvoy LTT, WoH Explorist
Westin Grand Berlin, Germany post 2008 renovation [Master Thread]

In comparison, the 20,- for double occupancy look reasonable. Did you ask if you could book just that, without the base room ?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:50 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Worth at least a 1000 euro to enjoy breakfast laced with the tears of Juventus fans.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've just checked in today and haven't fallen in love with the place.

First impressions - no doormen and when I eventually make eye contact with a receptionist who is on the phone I get a series of rather direct and unfriendly hand signals telling me to go away.

On check-in I get an upgrade from a base level Deluxe Room to a "Superior Room" on the top floor facing Under den Linden. Looking at my floor plan it's one of the smallest rooms in my area of the hotel. I'm thinking they perhaps took my "away from the elevator" request literally as it's the final room down quite a long corridor. There are no suites available online, but two types of Superior room above the one I was assigned.

The room is modern and of acceptable size, as you'd expect in Berlin. There is a plug on either side of the bed, though one rejected a standard German plug converter. Overall the room seems fine.

The bathroom is a bit weak. Weedy shower (perhaps the new Westin model?), apparently almost no ventilation and two very small towels which when they get wet give off a strong and very unpleasant smell (washing at wrong temperature?).

It's a good location and is a perfectly acceptable business hotel, but I can't see anyone becoming particularly fond of it.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:23 am

What type of breakfast is included in the 'Breakfast Plus' rate at this hotel?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
We're headed to Berlin in March of next year and having stayed at the Westin before, I am wondering if we should stay at the "new" Sheraton, the Westin, or a totally different property. We've found the Westin to be relatively convenient for getting around town and the rooms are ok, but I am open to other options. Any other suggestions?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.