Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Westin Grand Berlin, Germany post 2008 renovation [Master Thread]

While at it, other great lunch options include Facil and Tim Raue, both walkable (10-20 min) or less than 5' by taxi. Both have 2 Michelin stars as well and also provide a fantastic value at lunch time (weekdays). The setting is more modern compared to Fischers Fritz, food is great in all 3.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
can i assume that plat members can have full breakfast without any extra (based on some previous reviews)?

thanks in advance.
Please see my post from May 1st.
Old May 5, 2014, 3:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by remymartin
+1. One should expect to pay the upcharge for the full buffet.

The Westin Berlin is one of the few properties in Germany known to nickel and dime the customer a bit too much. The conversion rate they use for C+P rates is also borderline criminal.

Luckily, there are many new hotels in Berlin that are significantly cheaper while offering the same quality, so cheating on SPG (and Hyatt...) in Berlin is always an option one should consider.
Old May 5, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Or see my post from May 1st or Flying Lawyer's post, where we didn't have to pay for the upgraded breakfast.
Old May 5, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by ac/elite
Or see my post from May 1st or Flying Lawyer's post, where we didn't have to pay for the upgraded breakfast.
Neither of you actually say you were offered full breakfast [at check-in]. The difference is whether this policing / policy is enforced or not. No, it isn't, so it's up to the guest's conscience.
Old May 5, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
can i assume that plat members can have full breakfast without any extra (based on some previous reviews)?

thanks in advance.
Don't ask, just try it.
Old May 5, 2014, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FD1971
I normally opt for the points and go to Lafayette or one of the numerous bakeries close by. 500 points and/or 14 Euro go a looong way over there.

You can also have a very good lunch at Fischers Fritz at the Regent (2 Michelin stars) a few steps away. 2 courses are roughly as expensive as the breakfast buffet at the Westin.

I guess that we do not have to discuss the quality of food in this case.

The three course lunch at the Westin is also very decent, served in one course and priced around Euro 20.
Depends on how you describe the quality of a breakfast. Considering the quality of the cold cuts, the cheeses and the bread, I do consider this breakfast as one of the best in Berlin. A two course lunch can be prepared by far cheaper than a good breakfast.
Old May 6, 2014, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Depends on how you describe the quality of a breakfast. Considering the quality of the cold cuts, the cheeses and the bread, I do consider this breakfast as one of the best in Berlin. A two course lunch can be prepared by far cheaper than a good breakfast.
Interesting that you would think the Westin has the best breakfast. To me the omelettes are way too greasy, the cold cuts very German and the fruit selection too limited. I do enjoy the cheese tray, though, and occasionally, some sekt!

As leisure traveller I would much rather have a nice lunch.
Old May 6, 2014, 1:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Do not get me wrong, if one is looking for quantity, a breakfast buffet is always a good option. The quality of cold cuts is normally quite good in Germany and most of the cheeses are from past. milk and are in the Euro 5-15 range per kg. We do not have to discuss the quality of bread. I cannot really remember, if Berlin believes in warming up Rohlinge or sources quality bread for breakfast. As pointed out before, Lafayette is around the corner and has decent French bread not to mention several bakeries or even McD with Tropicana orange juice.

If one is looking for outstanding food, the regular breakfast buffets of most German SPG properties are nothing to write home about and can be replaced at every regular Rewe or Edeka.

Some hotels have their own special dishes, the Bircher Muesli with whipped cream at the Sheraton Essen, the egg dishes at the Elephant come to mind rather quickly. The Sheraton Congress has some nice fitness salads prepared on site.

Personally, I prefer a light breakfast and quality lunch and not so much starting with 2000 calories and rather mediocre food for breakfast.

Without any doubt, the buffet at the Westin Berlin is quite good, well it should be considering the price tag of $45 and/or upcharge of Euro 14.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Neither of you actually say you were offered full breakfast [at check-in]. The difference is whether this policing / policy is enforced or not. No, it isn't, so it's up to the guest's conscience.
Really? You're suggesting I'm somehow unethical? I asked at the entrance as I handed my coupon to the hostess and she said that we can have whatever we want. Should I have said, "I'd really prefer to pay 14 Euros. Can you please check with management to see if you're mistaken?"
Old May 7, 2014, 8:30 am

Really? You're suggesting I'm somehow unethical?
"[at check-in]".
Old May 12, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
I was there last month. At check-in I asked what I'd get if I chose the continental breakfast and I can't recall exactly what she said, but she said that I could upgrade to the full breakfast for 14 Euros. At the breakfast room, I handed the plat breakfast coupon to the woman at the entrance and she said to have whatever we wanted. We had the full breakfast every day for a week and nobody seemed to care or question it. The waiters don't have a clue what you're supposed to get or not get.
There has been considerable discussion on the PLT breakfast issue at this hotel. I will add some recent experience.

Last week I checked into the Westin Leipzig. At check-in I opted for the PLT breakfast and I was told that this covered the cold buffet but not the hot. It was then stated that there would be an 8 Euro a person charge to upgrade to the full buffet. All very clear. My wife wanted the full buffet. When I handed my PLT Breakfast Coupon to the serving person we were asked if we wanted the hot buffet, we replied yes. She told us that would be an extra 8 Euro, and I signed a paper with our name and our room number. All very clear and precise. Ironically after I left the hotel and was looking at the bill the next day (we left in a hurry in a rain storm), we were not charged for the breakfasts.

So today the checked into the Westin Berlin. At check-in I was asked if I wanted points. I replied that I would like the Platinum breakfast. The front desk person replied "Ah yes the breakfast buffet" and then explained where it was in the hotel and the hours. Only because I have read it on this board do I have any inkling of the possibility of an extra charge. I will see what happens in the morning.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Update on Previous Post

Stayed at this property for 4 days. On the breakfast issue my experience is that a woman at the door asks for you room number and checks you name of a list and that from then on you are largely on your own. Once a waitress asked if we wanted coffee but the rest of the time there was a coffee jug on the table and we had essentially no interaction with the staff. They, and the lady taking room numbers had no interest in my PLT breakfast coupon. I also noticed that riding around on the Metro (the S-Bahn) all day I never had my ticket inspected or had to put it into a ticket machine etc. In Berlin it seems you are expected to do the right thing without policing. My wife and I found the cold buffet more than enough.
Old May 14, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
I also noticed that riding around on the Metro (the S-Bahn) all day I never had my ticket inspected or had to put it into a ticket machine etc. In Berlin it seems you are expected to do the right thing without policing.
There is some occasional or random policing and fines for this.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Westin Grand Berlin, Germany post 2008 renovation [Master Thread]

1 night this week and I remain underwhelmed. Room showed preupgrade to Superior on the App but on cki only Deluxe given (as booked). This is one of the few SPG hotels where I receive no sense of welcome whatsoever (I've stayed here several times and even brought meeting business). Whether it's a welcome card, some fruit, whatever, just doesn't happen here (at least for me). If in Berlin SPG is not the best choice...luckily enough other options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.