Wiki Posts
Search

Legal Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by KENNECTED

They cannot agree to upgrade you in advance for free. They can if you choose to buy up .

This unnamed hotel sent you a direct email saying they would upgrade you in advance of check in?
I received preconfirmed upgrades many times in the past. Yes as a gold too!
Some cases during lower seasons it wasn't a simple 1 suite up, it was sometimes a major upgrade.

The GM said they would upgrade me at check-in (not in advanced) since I'm a gold member (which is true). However once I reached Check-in then a lot of stories started to come up.

Originally Posted by supatight80
As for FD saying the suites are only to be sold, could it be possible that they are just being polite as those rooms are held for plats checking-in later on the day? Of course theyd sell it first to golds or whoever who wants to buy up, and then the plats are down the totem pole. But then again, with less than 100 rooms and max 1 standard suite available (2 disappearing that day), i wouldnt even count a Plat getting it...
They weren't trying to be polite by saving it for the Plats. If they did, they would have told me that upfront and the conversation would have been over because there would have been nothing else I could have said. Instead they were explaining that they made a lot of platinums pay for upgrades this weekend. They were not giving the suites away clear & simple.

And actually they were still trying to upsell me the suite while apologizing and I said clearly I would not be interested into paying for the suite at 25% off. (50 discount out of the 200 additional per night).
----
GM's email
We will do our best though as I am sure you can understanding be such a small hotel we cannot confirm upgrades in advance. Once you reach platinum status you will have an option for this,............. Though rest assured we will do our best for you.
----

Had I known they were going to play me off, I would have just booked else where. Though I get my other status's free elsewhere, I genuinely push hard into SPG because every hotel I've stayed at so far has been understanding and so have I.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
GM's email- we cannot confirm upgrades in advance. Once you reach platinum status you will have an option for this,............. Though rest assured we will do our best for you.
This is him politely declining. He made sure not to promise an upgrade or get your hopes up. Why didn't you ask for him when you were there, just to say hello and make a few compliments. Maybe he would have reconsidered on the spot, given there were still suites available and wanted to maintain a good relationship.

every hotel I've stayed at so far has been understanding
Understand what exactly? That you're a DYKWIA? and every single stay is extremely important to you? This is actually a good lesson for you to understand the SPG Gold experience. Want VIP status? Earn it.

If every SPG member act/think like you, what exactly is Plat for?

Last edited by miloworld; May 21, 2015 at 1:53 pm
Old May 21, 2015, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I received preconfirmed upgrades many times in the past. Yes as a gold too!
Some cases during lower seasons it wasn't a simple 1 suite up, it was sometimes a major upgrade.

The GM said they would upgrade me at check-in (not in advanced) since I'm a gold member (which is true). However once I reached Check-in then a lot of stories started to come up.

They weren't trying to be polite by saving it for the Plats. If they did, they would have told me that upfront and the conversation would have been over because there would have been nothing else I could have said. Instead they were explaining that they made a lot of platinums pay for upgrades this weekend. They were not giving the suites away clear & simple.

And actually they were still trying to upsell me the suite while apologizing and I said clearly I would not be interested into paying for the suite at 25% off. (50 discount out of the 200 additional per night).
----
GM's email
We will do our best though as I am sure you can understanding be such a small hotel we cannot confirm upgrades in advance. Once you reach platinum status you will have an option for this,............. Though rest assured we will do our best for you.
----

Had I known they were going to play me off, I would have just booked else where. Though I get my other status's free elsewhere, I genuinely push hard into SPG because every hotel I've stayed at so far has been understanding and so have I.
What exactly is a "pre confirmed" upgrade? Did the gmail or the revenue manager email you and if so, post here. Because what you post above, the hotel tells you they cannot upgrade in advance.

although you say you know the published benefits for your level, it appears that you do not want to accept them or cannot understand that upgrades are done at check in and just because you see a suite listed as available that does not mean its available for upgrades.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
So the takeaway from this thread is that golds get upgraded ahead of me too? Great
Old May 21, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
TennisNoob, not sure what your issue is. As others have mentioned, as a Gold you are only "entitled" to an enhanced room in the same category that you book, and even then, only "if available at check-in."

The email from the GM clearly states that they aren't upgrading you to a suite so I don't see how they are playing you.

If you truly get suite upgrades all the time, be happy that this happens, but you are in no way entitled to a suite so you shouldn't act surprised when you don't get one.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CLEguy
So the takeaway from this thread is that golds get upgraded ahead of me too? Great
NO it's not. It's a Gold wanting Platinum benefits without earning them.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miloworld
This is him politely declining. He made sure not to promise an upgrade or get your hopes up. Why didn't you ask for him when you were there, just to say hello and make a few compliments. Maybe he would have reconsidered on the spot, given there were still suites available and wanted to maintain a good relationship.
I did ask when I was there but they said they were only interested into selling the suites and not even upgrading any platinums incoming.

What exactly is a "pre confirmed" upgrade? Did the gmail or the revenue manager email you and if so, post here. Because what you post above, the hotel tells you they cannot upgrade in advance.

cannot understand that upgrades are done at check in and just because you see a suite listed as available that does not mean its available for upgrades.
Yes once again I've received many pre-confirmed upgrades as gold before.
Pre confirmed upgrade, if you log into your SPG app it will show the room type "weeks before arrival" with the pre-confirmed upgrade.

You're right, It's not avail for upgrade, and my simple question was can they do that. And it's a "yes". But the factor was the GM said they would upgrade if it's avail at check-in and they failed to do so.

And obviously I didn't just see it, they were trying to sell it.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dcstudent
TennisNoob, not sure what your issue is. As others have mentioned, as a Gold you are only "entitled" to an enhanced room in the same category that you book, and even then, only "if available at check-in."

The email from the GM clearly states that they aren't upgrading you to a suite so I don't see how they are playing you.

If you truly get suite upgrades all the time, be happy that this happens, but you are in no way entitled to a suite so you shouldn't act surprised when you don't get one.
100% agree.

I get the sense that TennisNoob is a person who emails and calls the hotel in advance requesting upgrade to try to circumvent the published benefits.

Now that the property has noted - in writing - you aren't entitled, he/she has come here to vent - for no real reason.

As I've said before and I'll say again, if you want a particular room type. book it via cash or book and use points to upgrade to that room type.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
NO it's not. It's a Gold wanting Platinum benefits without earning them.
It is if his claims about receiving "preconfirmed upgrades many times in the past" are accurate, and having them be "major" upgrades to boot. Sounds like he's batting higher than I do! Maybe Gold is the answer...
Old May 21, 2015, 2:22 pm
Suspended

I did ask when I was there but they said they were only interested into selling the suites and not even upgrading any platinums incoming.

Pre confirmed upgrade, if you log into your SPG app it will show the room type "weeks before arrival" with the pre-confirmed upgrade.

You're right, It's not avail for upgrade, and my simple question was can they do that. And it's a "yes". But the factor was the GM said they would upgrade if it's avail at check-in and they failed to do so.

That is not an upgrade. I had a feeling you have confused a temporary room allocation as an "upgrade". As many of us have said on this forum over the years, upgrades are not confirmed until check in.

This is what you are entitled to, per Willaim. That should clarify any question you have.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Now that the property has noted - in writing - you aren't entitled, he/she has come here to vent - for no real reason.
If they denied it I'm totally fine with it. But it's the way they're trying to sell the upgrade, the run around, and the promising pre-arrival emails that if anything is avail. What good would this be if I keep trying to push my status to Plat if they won't even upgrade plats to a marvelous suite instead, they keep trying to sell upgrades to there own plat members too..........
Old May 21, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,

What you're describing is not "pre-confirmed." Plats experience that as well. When the property starts doing room assignments you're account will show you the room type you've been assigned. But, if someone pays for that suite or they decide to reallocate to a more valuable customer, you'll notice that suite will disappear and be replaced with the room type you booked (or other type short of the suite).

Unless, there's alot more to the email then you've shared with us I don't see where the GM said he would upgrade you at the suite. He basically said they would "do their best for you." In fact, he did say that you don't qualify for a suite upgrade.

So, I really don't get why you're disappointed that you didn't get something you didn't pay for, and aren't entitled to under the terms of the program?

As for your historical record of getting suites as a Gold, you're either extremely lucky, extremely troublesome (and hotels upgrade you so they don't have to deal with you), or not being totally forthright. Either way, you have no standing to complain when you don't get one.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:26 pm

If they denied it I'm totally fine with it. But it's the way they're trying to sell the upgrade, the run around, and the promising pre-arrival emails that if anything is avail. What good would this be if I keep trying to push my status to Plat if they won't even upgrade plats to a marvelous suite instead, they keep trying to sell upgrades to there own plat members too..........
WHy wouldn't they try to sell the room? First, you're a Gold, you're not entitled to a complimentary suite upgrade. Second, even if you were a plat, AND even if the particular suite available was a "select standard" suite, what they offer by offering to sell the suite at a discount is a guaranteed suite. Otherwise you just play check-in roulette.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

........But it's the way they're trying to sell the upgrade.........
Properties always try to sell suite upgrade to anyone, even without being SPG member. Hey, if you pay, you get priority over everyone.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:29 pm
Suspended

You shouldn't be worried about platinum upgrades at this point. You didn't get the run around, you were told straight out you were not entitled to a COMPLIMENTARY suite upgrade.

As I said earlier, you do not know the status/category of the suites showing. It could be a WOW or Extreme Wow, etc., which are not "select standard" or included in the platinum upgrade pool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.