Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Warsaw, Poland [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Warsaw, Poland [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2003, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I am now contemplating changing my €110 'basic' rate for a €125 which includes breakfast. Is the extra €15 worth it? Or will I receive a free breakfast as a Platinum automatically??? Not that I'm trying to be cheap (or yes, maybe I am), but figured I check before I got there.

[This message has been edited by mauld (edited 06-17-2003).]
Old Jun 18, 2003, 5:46 am
DJC

Programs: AC - Super Elite, AA - Platinum, DL - Basic, HHonors - Gold, SPG - Platinum, Fairmont - Gold
Having now done the Warsaw trip, I'm in a position to report on what happened.

Overall, this is a nice hotel and the staff are very helpful however, things weren't fantastic.

I am positive I ended up with the smallest room in the complex or at least on my floor (you can get an idea by looking at the layout of the fire escape maps) which was also a smoking room and right next to the elevators which I got to hear all night. Breakfast was included in my rate and there was no upgrade offered (although, as a lowly Gold I know that I am normally just entitled to a higher floor room). Then, my key kept ceasing to function...including when I had only a few minutes to get into the room, collect my stuff and jump in a car to the airport to catch my flight. It took three increasingly frantic trips down to the front desk to get it right...

Nice place but not a "memorable" experience.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 5:57 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
One more question, my flight gets in mid morning and as I'll only have a small carry-on bag, I figured I'd take the airport bus to the main station. How far is the Sheraton? From maps it looks 'walkable', but I know how deceiving those can be. Or should I take a cab or tram (which one) to the hotel from the station?
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:27 am
DJC

Programs: AC - Super Elite, AA - Platinum, DL - Basic, HHonors - Gold, SPG - Platinum, Fairmont - Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mauld:
One more question, my flight gets in mid morning and as I'll only have a small carry-on bag, I figured I'd take the airport bus to the main station. How far is the Sheraton? From maps it looks 'walkable', but I know how deceiving those can be. Or should I take a cab or tram (which one) to the hotel from the station?</font>
Others can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the main train station is by the Palace of Science and Culture which is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel. The hotel can arrange a car service which will cost 50 zloty (about $13) - it's fast, comfortable and air conditioned and I would recommend that option.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Question Review&Pics of the Sheraton Warsaw hotel & Towers, upgrade:the Most Quiet room.

See my pics: http://www.e-traveller.net/pics/2004/waw-Sheraton.php ( with the help of LH 738!)

The Sheraton Warsaw hotel has a really different atmosphere, compared to the Westin Warsaw. Despite the modern exterior, it has a more classical interior.

Let me first tell you I was really satisfied with my room. It had a nice view, despite the parking lot in front of the room.
When I checked in and asked if I was given an upgrade, the trainee of the reception told me I was upgraded to a deluxe room. The butler, a trainee, who helped me with the luggage was also very friendly. I was nice to hear how devoted he was to the hotel, he told me he thought this was the best hotel in Warsaw.
Entering the SPG Tower room, I liked it. Not really special i.m.o. (f.i. no comfy chair / couch, no cd player), I also liked the bottle of wine from Argentina (amenity) !

Later that day I noticed the description in my reservation: a "Huge Towerrroom" and "oversized room", However, I did not find my Towerroom very Huge & Oversized or special Deluxe. Especially when having an upgrade !

Next day I decided to ask some clear information at the reception concerning my upgrade. I was not intended to have another room, but just to know what other rooms would have been an upgrade. I had my conversation with a female receptionist ( I do not remember her name) , she was light blond and was dressed in a darkish blue suite. After some talking it appeared I was not upgraded at all. (After many directed questions of me).
It appeared I was upgraded to the most Quiet room available. When I heard this I felt like a child, the way it was told to me and I felt very foolish because I have never experienced this. It was more or less the attitude of this women: very friendly, smiling but standing more or less way above me. It made me feel uncomfortable but I did not mention it.

Even more, when I asked an upgrade, it appeared this would be a Smart room, also in a quiet section. When the very friendly towers butler showed the room, it was much larger and more comfortable. Only the view was not quite nice. I did not take the room, because I did not want to move again ( my first night I stayed in the fine Westin Warsaw) for only one night and my own room had a nice view. When I had received the smart room when checking in, it would have been fine. I did not hear anything from the reception if I liked the room, or they seemed not to express any concern or interest. I thought this could be an indifferent indulgent attitude.

Well I did ask to see the junior suite later that day, just to have a glance. The same receptionist told me I would have to pay €70 for this suite. She gladly told me that when I liked it, it would be mine.
Regarding the attitude of the reception, she did not seem to have any concern / interest towards me as a guest. Polite friendliness, but very businesslike, almost arrogant, i.m.o. I did not feel comfortable.
So I went up again, and the really nice Tower butler showed me the suite. I did not like the suite, the way the television was blocking one of the windows was not nice. And ofcourse I did not want to have to move again for one night.
The reception did not inform if I liked the room, there seemed to be no interest at all.

I must say, the same day I visited the Bristol Warsaw, a Meridien hotel now belonging to Starwood inc.. I had lunch in the patisserie and later I asked one of the receptionists to show me a room. What a difference in attitude! It was the same attitude as I experienced in the Westin Warsaw. The rooms are large and tasteful decorated. Very friendly she showed me other areas of the hotel. She even advised me where to go in town for some, not touristic, sightseeing and showed it to me on the map I received in Sheraton. She made me aware of the ugly and poor copied map of Warsaw I received in the Sheraton hotel. I did not comment, but she was right. Most Starwood hotels give decent maps of town to the guests, sometimes even small books with maps. This was not representative, such a copied map.

Anyway her attitude was great towards me, even not being a guest myself in this hotel. I thought this hotel seemed to be great. The same attitude I experienced in the Westin Warsaw! I mention these hotels in Warsaw, because sometimes the attitudes are influenced by the cultural differences in the world.

The Sheraton Warsaw has a good location when you want to visit the Old town and museums. There is a health club in the basement, with a working out area and sauna. I did have a nice massage here.
There is also a nice coffee bar where they serve nice lunches. The service here was friendly.
You can have dinner in different restaurants. I had dinner in the Oriental restaurant. When entering they wanted to give me a table in the middle of the non-smoking section. I refused to sit in the middle of the restaurant while there were tables free. The man refused to give me other (larger) tables, which were free and not in the middle of the restaurant. Finally he told me to sit down in the smoking section, where there was a side table free……. Since it was already late in the evening I sat down….
The food was very good, and there was live oriental music. But I disliked the smoking of the guests. Well, if there will be a next time here, I surely will make a reservation in advanced for the Non-smoking table which is not in the Middle of the restaurant.

I did receive an email from the manager of the hotel, mrs. Iva Trifonova , referring to the questionnaire I had filled in. I regret she did not noticed I was informed that I was upgraded to a quiet room and almost had to beg for the upgrade the next day: some lines:

Gold Starwood preferred members get upgraded to a Starwood preferred room -
> these are the best rooms of the Deluxe category - usually bigger in size (34
> sq.m.) and of a better view. The room we have assigned for you was one of
> those and in addition away from the elevators or the streets
> Apparently your expectations were different and although the Front office
> staff offered an upgrade to a Smart room - you have decided not to take
> advantage of it. Suites in the hotel are of limited number and in Towers in
> particular, even more so."

Furthermore, there was no consideration for upgrading, while almost all rooms were not occupied and the Tower floors seemed almost empty. Most of all what I have been told was: you have been upgraded to a DeLuxe room and next day, you have been upgraded to the Most Quiet room. ( I had made reservations for a quiet Towerroom after reading posts of noisy rooms.

"We put a lot of consideration when it comes to upgrading customers to ensure
> that Platinum members really get the best rooms available. On the other hand
> if we extend that benefit to all other levels of membership we risk to
> devaluate the very essence of the SPG Platinum privileges. This is one of
> the key features of the program and I am sure you would not like to have
> these benefits extended to non Platinum members once you are one, which I
> believe will be pretty soon, since you travel so extensively.
>
> I am sorry to hear that you have found our reception to be just polite. I
> would certainly address that with them.
>
> Thank you once again for your constructive critique.
>
> Yours sincerely
>
> Iva Trifonova / Resident Manager"

In general it was good to receive the email of the manager, when you fill in a questionair you know the hotel takes the information seriously.

Finally I want to stress that I was satisfied with my room. I just wanted to be well informed concerning my upgrade. I discovered I did not receive the room I had made reservations for ( Huge and oversized), that my room uprade was to a Deluxe Towerroom, and next day it first appeared my upgrade was to the Most Qiet room and finally it appeared I had not received an upgrade at all!

I can recommend this hotel when you want to visit Warsaw. It is not as classy as the Westin or Bristol, and service is not as friendly and welcoming as in the Westin Warsaw or the Bristol .
But surely you can have a comfortable stay here.

See my pics: http://www.e-traveller.net/pics/2004/waw-Sheraton.php

Last edited by claes059; Sep 12, 2004 at 4:07 pm
Old Sep 12, 2004, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
A great review.

I stayed in this hotel back in March for two nights and agree with your assessment.

I will say that my experience as a platinum with regards to the upgrades was markedly different and in line with the manager's response to you. I stayed on an award stay and was upgraded to a large suite without even asking.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA1K, IC RA, *wood Plt, AA EXP, LH Sen, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, EK Gold
Russian woman as a manager in a hotel located in Poland? Not enough Poles with essential credentials? Very interesting...
Old Sep 12, 2004, 6:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
I also stayed at the hotel in August (as Gold) was also told that I was upgraded, while in reallity I wasn't . However, I found the regular room to be very nice and didn't bother to pursue the upgrade issue.

Didn't get any kind of an ammenity, such as an Argentinan wine or anything else. The only ammenity was free bottled water.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by yevlesh2

Didn't get any kind of an ammenity, such as an Argentinan wine or anything else. The only ammenity was free bottled water.
I guess they offer this to the guests who stay in the SPG Towerrooms?
Old Sep 13, 2004, 6:45 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Thank you for this interesting and detailed report of your stay in the Sheraton Warsaw Hotel & Towers. The picutres are very nice and it seems, that this is quite a nice and convenient hotel.

Warsaw is one of the cities I like to visit the next year on a weekend trip
Old Sep 13, 2004, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flying MD
Russian woman as a manager in a hotel located in Poland? Not enough Poles with essential credentials? Very interesting...
Not all Poles have "Polish" surnames!
Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:39 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by flying MD

It is not the purpose of my review to have reactions concerning the nationality of the manager of the hotel. I do not think it is appropriate to do so!
I regret this is happening.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 11:23 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Exclamation

http://www.starwoodeurope.com/aa/

Westin Warsaw & Sheraton Warsaw | Special Weekends rates & Double Miles

Looking for a new, exciting destination? Warsaw is closer then you think! Spend your weekend in a beautiful European capital and enjoy our special promotion. Sheraton Warsaw Hotel offers special room rates starting from € 75* for single or double standard room every Friday, Saturday or Sunday night in August, and € 95* in September & October.

*rate per room, per night, exclusive of 7% VAT
Old Sep 14, 2004, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I stayed at this hotel and the Marriott Warsaw a lot about 3 years ago. My experience is that this hotel has much better rooms (this was prior to the renovation at the Marriott) but the service is really not too good.

Almost every stay, I had some kind of service problem - assigned to a room next to the service elevator that would be noisy in the middle of the night, pest control enters room when DND sign was on the door, work done (supposedly to drill open a safe) late in the evening, etc.

The Marriott seemed to have a lot more seasoned employees which really made up for the smaller and older rooms. Of course, this was 3 years ago before the renovation of the Marriott and the opening of the Hyatt, Radisson and Westin. I am sure that probably changed the hotel landscape there dramatically.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 6:49 pm
Original Member

Sheraton Warsaw & Towers (Tansportation Question)

I need help with transportation from the Airport to the Hotel.

I' ve read about a bus, but guide books advise against it?
Anyone have any advise?

Thanks,

Marvella

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.