Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

25 Annivesary Alert! Opinion on Best Destination Hotels in N.A. or Carribea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP

PLT100 here with a 25th wedding anniversary coming up in a few months. I live up near Boston and travel a lot for work, mostly around the U.S.

Anyway...I am looking for a great place to do a 5-7 day getaway in late August. It has to be this time as my wife is a teacher and goes back in Sept. I want to stay local to the U.S. or Carribean as we have two kids going to college around the same time and won't have time to do Europe.

I'm looking for opinions on great hotels or resorts based on the following criteria...

- US or Carribean
- Preferably a beach or outdoor focused location
- No cities in the north US. Been to Em all 10x over
- Looking for chill-time, walking around, eating good food
- Places like Vegas (never been), South Beach, Key West, Canada are options
- I have not been to SPG properties in Carribean so opinions?

So I am casting the net here on best hotels in the US and Carribean region. opinions?
Old May 20, 2015, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jb3t
- Preferably a beach or outdoor focused location
- Looking for chill-time, walking around, eating good food
- Places like Vegas (never been), South Beach, Key West, Canada are options
The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler. Most people only think of Whistler for skiing, but it's a great summer destination, too.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
http://www.canyonsuites.com/
Old May 20, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by terpzone
It's great but Phoenix is unbearably hot in August. Vegas will also be very hot.

Maybe someplace along the California coast?
Old May 20, 2015, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's great but Phoenix is unbearably hot in August. Vegas will also be very hot.

Maybe someplace along the California coast?
That would explain the crazy cheap prices. The Phoenecian was $140/night....or 20,000 starpoints lol
Old May 20, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by terpzone
That would explain the crazy cheap prices. The Phoenecian was $140/night....or 20,000 starpoints lol
Many locals try to leave town for the summer.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many locals try to leave town for the summer.
I'd rather be in Arizona in August than here in NYC.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:15 pm
Community Director Emerita

I really liked W Vieques. You take a short flight from Puerto Rico to get there. The hotel was nice, especially if you get a room with a good view. And there are a number of small excellent restaurants on the island. If you don't want all your nights on Vieques, the St Regis Puerto Rico is a solid property.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone.... I am going to look at all of these.

The problem is August is not the greatest time to travel south and as we live in the north, that's what we do. Hopefully we can find an ocean or mountain breeze somewhere.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Since you have other options you are considering, I would caution against the Caribbean in late August. It's not at all out of the question that your trip will be interrupted by a hurricane, which seems like the absolute last thing you'd want to do on a short 25th anniversary trip. We keep moving our trip up earlier every year and we *still* lost 2 days last year due to a hurricane rolling through on August 1.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
St. Regis Bal Harbour and St. Regis Monarch Beach are two options you should consider as well. Both properties are some of the nicest SPG properties in the US. If you're concerned about the summer heat, California is always a good option. In Florida you'll have the same potential hurricane issues as the Caribbean, but you could always book southwest and a refundable room rate to give you some additional flexibility if the weather looks terrible.
Old May 22, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
I agree with the St. Regis Bal Harbor, FL. Easy Southwest flight to FLL, too (I noticed you have status there). One of the nicest hotels I've been to. Also noticed that Cash & Points (15K + $275) is available at that time. I was upgraded as a Plat75 to a 1250 sq. ft. suite and so was a friend a week later. And make sure to read the reviews. Enjoy.
Old May 23, 2015, 3:26 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=pageboy;24856840]I agree with the St. Regis Bal Harbor, FL. Easy Southwest flight to FLL, too (I noticed you have status there). /QUOTE]

Good catch on Southwest Airlines. That is part of the equation here as I have a Companion Pass there and more points than I know what to do with!

I looked at Bal Harbor and it looks very nice. My question is, is it worth the points over something like Westin Key West, which is half the point redemption?

I going to checkout the other beach property mentioned above.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:21 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jb3t
I going to checkout the other beach property mentioned above.
If you want a low points redemption beachfront option, then the 4-Pts in Fort Walton Beach my be an option. It is definitely isn't a 4 or 5 star hotel, but the beach there is beautiful and as a Plat you should at least be upgraded to an Oceanfront room.

It is a 4-Pts and not a St. Regis, but if you want a great beach for low points, it is a nice option.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
If you want a low points redemption beachfront option, then the 4-Pts in Fort Walton Beach my be an option. It is definitely isn't a 4 or 5 star hotel, but the beach there is beautiful and as a Plat you should at least be upgraded to an Oceanfront room.

It is a 4-Pts and not a St. Regis, but if you want a great beach for low points, it is a nice option.
Not looking this cheap. Bal Harbor is 30,000 points a night. Key West is 15,000 points. Curious of the difference between the two.

As for Fort Walton... I'll actually be there in a few weeks for work and the wife will probably be with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.