Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The College Green Hotel Dublin, Autograph Collection (was Westin) [Master Thread]

The College Green Hotel Dublin, Autograph Collection (was Westin) [Master Thread]

Old May 17, 2007, 12:47 am
tyn
Original Poster

Arrow The College Green Hotel Dublin, Autograph Collection (was Westin) [Master Thread]

I've had only one stay at this hotel, overall a nice one, but the rooms we had were facing an inner courtyard and with very little natural light.

Do all rooms at the hotel face in? What type of room should I try asking for in order to have some kind of outside view?

TIA!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 22, 2009 at 6:31 am Reason: Per 2007 thread at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/967321-westin-dublin-ireland-pre-2007-master-threa
Old May 17, 2007, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I've only had two rooms at the Westin. The Grafton Suite - very nice two room suite overlooking Trinity College and the Royal Bank. Very nice. I was also lucky enough (because of an oversell situation so don't expect it) to be upgraded to the College Suite aka the Presidential Suite. I think it was 7 rooms, 2 floors and a balcony that ran almost the full width of the building. Wonderful hotel, wonderful hotel staff, wonderful city. Can't wait for another DO there.

Last edited by fireworksboy; May 17, 2007 at 5:37 am
Old May 17, 2007, 5:46 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by tyn
Do all rooms at the hotel face in?
No, many face out too. However the views are not amazing and I'm not sure I'd want to pay much more simply for an outward facing window - although I did once have a room like you describe and yes, it was pretty uninspiring.

Originally Posted by tyn
What type of room should I try asking for in order to have some kind of outside view?
One with an outside view? The building used to be a bank, so was not designed to be a hotel - the rooms can have some funny shapes etc. In general, I like this hotel, it has a great location, the Mint Bar is novel, however it has increased in price hugely since it opened and I'm not convinced whether it is truly value for money.

Dublin is yet another example of a major European city with a very poor *wood presence - there is easily room for a Sheraton & a 4P to compete with the numerous other chains & independents.
Old May 17, 2007, 6:48 am

I stayed in an outside-view room at the Dublin Westin a few months ago. It was an upgraded award room (paid 1000 extra points for it) but I don't remember the official name for it.

To be honest, the outside view wasn't anything amazing. We were on a higher floor so it was pleasant enough, but since it's a busy street below, I could see it being potentially noisy on lower floors.

Your best bet is to email or call the hotel (or SPG reservations) to find out. That way, you're sure to get what you want.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
need advice

My wife and I have booked a deluxe room using points for mid-august. There were no standard rooms available so it will cost us 13,500 points. Rates for that night are 279 Euros for the deluxe room. For 80 Euros we can upgrade to a junior suite (regular rate is 439 Euros) or for 100 Euros (just 20 Euros more) we can upgrade to a deluxe suite (rate on Starwood's website is either 539 or 639 Euros--not sure which suite we would get). We have no status with Starwood (besides preferred guest) so we will not have a chance to get a suite without paying (which is certainly fair). Any advice from those who have been? Is it worth 100 Euros (roughly $140) plus 13,500 points for the deluxe suite? That seems a better value ($0.0449 per point) than just the room itself ($ 0.0285 per point). My first choice would actually be cash + points but we'll have to wait until the website is changed to see if that is available for our date. Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by eefor jfp; Jul 17, 2007 at 2:05 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 17, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
"Worth" is a relative measure, and only you can decide whether the extra room and comfort of the suite is worth the 80-100 Euros extra payment. If it was me, however, I would gladly pay the 100 Euros for the deluxe suite. You should either get one of the corner suites or a bi-level "library" suite, either of which will greatly enhance your experience at the hotel and Dublin in general.

Whatever you decide, have fun.

SG
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
"Worth" is a relative measure, and only you can decide whether the extra room and comfort of the suite is worth the 80-100 Euros extra payment. If it was me, however, I would gladly pay the 100 Euros for the deluxe suite. You should either get one of the corner suites or a bi-level "library" suite, either of which will greatly enhance your experience at the hotel and Dublin in general.

Whatever you decide, have fun.

SG
Thanks for the input.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: HHonors, Delta
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Thanks for the input.
Ditto, on paying (or using points) to upgrade--well worth it. BTW, the hotel is lovely and the staff very helpful. We stayed there two nights last month and loved both the location of the hotel (central to everything) and the amenities there.

took
Old Oct 20, 2007, 5:36 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Heading to the Westin Dublin in December with the SO and was curious if anyone had any tips for securing a suite upgrade at this property? Paying with points, but no option to use them for anything other than a King room was available.

It's a make up trip since she got terribly sick just before we headed to our (upgradeless) Key West weekend just prior to her birthday so I'd like to try to make it a special weekend.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Just returned from the Westin Dublin; one of my best Starwood stays in Europe ever (and I have plenty). Stayed there for three nights on a "pay 2 stay 3" promo and was upgraded to a huge corner suite. Staff was excellent, room spotless, service quick, friendly and efficient. ^^^
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:54 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
The daily rate for the internet at the Westin is down to a less-stratospheric 15 euro a day, FYI.

I booked a standard 2-bed award room and was upgraded to a deluxe room on the 3rd floor facing the street in front of the hotel. The single beds in this hotel are super-sized singles, FYI. Almost a full size bed and extra-long. Not quite big enough for 2 people but a very nice size for one considering most european hotels only offer tiny twin beds.

The bathrooms here are terrific. I believe all of them have a tub and a separate shower stall - although in 4 stays I think I've had a slow shower drain in all four so far!

- T
Old Jan 19, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
I stayed at the Westin Dublin earlier this month. I reserved the cheapest available room the morning of my stay--it was 165 euros prepaid.

At check-in, I was asked if I wanted 1 or 2 beds. I asked if there were any suites available once it was obvious that I wasn't getting an upgrade. I was told that yes, suites were available, but that they only faced the courtyard--would I like that instead? Of course I said that I'd take the suite. Plat amenity posted promptly after the stay.

As for the room itself, it was a decent suite, not particularly large. I was in 523? I believe, it had a small living room, with a couch and two chairs around a round coffee table. The bathroom was very nice, with a large tub and large shower. The bedroom had a queen bed, but was a fairly small room in general. Both rooms had a ~32" LCD.

Valet parking is 25 euro--I found street parking around the back for 2 euros.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:23 am

thinking of staying here on a points plus pay.
are there any better deals out there?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
thinking of staying here on a points plus pay.
are there any better deals out there?
The hotel will be down to Cat 4 after 2/March - less points to book free nights.

Am not sure if the Cash and Points option is available at the hotel on the dates you want though.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Just a bump to see if anyone has recently stayed here or has a stay coming up and wouldn't mind posting back please.

I have just reserved a Westin Workout package for 2 nights in August. I like the fact the package comes with breakfast for 2 daily in the room or restaurant, sparkling wine and strawberries and the room description says Workout In Your Room With Spinning Cycle, Room Amenities - Pilates Workout And Equipment, In Room Dvd/cd Player so at least we can work off all the calories from breakfast and that sparkling wine whilst watching a DVD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.