Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Centre Toronto [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Centre Toronto [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:47 pm

I echo the points above, including soft-closing doors. This should be a brand standard!

A couple of things on my side:

Make sure that there's a plug-in on the bedside table, either integrated into the lamp or the table itself. Not behind the bedside table, not next to the floor, but on the table. Many people use their phones as alarm clocks, but also need them to charge up overnight.

Make sure that there aren't too many blinking/bright lights in the room. In some new hotel rooms, there are way way too many lights from all kinds of items in the room, and even when the lights are all out, its way too bright. Ensuring that these are kept to a minimum would be awesome.

Blow out a bunch of the bathtubs and replace them with walk-in showers. Keep a few tubs, sure, but for 80-90% of people, a shower only is great. The bathrooms are already a bit on the small side here, so the shower curtains that bow out in the room only make them seem more cramped.

Try to do something to give the long, long hallways a bit of personality.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
My wish list for the reno:
1. Definitely plugs by the beds. I (like many others) use my phone as my alarm, but need to charge it at night.
2. Fix the bathrooms so that there is room to access the toilets with the bathroom door open. When I am in the room alone (almost always), there is no need to close the door, yet I have to because of placement.
3. Second the shower only request.
4. Bring back the windows that open. They were the reason I started staying at the Sheraton over the Westin or King Eddy (when it was spg). Fresh air is a good thing.

Thanks!!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL:Lifetime Gold: US:CM:SPG:Lifetime Plat:HHonors:Diamond
Floor 42

I understand that floor 42 has been renovated and released for occupancy. I have heard that these room will not be ones that a Plat can be upgraded to upon arrival and upgrades are being charged ... Is this against SPG policy?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by PHLFlyerDL
I understand that floor 42 has been renovated and released for occupancy. I have heard that these room will not be ones that a Plat can be upgraded to upon arrival and upgrades are being charged ... Is this against SPG policy?
Depends on what kind of rooms there are, doesn't it? Assuming what you've heard is accurate.

Cheers,
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
Renovated Floor

Just had a recent one-night stay on the 34th floor which has been newly renovated. What a welcome refresh from the tired previous product.

Was surprised to see a cheese/cracker/fruit platter waiting in my room with a large bottle of mineral water and a card signed by the front desk staff, congratulating me on my 50th stay with the Sheraton brand. Nice touch. It was a bit lost on me how I got squeezed into one of the rooms at the end of the hall with the smallest footprint but didn't complain as they tend to be quieter places than on the main drag.

Rooms have been pretty much redone top to bottom from what I could tell, minus any changes to windows or bathroom size. But besides that, wall coverings, artwork, all case-ware, all bathroom fixtures including the bathtubs have been replaced. Corridor carpets and wall coverings as well. The only thing left that was repainted are the hallway baseboards/mouldings from my quick assessment. Overall a very welcome change.

The lounge hasn't changed, nor the average breakfast/evening offerings. Decent, but nothing to rave over. I still maintain that a lounge of that size with such a beautiful view could do so much more for its patrons.

The pool was warm and it was great to swim "outside" in the sub-zero weather. I'll be back.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by OMCA
Just had a recent one-night stay on the 34th floor which has been newly renovated. What a welcome refresh from the tired previous product.

Was surprised to see a cheese/cracker/fruit platter waiting in my room with a large bottle of mineral water and a card signed by the front desk staff, congratulating me on my 50th stay with the Sheraton brand. Nice touch. It was a bit lost on me how I got squeezed into one of the rooms at the end of the hall with the smallest footprint but didn't complain as they tend to be quieter places than on the main drag.

Rooms have been pretty much redone top to bottom from what I could tell, minus any changes to windows or bathroom size. But besides that, wall coverings, artwork, all case-ware, all bathroom fixtures including the bathtubs have been replaced. Corridor carpets and wall coverings as well. The only thing left that was repainted are the hallway baseboards/mouldings from my quick assessment. Overall a very welcome change.

The lounge hasn't changed, nor the average breakfast/evening offerings. Decent, but nothing to rave over. I still maintain that a lounge of that size with such a beautiful view could do so much more for its patrons.

The pool was warm and it was great to swim "outside" in the sub-zero weather. I'll be back.
Were there any noise reduction tricks used in the halls? Were the doors changed for a quieter closing type? Did you have a chance to try the AC/heat and did it function well?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
renovation questions answered

As a Plat, I was "upgraded" to the 42nd floor. I can't say I was all that impressed.

First, it was not a suite, rather an upgraded room. The amenities were not up to SPG standards and when I notified manager, he just shrugged.

On the plus side, there are more electrical plug-ins in the renovated rooms, and the enclosed shower was great. No additional sound insulation, at least that I could see.

The Sheraton Fit area is very good - albeit quite busy.

Please report your upgrade success here!

Last edited by yosithezet; Apr 1, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
As a Plat, I was "upgraded" to the 42nd floor. I can't say I was all that impressed.

First, it was not a suite, rather an upgraded room. The amenities were not up to SPG standards and when I notified manager, he just shrugged.

On the plus side, there are more electrical plug-ins in the renovated rooms, and the enclosed shower was great. No additional sound insulation, at least that I could see.

The Sheraton Fit area is very good - albeit quite busy.

Please report your upgrade success here!
There has been some recent turnover in the GM of the property. Given its desirable location, I wonder why.

Last edited by yosithezet; Apr 1, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
Originally Posted by ridefar
Were there any noise reduction tricks used in the halls? Were the doors changed for a quieter closing type? Did you have a chance to try the AC/heat and did it function well?
Noise reduction wasn't really something I could evaluate since I was at the end of a hallway - last room. I don't think the door closers are any quieter and have to say, I think I've only seen quiet closers at one property my entire life.

Question about AC/heat is a good one. I'm not sure if it was my room only or not, but at first I didn't think it was even working. Then I noticed that it was, but it was so quiet. So that's a good thing especially if it's across the property.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Can't wait to hear if they've done away with the 12" diameter sinks in the suites. They were more like an airline sink!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Noise reduction wasn't really something I could evaluate since I was at the end of a hallway - last room. I don't think the door closers are any quieter and have to say, I think I've only seen quiet closers at one property my entire life.

Question about AC/heat is a good one. I'm not sure if it was my room only or not, but at first I didn't think it was even working. Then I noticed that it was, but it was so quiet. So that's a good thing especially if it's across the property.
Thanks for the feedback. I am sort of tempted to stay if I can get a renovated room just to re-evaluate the property. But the indifference of management, the high turnover rate, and the fact that they didnt even listen to their guests about what is important in the renovation are all not good signs. My prediction: same terrible hotel as before, just with newer furniture.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: SPG Plat; OneWorld Emerald; *A Gold
Thanks for the feedback. I am sort of tempted to stay if I can get a renovated room just to re-evaluate the property. But the indifference of management, the high turnover rate, and the fact that they didnt even listen to their guests about what is important in the renovation are all not good signs. My prediction: same terrible hotel as before, just with newer furniture.
Also tempted here... but the Westin is just so much better (although worse location for me personally).
Old May 13, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: SPG Plat; OneWorld Emerald; *A Gold
I ended up taking the plunge. The upgrades definitely make the rooms a lot more live-able. I actually don't mind staying here now...
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Can't wait to hear if they've done away with the 12" diameter sinks in the suites. They were more like an airline sink!
12" sinks are still in renovated rooms - very small. There is also limited countertop space in the bathroom around the sink, hard to fit all your toiletries.

I can hear the construction going on in the AM. I am on the 38th floor in a renovated room. The A/C works incredibly well. The doors are flimsy and you can hear the cleaning staff knocking on the doors in the AM asking to clean the rooms. The door does close somewhat slowly although still slams a little when it finally closes.

Still have a tub and not walk in shower. On the plus side - the largest TV I've ever seen is in the room. I assume it's standard size (55" or larger imo). Nice fruit plate and bottle, nuts, and bottle of wine as a Plat gift - very nice touch. Nice full length mirror in good spot to see. Nice shaving mirror in bathroom. Small fridge in room in corner (always like that). Lots of plugs and USB ports bedside (every hotel should have this imo). Safe not in closet but in dresser (like that - in closet safes are always so high up).

Decor is new but seems old school/stodgy style to me. If someone didn't tell me the room was renovated not sure I would've known (first stay here). Worst thing are the flimsy doors allowing you to hear hallway noise.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
Recent Stay

Recently completed a multi night stay at the Sheraton. Room renovations are occurring and are currently around floor 24. I needed some extra space and booked a parlour junior suite and was allocated a room on the 24th floor. Was advised that it was not renovated - as they were still working the renovations from the top down (and were currently at floor 25). Got to the room, the hallways were clearly redone. and so was the room. But old keys were given.

Eventually had to go down to get new keys.

Front desk agent apologized and gave breakfast coupons for one morning as a good will gesture. Had another issue with the keys not working. Went down again as the house phones near the elevators did not appear to work. Met the same agent, who apologized and actually came up to ensure that the keys worked.

The renovations to the room was complete. The only thing that was not changed were the doors to the closets and the door to the room. A much needed improvement from before.

Noise was a significant problem due to construction. Construction work started around 8 a.m. until about 4.30 pm. While 24 was finished, they were working on 25. I think you will be okay if you are floors 30 and higher.

Left the room and returned and found a cheese plate with a bottle of red wine from the front desk agent apologizing for the key issues.

For me, the rooms are okay and the location very convenient. I had stopped staying here for quite some time as I just could not stand the old tired rooms. While nothing spectacular, the rooms are a much needed improvement.

I would stay here again if I got a renovated room - and avoided any floor near the construction activity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.