Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long term stay at single SPG property

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
I've negotiated pretty steep discounts for long term stays (as noted with the sales department). Typically, in these arrangements if you check out once during the stay it may void your long term stay rate (90 straight days, cannot check out on weekends).

You can negotiate some pretty good stuff like access to the executive lounge, wifi, laundry/breakfast, etc..

Also be careful in the wording of the agreement you sign as they may try and remove spg credit and give you a steeper discount.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:44 pm

Talking of long term stays have any of the regular Sheraton Skyline London Heathrow visitors ever noticed the older lady who is in the lounge every single time I have been there? She has been staying there for literally years, initially with her husband who sadly passed away I was told. I wonder how many points she has
Old May 12, 2015, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you can't negotiate on price, you might ask for something that would make your stay more pleasant or less expensive, such as breakfast, discounts on laundry, a room upgrade, lounge access (no lounge here), etc. Think about what would be helpful for your situation.
Old May 12, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by neo_781
While 90 nights sounds like a lot, it probably isn't that much in the grand scheme of things to the hotel so they may not budge much on their published rates.
Originally Posted by Consultette
Realistically, properties in a major city may not get that excited about one extra room a day for 90 days if they can sell the rooms without any additional incentives.
As a former Revenue Manager, these are reasons why you may not have much luck in getting any additional discount. It's just a numbers thing. For example:

The Barcelona Le Meridien has 231 rooms, which means they have 84,315 room nights to fill each year. Ninety nights is roughly 0.11% of those nights. Where I worked, we wouldn't have negotiated a rate based on 90 nights unless they came with additional meeting/banquet revenue.

I'm not saying that the OP shouldn't contact the hotel and ask. But, don't take it personally if the hotel declines to negotiate a personal discount.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Assuming a normal week day rate of roughly $225 and weekend rate of $100, any thoughts on what price I should be happy with for a 30-32 day stay? I've requested a quote from a hotel locally to bridge the gap between rental end date and house close date.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Assuming a normal week day rate of roughly $225 and weekend rate of $100, any thoughts on what price I should be happy with for a 30-32 day stay? I've requested a quote from a hotel locally to bridge the gap between rental end date and house close date.
On the Marriott website, you can see the going rates for longer stays at Residence Inn, etc., although those places tend to negotiate rates too.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
As a former Revenue Manager, these are reasons why you may not have much luck in getting any additional discount. It's just a numbers thing. For example:

The Barcelona Le Meridien has 231 rooms, which means they have 84,315 room nights to fill each year. Ninety nights is roughly 0.11% of those nights. Where I worked, we wouldn't have negotiated a rate based on 90 nights unless they came with additional meeting/banquet revenue.

I'm not saying that the OP shouldn't contact the hotel and ask. But, don't take it personally if the hotel declines to negotiate a personal discount.
Thank you for clear explanation. I was just trying to get some info what can be expected
Old May 12, 2015, 9:21 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Would recommend looking at airbnb.com for 90 days. You will most likely find a better rate than you would find from the hotel stay.
Old May 12, 2015, 9:26 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
You may want to checkout airbnb.com usually a lot less expensive than a hotel stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.