Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:41 pm

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Upgrade

Greetings: We stayed at the falls last year, very few suites as far as I could see.As a Plat we were upgraded from the cheapest room I could book to a Fallsview, about the center of the hotel, the view was good and fair.

The hotel pool is good, pathway right in front of hotel starts you 0ff to Falls.
No club......service was a B, food same...a B.....I would say the best you can get on that side of the Falls.

The Falls were impressive,you walk right next to the drop off, different!

We spent two nights....long enough

Enjoy
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I appreciate all the input everyone has shared in this thread lo these many years. I just had wonderful service from an spg.com rep. who helped me reactiviate my account and book a falls view king room for next June, though sadly not over a full moon. It seems the general consensus was 2 nights is a good enough amount of time to spend at Iguazu and the opted to splurge for the view room because, well, for the view.

Think I'll get my Brazialian visa here in Canada, though have loads of time to do that.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 12, 2008 at 9:23 am
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:44 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by tcook052
though sadly not over a full moon.
I had the worst-case scenario.

I had a full moon with just enough cloud cover to cancel the nighttime falls tour.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:26 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by sbtinme
I believe the hotel's GM now is Roger Aberth -- he's been with the Sheraton group long before *wood was formed. I know he managed properties in Uruguay and Mexico before this. I met him some years back when he was overseeing the Westin Cancun and he was exceptionally gracious and listened to me ramble (and pretended to be interested!) for a good 15 minutes over cocktails. I think he's a GM who gets it. Treat the staff with great respect and be a good listener and you'll go far.
Roger Aberth is one of the best GM's in the Starwood system. I had the opportunity to meet him while staying at the Colonia, Uruguay property. Without going into detail, there was an issue that he resolved in ways above and beyond the call of duty.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I had the worst-case scenario.

I had a full moon with just enough cloud cover to cancel the nighttime falls tour.
I got so excited when I looked at the calendar and saw the little black circle indicating, what I thought, was a full moon. A closer look later revealed that symbol however was for a new moon, not a full moon, so no night tour while I'm there. Oh, well it woulda been nice but I can't complain too much being fortunate enough to get to visit the falls at all.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:39 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
If one can't get the full-moon tour, then it's not necessarily the end of the world.

Get to sleep early so you can get up early to have a go at the lower circuit trails. You're paying for the "location" with the Sheraton, so enjoy it! Early morning, you'll find that you'll have waterfalls & lagoons & entire sections of the path all to yourself before the hordes of tourists hit....just amazing. You'll have time to park yourself on a bench or lean against a rail & just take it all in while the sun rises.

At night, with a falls-view room, you can simply open your sliding glass door, leave the screen door closed, and fall asleep to the sound of the falls. You pay for sound-soothing little gizmos like that back home to fall asleep to...enjoy the real thing.

Or, bring along a bottle of Argentine Malbec to your room, & sit on your balcony & enjoy a glass while just listening to all the sounds.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by skye1
If one can't get the full-moon tour, then it's not necessarily the end of the world.

Get to sleep early so you can get up early to have a go at the lower circuit trails. You're paying for the "location" with the Sheraton, so enjoy it! Early morning, you'll find that you'll have waterfalls & lagoons & entire sections of the path all to yourself before the hordes of tourists hit....just amazing. You'll have time to park yourself on a bench or lean against a rail & just take it all in while the sun rises.

At night, with a falls-view room, you can simply open your sliding glass door, leave the screen door closed, and fall asleep to the sound of the falls. You pay for sound-soothing little gizmos like that back home to fall asleep to...enjoy the real thing.

Or, bring along a bottle of Argentine Malbec to your room, & sit on your balcony & enjoy a glass while just listening to all the sounds.
While this is all good advice, if one goes during off-season, such as in late May or June when I went, you will most likely be rewarded with fantastic weather as close to perfection as possible, as I had cloudless low-humidity days, although one day was rainy, and the park never did get crowded, even during the day. I often did have entire sections of the path all to myself.

If only that one night with the full moon would have been cloudless...

While not optimum, one can even hear the falls from a room on the jungle side of this property. The only problem is one will also hear the noise from the vehicles below.

It was truly great.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
This is truly a special hotel. I was there in Feb 08, before becoming an Elite member, so we had the jungle view room. We could see monkeys right from our window. When we were at the hotel, we spent a lot of time at the bar, where you can have a wonderful view of the falls even without an upgrade. Also, at least in Feb, it gets very buggy outside at night, so it may be best to view the falls from indoors.

We walked around all of the trails on the first day and took the boat that goes under the falls on the second. It was such a memorable trip - we thought two days was a perfect amount of time.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Completed a two night stay here this past week - I was given a jungle room at check in, so I immediately went to the Link to check availability of falls view rooms. Sure enough, they were still selling them. I asked at the desk and was subsequently moved to room 234 - middle of the hotel facing the falls. I was very pleased with the experience except for the high (by Argentine standard) food prices, but I know the prices are still a bargain for what you'd pay in a Sheraton anywhere else.

The falls were beautiful as always, and being able to get out to Garganta del Diablo before the crowds got out there was a real treat.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Thumbs up Early March stay

Had 2 C+P reservations.. called the week before to make sure they didn't have me listed as gold (which they did) so they refreshed my account. The hotel was sold out a week before my trip so I was doubtful about upgrades. When we arrived there was no check-in line, which was nice, and the rep immediately noted my platinum and informed me I was upgraded. He gave us a falls-view suite and a falls-view room (much better than 2 jungle view rooms). Additionally, they have an amenity book with many choices. I chose the bottle of champagne and appetizer platter. Overall, we had a great stay as many have echoed before. Enjoyed the proximity of everything and had a great dinner in the restaurant. Took some pictures of the suite and amenity (see below).. it seems like there are only 4 suites in total, so I was very pleased to get upgraded.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3553922...7614983940824/
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; PC RA Plat; UA 1P
Had a wonderful 2 night stay last week. Booked standard falls view C+P, was upgraded at check-in to Falls View 35_ as a Gold. The view from the window/balcony is magnificent, on par with the overwater bungalow experience I had in Bora Bora (though the room itself was not quite as nice).

Only bummer is that the park is only open from 8a-6p, the pool was busy after 6 as the guests probably had nowhere else better to hang out once the park closes.

Taxi service to and from the Park Center for the full moon tour was ridiculous, 15 pesos each way for a 0.5 km ride. We walked there ourselves and I would have walked back too, but alas my wife didn't feel the same way about a "romantic moonlit walk" back to the hotel to save 15 pesos (its the principle, not the 15 pesos).

Tips: free internet and free printing at the business center. Although I read that award stays don't include breakfast, nobody was asked their room number at the buffet breakfast at the Garganta Restaurant. Heck, non-Guests could probably eat for free.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 6:19 pm

Brazil Side

Question. We fly into the Argentina side and are staying at the Sheraton. On our final day we have a flight out of the Brazil side to Rio in the afternoon (1500). If we cross over in the morning and want to see the Brazil side of the falls, what is the best thing to do with our bags? Have a taxi take us to the airport, check in our luggage, then go back to the falls? Or is there a place we can take them so we aren't lugging them around while enjoying the scenary?

Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2009, 6:23 pm

The Hotel das Cataratas on the Brazilian side can probably accomodate you but you should check with the concierge or front desk at the Sheraton.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: Onepass Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Worldperks, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by xtremeflyer
Question. We fly into the Argentina side and are staying at the Sheraton. On our final day we have a flight out of the Brazil side to Rio in the afternoon (1500). If we cross over in the morning and want to see the Brazil side of the falls, what is the best thing to do with our bags? Have a taxi take us to the airport, check in our luggage, then go back to the falls? Or is there a place we can take them so we aren't lugging them around while enjoying the scenary?

Thanks

I would arrange a tour of the brazilian side of the falls at the hotel tour desk and have your tour terminate at the airport. That will save you the hassle of running back and forth to the airport. It is relatively inexpensive to hire a car and driver to take you to the falls and then the airport. I would imagaine around $50-$60. The Brazilian side will only take an hour or two at the most. There are no real trails like the argentina side.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:17 pm

I do not know about now, but back in 2005 the Brazil side of the park did not open until 13:00 hours.

If this still holds true today, you might be cutting it close timewise if you have a flight at 15:00 hours, but it is certainly not impossible to see the Brazil side within an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.