Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:51 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
This hotel really gets it. Their staff is just beyond awesome, and yep, they take very good care of their elites, both Golds and Plat's. I would be pretty confident that if they've got a falls view room available at check-in, they'd make it available to you.

If not, the often-tried method of asking if one would be available later that day (previous occupant enjoying their late check-out) might be helpful....since there's plenty to do & see to kill time right there...like some big ol' waterfall nearby

You're going to love it there.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 1:47 pm

There in September 07

We were there in September 07 and really enjoyed it. Even though the building is old and tired, I felt like they were doing the best they could with an old building. When you look back at it from the falls though, it is truly ugly - looks like a military communications center more than a hotel really. But, there is simply no better place to enjoy the falls (except maybe the Cataras (sp?) on the Brazil side). Being inside the park makes a profound difference in my opinion. So easy to enjoy what you can, come back and take a break, and head back out. If you forgot something....no problem!

Have no second thoughts - book it. It is an amazing property.....very kind staff too. I thought the breakfast buffet was just okay though....I have definitely had better for South America. I was actually surprised since they have a lot to make up in the property being older.....this would be a great place to really knock it out of the park for your SPG members!!

Anyway....just thought I would give my two cents since it is a recent experience. 2 days was definitely enough.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:29 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Just got back from our trip; arrived 9:30 AM on Friday but our room wasn't available until nearly noon; the hotel was completely sold out at $400+ (with taxes)/nt!!! Was a gorgeous sunny day when we arrived. We booked the full moon night tour, only for clouds to move in that afternoon and stay through the next day, so the full moon trip was cancelled.
Food prices aren't very reasonable either (lunch buffet is $30) but you don't have a lot of choice in the park.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Food prices aren't very reasonable either (lunch buffet is $30) but you don't have a lot of choice in the park.
There is at least one other choice regarding lunch within the park itself, which I posted in another thread:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
There is a parrilla buffet restaurant in the park where one can eat as much as one wants for one price. I do not remember the price, unfortunately, but it was a lot cheaper than what one would pay at the restaurant at the Sheraton.

I also do not remember the name of the restaurant, but it was fairly large, with windows. I enjoyed the fresh roast chicken. The taste was incredible! One can also have steak and fish, as well as a plethora of hot and cold choices from the buffet itself, although I was not all that impressed with the quality of the food. Stick with the hot offerings from the parrilla, have some rolls and salad, and partake in a side dish or two, including French fries.

Bonus: The person who seated and waited on me also gave me a coupon to use towards the meal. This was an unsolicited surprise that reduced the cost of the meal! Of course, I tipped him accordingly.

Recommendation: Eat a nice big lunch in the buffet restaurant in the park. At night, order room service from the menu in the room at the Sheraton. You will save a lot of money this way.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:27 pm

We had a good stay here on points at the end of Nov. We caught the last night of the full moon walk the day we arrived. It was great as mentioned before. Since the hotel was quite full, as gold, we got the jungle side but on the higher floor. It was very convenient to walk out to all the trails for hiking or activities right from the hotel. The one thing not mentioned yet that was a hightlight for us was the Macuco path hike. It is about 3 km. and takes you to a side waterfall with a pool at the bottom where you can swim. It was truly idyllic after a hike to bathe in a refreshing pool at the bottom of a waterfall in the jungle.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: most
We returned from our Argentina trip a week ago. I recommend the Sheraton Iguazu, particularly since you'll be right in the park. We spent two very full days in the park and three nights at the hotel.

Although we went to the Brazil side (we got the visas while still in the U.S. as we didn't want to take the time and hassle while traveling), I think if you've only get one day, do the Argentina side.

Someone on this site recommended the Gran Adventure tour, which consists of a truck ride through the jungle and then the boat ride under the falls. I would do it differently if I were to do this again. I would make the activity two separate trips: take a jeep tour instead of the truck ride. Be sure to do the boat ride under the falls though. You'll get sopping wet, but it's so much fun. You'll be given a heavy plastic bag for your personal items. We put our shoes in the bag, as well as my purse. You keep possession of the bag and your items stay dry.

We also did an ecological boat tour and this was surprisingly good. I hadn't planned on this tour but am really glad to have done it. We were in a zodiac (rubber raft with motor) along with only one other couple. There was a person manning the motor and a very good English-speaking guide. We saw the most wildlife in these 30 minutes than on the rest of the trip. These two men spotted the animals which I would have been sure to miss: a little cayman, some monkeys, turtle.

If you do go to the Brazil side, the bird sanctuary is a must. Only one hour of your time.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:02 pm

Location: airports: SFO (lots) OAK (when possible); live: Concord, CA
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I am at this property right now, having arrived this afternoon. I am a Platinum staying on points and they were not able to give me a falls-view room, citing availability, so we have a jungle-facing room. Unfortunately this means I am now 0 for 4 on upgrades since making Platinum in October.

Have signed up for the Gran Aventura trip tomorrow, which is the combination of 4 x 4 plus boat ride under falls. Keep in mind this tour is still only an hour; those with just one of the components is even less. Another thing to keep in mind is that the park closes at 6 p.m. This being summer, with daylight until 9 p.m. or so, this seems a bit ridiculous. We had taken the afternoon flight up from BA and got to the hotel, immediately left to go on a hike. Not 15 minutes later the ranger came down the trail and kicked everyone out. It was broad daylight. Ate dinner in the restaurant because it was night and we didn't know how close the town was. The restaurant was busy and it took forever, not very good and overpriced.

I'm here a few more days if anyone has questions.

SEA2BA
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:26 pm

Programs: most
The Grand Adventure will take more than one hour. You walk back. Nice walk though.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Just stayed here in January on a points stay. In general, my experience there was great. The hotel's location (especially with a falls-view room) with regards to the falls obviously can't be beat. While the hotel's decor was looking a little dated, everything was very clean and well kept up.

The hotel is one of the early hotels to participate in LINK@Sheraton, which meant there was an area of the lobby with three web-enabled computers that you could use for free, as well as a big work table and a tv room. This was very useful, although at times there was a bit of a wait for the computers.

One night and two days at the falls is enough time to walk all the trails and participate in the Great Adventure (the boat ride into the falls is not to be missed). The hotel is in a great location for relaxation though, and, between the pool and the view, it is a great place for a longer getaway, too.

At times the lobby and check-in area was a little chaotic with groups checking in, or it would seem sometimes groups would just use the hotel as a bus pick-up point or would want to see the hotel. For example, at one point while I was in the lobby cafe, a large group came in a crowded around the bar and took up most of the rest of the seats and tables for about half an hour, even though most didn't order anything. Also, smoking is allowed in the lobby cafe area, which I found annoying, but is more a characteristic of Argentina than the hotel.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:59 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I believe the hotel's GM now is Roger Aberth -- he's been with the Sheraton group long before *wood was formed. I know he managed properties in Uruguay and Mexico before this. I met him some years back when he was overseeing the Westin Cancun and he was exceptionally gracious and listened to me ramble (and pretended to be interested!) for a good 15 minutes over cocktails. I think he's a GM who gets it. Treat the staff with great respect and be a good listener and you'll go far.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by skye1
This hotel really gets it. Their staff is just beyond awesome, and yep, they take very good care of their elites, both Golds and Plat's. I would be pretty confident that if they've got a falls view room available at check-in, they'd make it available to you.
Stayed in Dec 2005 and they upgraded one of our three rooms, and getting that one upgrade (falls view) took a bit of coaxing - but worth it.

Otherwise, the staff was very friendly and helpful, you don't stay for the hotel (building), but for the location and the staff.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:19 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Tomayto
The Grand Adventure will take more than one hour. You walk back. Nice walk though.
One suggestion: opt for the jeep ride AFTER the boat ride, and you get the natural "air dry" in the wind as the jeep hauls down the road.

Originally Posted by kazakie
Stayed in Dec 2005 and they upgraded one of our three rooms, and getting that one upgrade (falls view) took a bit of coaxing - but worth it. Otherwise, the staff was very friendly and helpful, you don't stay for the hotel (building), but for the location and the staff.
Worth it indeed! Yep, close the sliding glass door & the curtains & all you see is a very "average" Sheraton room. But why do that? Open the sliding glass door & curtains at a lot of average Sheratons & you hear freeway, etc.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA GLD, SPG PLT, National Exec Elite
Hello FT,

I've been a lurker for a while but have an upcoming trip to South America planned and decided that it is a great opportunity for a first post.

I have a falls view points stay planned for the end of November. What is the upgrade success here? Is there a club lounge?

Also, i've heard different things regarding the entrance fee into the park when you are staying at the hotel. If you take a taxi from the airport do you have to pay the entrance fee into the park?
Old Nov 16, 2008, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by jester585
Hello FT,

I've been a lurker for a while but have an upcoming trip to South America planned and decided that it is a great opportunity for a first post.

I have a falls view points stay planned for the end of November. What is the upgrade success here? Is there a club lounge?

Also, i've heard different things regarding the entrance fee into the park when you are staying at the hotel. If you take a taxi from the airport do you have to pay the entrance fee into the park?
I was at this property last month and had reserved a jungle view room on points. At check-in, I was identified as a Gold member and was upgraded to a falls view room and offered a 4pm check-out. I didn't even think to see if there was a club lounge (I know, shocking, right?) Cab fare between the airport and hotel was 60 pesos (roughly $20USD) each way. I did have to pay the entrance fee to the park on arrival but from that point on you show your room key to avoid paying any additional entrance fees.

I hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did. The falls were amazing and one of the highlights of my trip.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 4:33 pm

With respect to your question about upgrades, if you already have a falls view room booked your chance of a further upgrade to a suite is limited. When I was there two years ago there were only four suites in the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.