Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2007, 5:28 pm

We're thinking of going to Argentina the end of Nov. and might like to include a trip up here. Is this an OK time? The Sheraton website mentions other nature type activities in the area including hiking etc. Would there be enough outdoor activities to do for longer than 2 days including time to just relax?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:13 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by ziti 2
We're thinking of going to Argentina the end of Nov. and might like to include a trip up here. Is this an OK time? The Sheraton website mentions other nature type activities in the area including hiking etc. Would there be enough outdoor activities to do for longer than 2 days including time to just relax?
This site looks like it might be helpful. I ate at both restaurants mentioned in Puerto Iguazu, and they were excellent.

http://www.iguassu-misted-falls-vaca...flow-rate.html
Old Sep 10, 2007, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by sushibear
This site looks like it might be helpful. I ate at both restaurants mentioned in Puerto Iguazu, and they were excellent.

http://www.iguassu-misted-falls-vaca...flow-rate.html
Thanks sushibear! A nice website that was a big help. It looks like Nov. doesn't have the best flow rate but that's our opportunity to go and the Sheraton sounds like a good base for exploring with plenty to do.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Global Services , Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by atxtraveler
Just spent the past two days here at Sheraton Iguassu, and I am currently paying for one night of internet access to post pictures, etc.
I spent a couple nights at this Sheraton Iguassu at the end of last month and was similarly impressed by the fantastic treatment as a platinum member. I also received Suite A and was very impressed with the size of the patio! In fact, when I got to Buenos Aires a few days later, my entire room at the Marriott (which they told me was my platinum upgrade) probably could have fit on the patio of my room in Iguassu.

In addition to the unique amenity offerings, they also provided bottled water every day and comped the internet. They told me to accept the charges and they would remove it from my bill on checkout, which they did without any prompting. I hope they removed yours as well!
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by ziti 2
Thanks sushibear! A nice website that was a big help. It looks like Nov. doesn't have the best flow rate but that's our opportunity to go and the Sheraton sounds like a good base for exploring with plenty to do.
I was at Iguazu in November and if the flow rate was low, I certainly did not notice. I thought the Falls were amazing.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by KimmyAA
In addition to the unique amenity offerings, they also provided bottled water every day and comped the internet. They told me to accept the charges and they would remove it from my bill on checkout, which they did without any prompting. I hope they removed yours as well!
They did not remove it, but frankly after the wonderful treatment I received, I was more than willing to pay it and therefore did not ask.

To answer the other poster's question about staying past two days... yes, there is plenty to do. You can hire out the drivers from the hotel for the day and explore the Brazilian side of the falls, you could go shopping in Paraguay, or you could just do some of the other fun activities in the area. I would say 3-4 days were easily filled.

The driver Walter there speaks great English, as well as Spanish, German, and Portugese.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:35 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
I suggested this earlier, but if your two days falls anywhere on the days when the moon is full, get yourselves on one of the full-moon walks at night. Incredible! They usually depart from the hotel lobby around 8pm or so, or from the visitors center at the park. You can book them to include a decent buffet at the park restaurant.

The "Gran Aventura" boat ride that takes you under (yep, under, yep, you'll get VERY wet) several falls & up & down the river is, IMHO, worth a splurge.

And, part of Iguazu is not having to fill the two days with a lot of activity...the falls are just that amazing. You'll find plenty of spots along the trails where you'll just want to stop, & sit, & take it all in...with no time constraints. You'll also want time to just sit on your balcony or patio & just listen.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by skye1
And, part of Iguazu is not having to fill the two days with a lot of activity...the falls are just that amazing. You'll find plenty of spots along the trails where you'll just want to stop, & sit, & take it all in...with no time constraints. You'll also want time to just sit on your balcony or patio & just listen.
Thanks for all the tips. We were looking at using the 5th night free award here and all the reading I've done here and on suggested sites sounds great. As we like both outdoor activities and the above-mentioned as well, it sounds like it will be easy to enjoy 5 days as we don't enjoy rushing around. There is some availability near the end of Nov. so I think we'd better book it. It's our first time to Argentina and we hope to combine this with MDZ or BRC or FTE for a real contrast. I will definitely post a review if we go.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 6:49 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I suggested this earlier, but if your two days falls anywhere on the days when the moon is full, get yourselves on one of the full-moon walks at night. Incredible! They usually depart from the hotel lobby around 8pm or so, or from the visitors center at the park. You can book them to include a decent buffet at the park restaurant.

The "Gran Aventura" boat ride that takes you under (yep, under, yep, you'll get VERY wet) several falls & up & down the river is, IMHO, worth a splurge.

Oooh this sounds neat! We're looking to go to Iguazu/BsAs over Thanksgiving. We're leaving the night of the 24th (official full moon) at 7PM, but will be there the 23rd. Will they have the walk that night as well?
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:11 pm

Programs: most
Would someone please compare Sheraton Iguazu on Argentinian side with Das Cataratas on the Brazilian side? We're going in December for two nights. Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:49 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Oooh this sounds neat! We're looking to go to Iguazu/BsAs over Thanksgiving. We're leaving the night of the 24th (official full moon) at 7PM, but will be there the 23rd. Will they have the walk that night as well?

Possibly. It's usually for a "window" of a few days. I'd suggest calling the hotel concierge to confirm, the national park office there to confirm, or check a few weather/almanac sites on the net to confirm what days the moon is full over Puerto Iguazu, Argentina. It's definitely a great experience worth checking into.

Noting you're an SPG Gold, make sure that your SPG number is in your profile. And, upon checkin, ask nicely if they were able to upgrade you. Several reports (including mine) from SPG Golds getting upgraded to a falls-view room if available. An SPG Plat gets one a falls-view suite if avaiable.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Tomayto
Would someone please compare Sheraton Iguazu on Argentinian side with Das Cataratas on the Brazilian side? We're going in December for two nights. Thanks.
I stayed at both hotels last year (1 night Cataratas, 2 nights Sheraton). The Sheraton is a far superior property. The Cataratas is a historic structure but with old rooms and furnishings and mediocre food in the restaurant. By all means cross to the Brazilian side for the views, stop at the hotel for a drink if you wish, but stay at the Sheraton.

On the way to the Brazilian side from the Sheraton, if you take a taxi have the driver stop at the bird sanctuary that's on the way. Very interesting for an hour or so.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:17 am

Possibly. It's usually for a "window" of a few days. I'd suggest calling the hotel concierge to confirm, the national park office there to confirm, or check a few weather/almanac sites on the net to confirm what days the moon is full over Puerto Iguazu, Argentina. It's definitely a great experience worth checking into.

Noting you're an SPG Gold, make sure that your SPG number is in your profile. And, upon checkin, ask nicely if they were able to upgrade you. Several reports (including mine) from SPG Golds getting upgraded to a falls-view room if available. An SPG Plat gets one a falls-view suite if avaiable.
Thanks for the tips. We have now booked 3 nights on points for Nov.25 - 28. I am Gold so hoping there will be an upgrade to falls side. We were hoping for the "moon" walk, too, so if hauteboy is right, we've lucked out. Sounds great!
Looks like we will just miss you, hauteboy.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:36 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by LAXGUY
On the way to the Brazilian side from the Sheraton, if you take a taxi have the driver stop at the bird sanctuary that's on the way. Very interesting for an hour or so.
Because the park on the Brazilian side did not open until 1:00 in the afternoon, we had no choice but to go to the bird sanctuary while waiting for the park to open.

It was not something I originally wanted to do, but I was not sorry at all that I did it.

I could not help but think that somehow this is a way to increase business for the bird sanctuary, especially due to the early timing of when the driver left the Sheraton hotel with no indication of heading over to the bird sanctuary, but I guess I am being cynical at this point.

The entry fee a couple of years ago was US$8.00, if I recall correctly.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 5:33 pm

Programs: most
Bird Sanctuary

To LAXGUY: Thanks for the info. I intend to put it to good use. To CANARSIE: So, do you think the Bird Sanctuary is a worth a visit even if it takes away from the Falls viewing? (I'll have 2 days of Falls viewing, BTW.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.