Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ajnaro
There is an ATM right inside the toll gate at the entrance to the park. There are lots in the town as well.
Perfect ajnaro, muito obrigado!
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ajnaro
I have stayed at the Sheraton Igauzú and was given a falls view suite, which I very much appreciated. Nonetheless, one should bear in mind that the falls are a long way off and are often covered by a cloud of vapor that is naturally generated by the water falling. Even when the wind blows in the right direction, the view is only of the top portion of the falls -- there is really no view of the water crashing down. Even though it is the best view that can be had from any hotel, it seems to me not be worth too much effort. Nothing replaces really being near the falls and feeling its power. The approach is actually much closer on the Brazilian side, but there is no view at all from the only hotel inside the park there (Hotel das Cataratas).
I agree with what you have said about the view from the falls view rooms. But, if I were to return I would get a room on the jungle side, not facing the falls.

Why? You are not in your room long enough to get significant benefit from the view of the falls. You are going to spend the majority of your time outside...in the park. When you eat breakfast in the restaurant downstairs, there are large picture windows facing the falls, with magnificent views...all for free.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Orlando Vic
I agree with what you have said about the view from the falls view rooms. But, if I were to return I would get a room on the jungle side, not facing the falls.

Why? You are not in your room long enough to get significant benefit from the view of the falls. You are going to spend the majority of your time outside...in the park. When you eat breakfast in the restaurant downstairs, there are large picture windows facing the falls, with magnificent views...all for free.
I completely agree, except take care as to where that jungle-side room is located.

If your room is directly above the entrance to the hotel, you may hear a lot of occasional noise from cars and buses, as well as loud people...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
We just got back from a stay at the Sheraton in Iguazu. We stayed in both Brazil and Argentina and for anyone making the trek to see the falls, you HAVE to stay in the Sheraton.

It is right in the park and, while the park is technically closed from 5:00 pm to 8:00 am you can enter the park and walk the superior path and have the whole iguazu falls to yourself. That alone is worth paying full price for the Sheraton!

We were met by an Argentinian park ranger who wanted to know what we were doing in the park before it opened, but he gave up after 10 minutes of us feigning ignorance of Spanish and let us have the falls to ourselves.

The breakfast is excellent and the restaurant is not too terribly overpriced for a steak. It was about AR 120 for a steak or about $28 which can be split by 2 people.

We were SPG gold members and were upgraded to a falls view room. It was nice to be able to see the falls at night from our window.

To sum up, do yourself a favor and stay at this hotel. It is not as shabby as some posters make it out to be.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

With all due respect, I'll beg to disagree. I guess this is definitely a beauty in the eye of the beholder kind of thing. And I take your point about spending much of the day outside. But even if it's just an hour for coffee in the morning and an hour for drinks in the evening--and we definitely spent more time lingering in the evening--the view from the balcony and the roar of the falls are still spectacular. Of course, both are much more powerful when you're up close. But as hotel views go, this is one of if not the most memorable ones my wife and I have ever had. In addition, the "jungle view" from many rooms on the other side might more appropriately be called a parking lot view.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
All,
Just a quick note about the "Jungle" tour boat that you get soaking wet on.

Yesterday (March 21) there was a major accident with one of these boats and I, unfortunately, was on the Lower Trail when it happened and witnessed the entire thing.

One of the smaller boats went into the falls, hit a rock and capsized. The screams I heard when that happened and for at least 15 minutes afterwards (until rescue came) were something I hope I never hear again.

Not to make this overly dramatic but the Jungle Tour Boats on the Argentina side are CLOSED for the foreseeable future. Rumor has it they will be closed for at least six months while an investigation happens.

In the meantime, the Brazilian boats are still running.

You can google "Iguazu Raft Accident" and you will see a lot of articles (all copied off of each other) about the accident. To sum it up: the boat hit a rock, capsized and two people died. Five were seriously injured and two were unharmed. I stood in shock on the lower trail for over two hours watching the entire thing unfold and then the rescue effort that ensued.

I've just returned to BsAs for five days so I won't process pics until I return to SEA next week.

Travel safe and definitely stay at the Sheraton if you can.

-RM
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by ptpinit
Did you bring AR$ with you or get some from an ATM at IGR? We are coming from IGU, so I'm trying to figure out how to get some AR$ before reaching the park entrance to pay for the entry fee. Maybe stopping at an ATM in Puerto Iguazu first?
If you don't have AR$, you can pay in US$ at the entrance of the park. It's USD 30 per person.

Why? You are not in your room long enough to get significant benefit from the view of the falls. You are going to spend the majority of your time outside...in the park.
As a Plat, I was upgraded to a suite with Falls view. I did not spend too much time in the room as you said and I would not have paid extra for a falls view. But a free upgrade is always nice
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by gsch
If you don't have AR$, you can pay in US$ at the entrance of the park. It's USD 30 per person.
Ouch, that's double the AR$60 price! (using current conversion of 4.04:1)
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by gsch

As a Plat, I was upgraded to a suite with Falls view. I did not spend too much time in the room as you said and I would not have paid extra for a falls view. But a free upgrade is always nice
When I was there in late May 2010 only Argentine currency was accepted at the entrance to the park -- no US dollars or Brazilian reais -- but there was an ATM just inside the entrance.

I was also upgraded to a falls view suite, with a huge veranda. The falls are quite far off in the distance, though, and are often covered by vapor generated by the falls themselves. When the wind is blowing in the right direction you get a bit of a view.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 6:57 am

I have booked a non smoking Falls view at a AAA rate for our upcoming stay in May.

I checked room rates today at the AARP rate and I can get a smoking jungle view for $75 less per night.

We are non smokers but $75.00 would come in handy for dinners, etc. Every category of room is available at the best rate. Any thoughts on if they would honor a request for non-smoking if I book a smoking room.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:30 am

Customer service!

Getting primed for our stay at this property in mid-May. Received a friendly email from the reservation chief yesterday regarding the upcoming renovations to the 2nd floor rooms, of which I was already aware and not particularly looking forward to.

Sent a friendly email back to said reservation chief, and noted I had requested a newly refurb'd 3rd floor room upon check-in in my reservation. Got yet another friendly email back this morning, stating I had already been upgraded to a superior, newly refurbished 3rd floor falls view room for free! We are on a 2-night C+P stay ^
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Glacier
I have booked a non smoking Falls view at a AAA rate for our upcoming stay in May.

I checked room rates today at the AARP rate and I can get a smoking jungle view for $75 less per night.

We are non smokers but $75.00 would come in handy for dinners, etc. Every category of room is available at the best rate. Any thoughts on if they would honor a request for non-smoking if I book a smoking room.
Just came across this so I hope my reply is not too late: Don't switch from a falls view to a jungle view room. The views from the falls view rooms are fantastic; from the jungle view room, you're likely to be looking out at the parking lot.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:41 pm

Thank you Thunderroad... you are not too late. Our reservation is not until mid May and we have not switched... we will keep the Falls view room. I probably will only get there once in my life so the view will be worth it!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Glacier
Thank you Thunderroad... you are not too late. Our reservation is not until mid May and we have not switched... we will keep the Falls view room. I probably will only get there once in my life so the view will be worth it!
Good for you! To get the best view, ask to be on the highest floor possible and to be as far over on the left (facing the falls) as possible.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:19 pm

Can I modify my reservation online to request the high floor or should this be done by email/phone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.