Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Does it still make sense to get SPG cards for flight rewards? (merger question)

Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

I'm in Canada. We have limited credit card options compared to the US. I travel abroad a fair bit; and not always with the same airline. Direct flight options vary widely based on destination, so a rewards program with many redemption options is best.

I spend on business and personal in CAD, and also spend a fair bit on a USD card. After research, I *thought* the SPG amex was perfect: I could get a card for each use case, and redeem the points for a variety of flights.

But, then I read about the Marriot merger, and resulting uncertainty. This makes me hesitate to trade in all three of my credit cards for SPG amexes.

1. Do you think it makes sense to nonetheless fully dive into the SPG program, at least to get the signup bonuses?
2. If SPG becomes more like Marriot points, how is Marriot for my scenario of needing flight redemptions with a variety of airlines?

I don't care much about hotel rewards differences. Apart from the occasional airport hotel stay, I mostly stay in Airbnbs when I travel.

Thanks! Apologies if this was answered in a more recent thread. I went several pages back through the forum, but couldn't find any recent merger talk. At least, not related to flights.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:31 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by graemeblake
I'm in Canada. We have limited credit card options compared to the US. I travel abroad a fair bit; and not always with the same airline. Direct flight options vary widely based on destination, so a rewards program with many redemption options is best.

I spend on business and personal in CAD, and also spend a fair bit on a USD card. After research, I *thought* the SPG amex was perfect: I could get a card for each use case, and redeem the points for a variety of flights.

But, then I read about the Marriot merger, and resulting uncertainty. This makes me hesitate to trade in all three of my credit cards for SPG amexes.

1. Do you think it makes sense to nonetheless fully dive into the SPG program, at least to get the signup bonuses?
2. If SPG becomes more like Marriot points, how is Marriot for my scenario of needing flight redemptions with a variety of airlines?

I don't care much about hotel rewards differences. Apart from the occasional airport hotel stay, I mostly stay in Airbnbs when I travel.

Thanks! Apologies if this was answered in a more recent thread. I went several pages back through the forum, but couldn't find any recent merger talk. At least, not related to flights.
AMEX & Chase will be duo partners of the new merged program that is coming sometime in 2018. In Canada, Chase Canada sold their credit card portfolio to ScotiaBank so I assume the contract agreement would have been transferred. I imagine AMEX and Scotiabank will be the partners of the merged program in Canada.

Hotel cards has better value for hotel use. If you only plan to use it for Airline miles, the corresponding airlines credit card would earn you more miles per dollar spent. Every time you convert from one program to another (without promotions), there is a small loss in the transaction in the best of circumstances. Doesn't make much sense to get a SPG AMEX if you're not staying in a SPG hotel and use Airbnb - especially when first year is NOT free with the Canadian SPG AMEX card. The out of country/out of province insurance is non-exsistance for SPG AMEX for your travels. So you're better off getting the AMEX Gold charge card. The AMEX Gold charge card has travel insurance and allow you to transfer to SPG or Aeroplan. Furthermore, Canada's main airlines Air Canada uses Aeroplan until 2020, there isn't a lot of "good deal" earning possibility for other airlines through credit card. If you fly Cathay Pacific or British Airlines, then Royal Bank has a card for those.

Furthermore, there is a 2.5% fee on foreign purchases. There is only a rare handful of card in Canada that doesn't have this - Rogers Bank, yes the cellphone company, have two of their cards (Rogers Mastercard or Fido Mastercard) that doesn't have foreign transaction fees. That's an instant 2.5% savings on top of their cashback feature. That's a much better value than you can get with SPG AMEX or AMEX Gold.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just got the SPG Amex, and my plan is to accrue as many SPG points as possible before the programs merge. Who knows what Marriott will ultimately come up with when they combine the programs. But right now SPG points are the best convertible currency out there, and it's a reasonably safe bet that we will have plenty of advance warning before Marriott makes any major changes that affect the ability to convert them to airline points. Also, the (US) SPG Amex is arguably the best card out there for everyday spend, with 1 SPG point per dollar spent. I really see no reason not to accrue SPG points in the near term.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:12 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Kacee
I just got the SPG Amex, and my plan is to accrue as many SPG points as possible before the programs merge. Who knows what Marriott will ultimately come up with when they combine the programs. But right now SPG points are the best convertible currency out there, and it's a reasonably safe bet that we will have plenty of advance warning before Marriott makes any major changes that affect the ability to convert them to airline points. Also, the (US) SPG Amex is arguably the best card out there for everyday spend, with 1 SPG point per dollar spent. I really see no reason not to accrue SPG points in the near term.
The original poster was asking about Canadian based cards specifically. In the Land of the Free, everything is better including their lowered Annual Fee, new slick purples designed SPG AMEX and that legendary 100,000 bonus of the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Even the AMEX Plat in USA is better and metallic with more bonus points than the plastic thing we have here.

None of that applies to Canada sadly.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I suspect this thread will get merged eventually as it is ultimately just speculation about the future.

Due to the Marriott Rewards Travel Package (1 hotel week + 120K AS miles) for the equivalent of 90K Starpoints, I'm fairly relaxed. That package already offers great value, with SPG good for airline transfers of the 20-40K variety. (i.e. Nights & Flights). Since Marriott seem hyper-sensitive about what SPG members love about SPG, I would be shocked if the travel packages were enhanced away.

As mentioned, take advantage of SPG for as long as you can, and expect enough advance warning to make adjustments as and when...
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yeunganson
The original poster was asking about Canadian based cards specifically.
So what? The basic question was whether SPG points are worth accruing given the uncertainty about program future. The answer to that question doesn't vary by country of residence. (And IMO it is definitely a "yes.")
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if burning, why not? if long term, likely all will change.

craigthemif, one issue is if conversion rate changes.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:45 am
Original Poster

I already have the Fido mastercard. It's great for travel. Didn't realize the starwood amex lacked travel medical insurance, but I do have that through my health plan already.

yeunganson, are the SPG cards worse in Canada? My impression is that they get a point per dollar just like the US cards, which is actually favourable for Canada since our dollar is worth less. Based on what I've read in this thread, it sounds like it's worth getting the SPG amex for my main business card at least. I can deduct the fee, and will be able to get a fair number of points during 2018 at least.

As I mentioned, getting a card with a single airline isn't a great option, since the direct flights from my city may be with different airlines; Air Canada doesn't have directs to all destinations, but foreign airlines have more. So, transfererable miles are prefereable. It sounds like SPG is still the best.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Welcome to FT, and yes, might as well milk the SPG Amex for all it's worth before the Marriott takeover. Right now the 3 to 1 conversion to Marriott points is very good.

Even if you got one of the Canadian Aeroplan cards, you would be earning 1 mile/$ spent (except for grocery, gas, pharmacy). With the SPG Amex, you will be earning 1 point/$, but when you convert to most airlines (UA being the notable exception), you can get 1.25 miles/point. For UA, you're best to transfer to Marriott points, then to UA miles from there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.