Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:07 pm

Sheraton Iguazu Falls - platinum upgrades & extra adult?

I'll be visiting Iguazu falls soon and was hoping to use my SPG points and Platinum status to book a room while there. We have 5 guests, and I was hoping to book two rooms, with two in one room and three in another. The SPG booking system will only let me select two people per room, though. Is this going to be a problem?

Also, does anyone have experience with platinum suite upgrades at this hotel? The SPG system does not allow for points bookings for falls view rooms (only the less desirable "jungle view"), but I'm wondering whether my Platinum status will allow me a free upgrade to a better room at this property, if available when I check in.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Gold, Hertz
Originally Posted by BayAreaResident
I'll be visiting Iguazu falls soon and was hoping to use my SPG points and Platinum status to book a room while there. We have 5 guests, and I was hoping to book two rooms, with two in one room and three in another. The SPG booking system will only let me select two people per room, though. Is this going to be a problem?

Also, does anyone have experience with platinum suite upgrades at this hotel? The SPG system does not allow for points bookings for falls view rooms (only the less desirable "jungle view"), but I'm wondering whether my Platinum status will allow me a free upgrade to a better room at this property, if available when I check in.
I can't answer your question about having 3 people in the room, but I was there in April on Cash & Points with 2 regular jungle view rooms. Both were upgraded to huge suites with decks facing the falls, the best rooms they have.

We were also treated very well by the staff.

The food overall is terrible, but everything else about our stay was fantastic.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Few questions: Is the hotel walking distance to the National Park Information Center?
Is there anywhere in the park open for dinner or must one go to town as an alternative to eating dinner at the Sheraton?
Is there a bus from near the Sheraton to town and if I go to town do I have to pay the park entrance fee again upon return to the Sheraton?
How long does the bus take to town?
Taxi service from IGR is now 310$pesos. How viable is it to take a bus from the airport to town and then a bus or taxi from town to the Sheraton. (one person)
I have a great corporate rate for the jungle rate at the Sheraton but I'm not happy about all I read re: the hotel (aside from the view). Doubt I'll get an upgrade as I have no SPG status.
Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Few questions: Is the hotel walking distance to the National Park Information Center?
Is there anywhere in the park open for dinner or must one go to town as an alternative to eating dinner at the Sheraton?
Is there a bus from near the Sheraton to town and if I go to town do I have to pay the park entrance fee again upon return to the Sheraton?
Taxi service from IGR is now 310$pesos. How viable is it to take a bus from the airport to town and then a bus or taxi from town to the Sheraton. (one person)
I have a great corporate rate for the jungle rate at the Sheraton but I'm not happy about all I read re: the hotel (aside from the view). Doubt I'll get an upgrade as I have no SPG status.
Thanks in advance.
The hotel is in the park. No restaurants AFAIK for dinner other than those in the hotel.

The hotel is in between IGR and the town, so it's not advisable to take a bus from IGR to town and then town to Sheraton (you'll be back tracking a lot!).

The hotel is in a very secluded area. It's *pitch black* on the roads after you leave the highway to the hotel (so dark that I was driving on the road from the highway to the hotel and pulled over and see how dark it is - I can't see my hands in front of my when I turned off my lights).

I tried walking around the hotel grounds one night and I was afraid to venture too far out because of how dark it is (and god knows what was lurking in the darkness, but also it was cool to see the Milky Way!).
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by nov11
The hotel is in the park. No restaurants AFAIK for dinner other than those in the hotel.

The hotel is in between IGR and the town, so it's not advisable to take a bus from IGR to town and then town to Sheraton (you'll be back tracking a lot!).

The hotel is in a very secluded area. It's *pitch black* on the roads after you leave the highway to the hotel (so dark that I was driving on the road from the highway to the hotel and pulled over and see how dark it is - I can't see my hands in front of my when I turned off my lights).

I tried walking around the hotel grounds one night and I was afraid to venture too far out because of how dark it is (and god knows what was lurking in the darkness, but also it was cool to see the Milky Way!).
All I'll add to this useful info is if "jungle rate" means the side without the view of the falls, if you can afford it at all it's worth it to pay more to get that view and to hear the roar of the water.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
As I recall, there was at least one other restaurant in the park that I went to for lunch. It was a buffet and it was OK - nothing special but not bad. I have no idea if it's open for dinner but it might be.

When I was there, I never had dinner at the Sheraton but opted instead to take a taxi in to town for dinner.

A taxi from the Sheraton to town was not expensive when I was there. I'd just do that as opposed to the bus. Taxis to town were fast - no more than 15 min. There was no need to pay the park entrance fee again when returning to the Sheraton.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by RCyyz
As I recall, there was at least one other restaurant in the park that I went to for lunch. It was a buffet and it was OK - nothing special but not bad. I have no idea if it's open for dinner but it might be.
I believe I know the restaurant in the park about which you are referring.

I forget the name and agree for the most part that the buffet was nothing special; but the grilled chicken was outstanding — and I do not typically eat chicken when dining out.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
All I'll add to this useful info is if "jungle rate" means the side without the view of the falls, if you can afford it at all it's worth it to pay more to get that view and to hear the roar of the water.
Thanks to EVERYONE for your helpful info. Unfortunately, our corporate rate is only valid for the view of the jungle. Falls view is regular rate which is more than double.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by RCyyz
When I was there, I never had dinner at the Sheraton but opted instead to take a taxi in to town for dinner.

A taxi from the Sheraton to town was not expensive when I was there. I'd just do that as opposed to the bus. Taxis to town were fast - no more than 15 min. There was no need to pay the park entrance fee again when returning to the Sheraton.
The town IIRC, is quite far from the hotel, maybe a good 20 minutes drive (around 6-7 miles away). I rented a car since I was coming in from Brazil and that made it more convenient.

Thanks to EVERYONE for your helpful info. Unfortunately, our corporate rate is only valid for the view of the jungle. Falls view is regular rate which is more than double.
I don't know if your company if is paying for it or if it's a vacation, but like everything else in Argentina, pay with pesos and you get your stuff about 1/3 cheaper. There are a couple of blue-rate cuevas in the town, but the rate isn't as good as those in BA.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:19 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I had a stay here in June, just one night (quick in/out to see the falls as part of a business trip to BsAs).

I knew I didn't want a jungle view room, and was pretty confident that I wouldn't be upgraded with only SPG Gold status. I also couldn't swallow the $279/night rate for a falls view room. I went to online chat on SPG.com and was delighted to learn I could do a SPG points stay in a falls view room for only an extra 2,500 points/night over a jungle view room.

It's worth exploring your many options with this property. I was delighted with my stay, even if the food was disappointing. It's the nicest and most relaxing way to see the falls without a doubt.

Side note that part of the park (Devil's Throat) was closed due to heavy rains, YMMV. We did the boat ride which was exhilarating and 100% recommended.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:07 pm

Going next week. Weather preview says thundershowers in Iguazu every day. Anyone been here lately and can shed some light on how heavy the rain really has been and how much of a constraint it will be on my short time at Iguazu? Perhaps I should cancel and rebook another time in less rainy weather season? Thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Going next week. Weather preview says thundershowers in Iguazu every day. Anyone been here lately and can shed some light on how heavy the rain really has been and how much of a constraint it will be on my short time at Iguazu? Perhaps I should cancel and rebook another time in less rainy weather season? Thanks.
I can't speak to current conditions but it was rainy when we visited a few years ago, and we were very glad we did not call off the trip due to the forecast. One downside is that we did not see the rainbows that are apparently often present in the sunnier weather. But it was still so spectacular, and the rain was occasional and didn't interfere at all with our enjoyment of the falls. It was quite uncrowded as well.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starwood Platinum
I was just there last week - don't bother looking at the forecast. Things ultimately change frequently. Things said 100% rain for each of the two days I was there, and while we had storms the one night and rain each morning, things cleared up both afternoons.

My best advice is to be prepared for all weather regardless of how the day starts out - you'll want a poncho and sunblock on you at all times.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:35 am

getting into town

One option is to take a taxi into town. Once there the main street has a number of "remise" (private car) agencies that will take you back. You can pick up their card and call them when you want to go back to town. It is cheaper than taxi and very reliable. There are a lot of nice restaurants in town for dinner. Also, I'd like to reiterate that it is definitely worth it to go to both Brazilian and Argentine sides. A number of posters say you shouldn't both to get the visa and deal with both sides. The Falls are quite different on each side and worth it. If you travel all the way to the Falls, don't shortchange yourself.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by AlaninPS
One option is to take a taxi into town. Once there the main street has a number of "remise" (private car) agencies that will take you back. You can pick up their card and call them when you want to go back to town. It is cheaper than taxi and very reliable. There are a lot of nice restaurants in town for dinner. Also, I'd like to reiterate that it is definitely worth it to go to both Brazilian and Argentine sides. A number of posters say you shouldn't both to get the visa and deal with both sides. The Falls are quite different on each side and worth it. If you travel all the way to the Falls, don't shortchange yourself.
Thanks. I definitely intend on exploring the town. Do you remember how much the Taxi was from the Sheraton into town? Are there remises (rather than taxi) at IGR airport to take to the Sheraton? Or how do you suggest to get from IGR to Sheraton for a reasonable price? (one person/1 smallish luggage+backpack)

Thanks everyone for the comforting me re the weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.