Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I did this on a 2 night stay :
Day 1, arrive noon, Argentina side, staying in the park after the day visitors have left
Day 2, full day on the Brazil side, inc rainforest tour and boat trip under the falls
Day 3, morning on the Argentina side, getting in before the day trippers arrive. Flight departed IGU 16:00

IMHO, if you only plan to visit the falls once, then the Brazil side is a must.
I was informed that Argentina side was the place to go for the falls? (Devil's throat for example)

Let me know FT!
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by FPmiles
I was informed that Argentina side was the place to go for the falls? (Devil's throat for example)

Let me know FT!
Having done both, the Argentina side is the best, but the Brazil side is, IMHO, also a should-do, especially the speedboat trip under the falls.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I did this on a 2 night stay :
Day 1, arrive noon, Argentina side, staying in the park after the day visitors have left
Day 2, full day on the Brazil side, inc rainforest tour and boat trip under the falls
Day 3, morning on the Argentina side, getting in before the day trippers arrive. Flight departed IGU 16:00

IMHO, if you only plan to visit the falls once, then the Brazil side is a must.
Hey Oxon,

Sweet, sounds like a 2 night stay seems adequate

Were they stingy with the late check out request? 10am checkout is kinda early for me.
Having a cdn passport, its a pain getting a visa to brazil. Hence only staying in IGR side.

And guys, is devils throat now open? Thanks!

Last edited by supatight80; Jun 2, 2015 at 7:59 am
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I had no problem with getting a late check out, can't remember exactly until when, IIRC it was about 2pm.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by supatight80
Hey Oxon,

Sweet, sounds like a 2 night stay seems adequate

Were they stingy with the late check out request? 10am checkout is kinda early for me.
Having a cdn passport, its a pain getting a visa to brazil. Hence only staying in IGR side.

And guys, is devils throat now open? Thanks!
Devils Throat was open while I was there. And yes, they were a bit stingy re late checkout here - although I was able to get Your24 approved with some doing (and help from the Ambassador desk).
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Devils Throat was open while I was there. And yes, they were a bit stingy re late checkout here - although I was able to get Your24 approved with some doing (and help from the Ambassador desk).
Thanks Sperry. Almost forgot to do the Your24 until i read your post. How many nights did you stay?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Just finishing up a stay at the Sheraton. A few points:

*Devil's Throat was open today.
*I'm still a bit disappointed that the Sheraton does not publish room service prices in the hotel info book. Front desk said you have to call Room Service and ask the price for each dish you want to try.
*We were upgraded from a jungle view to a falls view, so it seems that upgrade does happen from time to time. Capacity seems a bit down here. We are in a normal King size room, C+P.
*Water pressure is horrible and the showers are narrow with the drain in an odd position.
*Internet slowed down to about .15 MB/S at about 6 p.m. yesterday, when I assume everyone had returned from the park and was waiting for either dinner in the restaurant (opens at 7) or in town. The cost is $70 ARS/day, which you have to bill to your room first, and it will apparently be reversed at check out.
*Remis from IGR cost about $260 ARS to the Sheraton.
*Staff is a bit indifferent--no real warm customer service from anyone.
*Restaurant, for those of you captive like us, is a notch or two short of OK. Couple sitting next to us last night looked like they were choking down their steak. We have been on a meat overload since leaving Mendoza, so it was nice to order something other than meat. But I've had much better.
*Breakfast was much better than dinner. Someone mentioned OJ being great here. That hasn't changed.
*In the last few hours, we've had a total of 6 monkeys run across our hotel railing. They'll stare at you for a few moments, perhaps inquiring as to whether you'll give them food, and then they'll continue on to the next balcony.

For us, we are leaving with the impression that the hotel is, first and foremost, all about the view. Everything else is secondary, including customer service, the spa, food, etc. If you managed your expectations accordingly, the hotel cannot get in the way of the awe of the falls.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:23 pm

Just arrived and staying here for 2 nights. The view is simply breathtaking. Used C&P jungle view classic I believe and got upgraded to Terrace Suite overlooking the falls on 1st floor. Suite itself is over 1000 square feet (including terrace). It's actually not that bad. When you wake up in the morning and you turn your head to the left, and you're looking directly at the falls...So pretty

As for prices, they're not overly expensive. Laundry I think is quite cheap. Dress shirt for 5$, jeans 6$.
Have to call B.A. and was told it's 7 pesos per minute. So quite cheap.

Alcoholic drinks like pisco sour and mojito is about 10$. It's definitely cheaper than in b.a. where rum&coke is 16$ at the Sheraton convention. Also chose a 1 litre bottle of red wine and cheese as a platinum benefit.

Staffs are actually quite friendly and the person checking me in was super nice and sweet, he told me he was waiting for me for 3 hours and had a nice suite ready. No complaints so far when it comes to service...and definitely a nice place to relax and distress....Also got 2pm check out as a your24 benefit.

Oh, taxi is now 260 pesos per way plus 260 pesos entrance fee to hotel. Now that's quite expensive for a short ride. Would have been nice if property offered shuttle service as airport is quite close by.

Edit: their pisco sour is s#cks. Doesn't taste good

Add on: water pressure on 1st floor is normal. Just like any other hotel. Good water pressure. Breakfast is so limited...eggs, chorizo, congee, cold cuts, tomato, cereal, and that's pretty much it. Options is more like the one you'd get at a club lounge brekky. Not full restaurant.

Add on: Excellent service, could not fault them a single bit. Surprised that everyone at front desk called me by my last name, even though I haven't met a few before. Asked me how my stay was, anything they can improve, etc. Good job on the service level. Top notch service provided.

Last edited by supatight80; Jul 11, 2015 at 12:31 pm Reason: add on:
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by supatight80
Just arrived and staying here for 2 nights. The view is simply breathtaking. Used C&P jungle view classic I believe and got upgraded to Terrace Suite overlooking the falls on 1st floor.
Perfect. I arrive on Saturday. I want that suite upgrade!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun
Perfect. I arrive on Saturday. I want that suite upgrade!
Haha I'm leaving Saturday, tell them you want my suite after I vacate. Lol
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I'll be in Brazil in a month and am thinking of spending a couple nights at the Sheraton in Argentina. Do I need to pay the reciprocity fee to enter Argentina at the Iguazu Falls entry point? (I'm a U.S. citizen).

I already have the Brazilian visa.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ChiCityFlyer
I'll be in Brazil in a month and am thinking of spending a couple nights at the Sheraton in Argentina. Do I need to pay the reciprocity fee to enter Argentina at the Iguazu Falls entry point? (I'm a U.S. citizen).

I already have the Brazilian visa.
Yes, but honestly, if you have the means to just stay on the Brazilian if you're denied entry, I wouldn't pay it.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by terpzone
Yes, but honestly, if you have the means to just stay on the Brazilian if you're denied entry, I wouldn't pay it.
I was planning on using points at the Sheraton. Are there any reasonable options on the Brazil side?

I've read mixed reports on the internet about whether or not you actually need to pay the reciprocity fee to get into Argentina if you're just there to see the Falls. If anyone has firsthand experience, please do share your thoughts.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
I recently had a very nice stay here on all points. I received a buy up offer a few days prior for $50 per night to falls view but did not accept and upon arrival I was upgraded to Terrace Suite! I requested the points arrival gift but also received a full bottle of wine and cheese plate later that night.

The room was fine but of course the star attraction was the terrace with its’ fantastic views of falls. I had no complaints of water pressure, in fact thought the waterfall type shower head was quite good. The wifi was slow though and there was only 1 channel (CNN) in English (but a satellite system with 100+ Spanish channels).

I thought the breakfast buffet was quite good, 5-6 hot items plus cooked to order eggs, fantastic juice and yes, even some sparkling wine for mimosas! I had room service dinners on my terrace which were fine. I was amused by the room service menu/price sheet though; Basically you decide you want item ex. Pasta H001 or whatever and then flip to the price sheet in back of binder to see the current cost. I think this is a hedge against fluctuating costs without having to reprint the whole book probably.

I actually handed out some well-done certificates because I was so happy with the front desk agent. The young man working was really friendly and helpful in explaining the park as well as all different transport options available, loaning adapters, etc. The turn down lady with chocolate and room service attendants were also quite friendly.
I was into the park first thing and for a few hours it felt like I had the place to myself, only occasionally seeing anyone on the trails. By midday when I made it up to the mini train station and trip to Devils Throat it was starting to get quite crowded.

Finally, I’ll share some data points on transportation costs. I arrived and departed from IGU in Brazil side. I paid BRL 150 at IGU airport for taxi on credit card, the driver did all the formalities at both borders and with the line at ARG border the total time took about 1 hour. Departing back to IGU the hotel arranged taxi at ARS 560 which accepted cash only so we stopped at ATM at Park Entrance (no atm in hotel), again the driver went inside and got passport stamped at both stations but with no border waits the travel time was only about 35 minutes.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ChiCityFlyer
I was planning on using points at the Sheraton. Are there any reasonable options on the Brazil side?

I've read mixed reports on the internet about whether or not you actually need to pay the reciprocity fee to get into Argentina if you're just there to see the Falls. If anyone has firsthand experience, please do share your thoughts.
points + cash is a great option for this hotel, FWIW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.