Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by BonViveur
TINY shower with poor flow
Is this some sort of irony, considering the amount of water flowing right outside?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I enjoyed my stay here... used SNAs to get one of the Terrace Suites and wow, the Terrace is amazing. However the suite itself is definitely one of the smaller suites I've seen. There estimate of the square footage has to include the terrace for it to be correct. I had no shower issues with low water flow or size.

Checkin was lovely, breakfast buffet yummy and lunch buffet nice too when they had it. Weirdly one day they did and another they had only a la carte (both mid week days). Taxis are 260 Pesos each way to/from airport which is only 15 minutes away. LOVED being right in the park so I could get an early start to see the Falls. And yes, you pay the park entry fee 1x as you arrive via taxi... I think it was 250 Pesos (or very close to it).

I chose to use the C&P rate as well even though I had money via the blue rate. The hotel is still pricey and I was able to get the >$300+ room rate down to a reasonable $110. Yes, not the best value conversion of points since everything is 1/3 off using the blue rate - but still came in at ~$.02 per point here and saved me a few hundred bucks.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Hoping someone can help answer what I expect is a very easy question if you've visited this hotel before:

If I'm staying at the Sheraton and want to take in several of the trails / options (Upper, Lower, Devil's Throat, Boat Trip of some sort),
a) Which of those will incur an additional cost on top of park admission?
b) Do I need to go back to the visitor center to pay, or is it possible to purchase tickets elsewhere?

Many thanks in advance. Couldn't find the answer either on FT or on the Iguazu Argentina website.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Hoping someone can help answer what I expect is a very easy question if you've visited this hotel before:

If I'm staying at the Sheraton and want to take in several of the trails / options (Upper, Lower, Devil's Throat, Boat Trip of some sort),
a) Which of those will incur an additional cost on top of park admission?
b) Do I need to go back to the visitor center to pay, or is it possible to purchase tickets elsewhere?

Many thanks in advance. Couldn't find the answer either on FT or on the Iguazu Argentina website.
You pay the entry fee 1x before you get to the Sheraton (in the taxi ride on the way). That's it. The Sheraton is located in the park and you don't need to pay again for the walks or train ride to the other side. You only pay if you want to do one of the boat trips or take a heli.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
You pay the entry fee 1x before you get to the Sheraton (in the taxi ride on the way). That's it. The Sheraton is located in the park and you don't need to pay again for the walks or train ride to the other side. You only pay if you want to do one of the boat trips or take a heli.
And if you leave the park to go into town you do not need to pay again.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: free agent
Would recommend a stopover in town to pack supplies such as snacks & drinks before enter park. A mistake i made - didn't stop before enter park and have to put up with pricey drinks & snacks (breakfast wasn't good, due to lack of competition but can't beat location & view)
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
You pay only once on the Argentine side and, as others have said, you can come and go as you like after that. However, if you want to visit the Brazilian side that is another matter. In principle, you have to have a Brazilian visa and you definitely have to pay another admission fee. If you have an Argentine car you will have to get temporary Brazilian insurance, although this is not always enforced. European Union and a few other passports are exempt from the visa fee. In the past some visitors have managed to cross over without a visa, but that involves significant risks.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: SPG Plat; OneWorld Emerald; *A Gold
Location was amazing, definitely can't beat it. I stayed here for a night, used one of my SNAs on it and had one of the Premier suites on the top floor in the middle of the hotel.

Hotel is a bit dated, but really only game in town.

Staff were very helpful, friendly and I thought they were top notch. Definitely top among the Sheratons I have been in.

View from the room:

lcDSC03626 by LPCHOY, on Flickr
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Very accommodating

Stayed there over Easter...
Staff is very accommodating. Was checked in without any issue or need to pay anything extra at 3am. Was told that normally, as Starwood Gold I would have fall view room, but nothing was available at that time. At the end was given Jungle View room (which is really a parking lot and entrance view room) but was quite happy to get any room with a bed in it at 3am .

We arranged airport transfers through hotel as I was not certain I'll be comfortable finding taxi at 2am. trip from Brazilian side (IGU) was USD 77, trip back to the airport was either AR$ 560 or US$56. There was none at the park entrance to pay entrance fee to.

Request for 2:30pm checkout was accommodated without any fuss.
Our booking said that 3rd adult will cost $60 extra but nothing was charged at the end.

Room service dinner was the best Room service I've ever had in any hotel - steak was delicious and Argentinian Wine was very good. Bargain for the price of AR$800.

One thing - when they say "close the balcony door to avoid monkeys getting in", they really mean that - I've seen couple of monkeys inspecting every balcony for the open door
AX
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Stayed here last Monday and Tuesday. Great location, but everything else average.
Staff was helpful but not to great lengths. Twice they promised to deliver something to my room which did not happen. Also, having a "green choice" or "do not disturb" sign on your door means nothing. Cleaning crew still knocks asking if you want fresh towels.
Breakfast buffet is good, but nothing special if you traveled the world. For Americans used to bagels and soggy scrambled eggs, the buffet is of course "fantastic".
Water pressure in the shower is beyond ridiculous. A tiny drip. You would think with the falls nearby they could muster a much better flow.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Breakfast buffet is good, but nothing special if you traveled the world. For Americans used to bagels and soggy scrambled eggs, the buffet is of course "fantastic".
Free of charge? for everyone? With champagne? Show me another Sheraton where they have same arrangements... Except of standard hotel coffee that tastes like it's brewed from old socks and lack of tomato juice I found no reasons to fail the breakfast.
AX
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CRAZ8
Is this some sort of irony, considering the amount of water flowing right outside?
it's legitimately the worst shower I've ever been in. you have to climb the sloped edge near the wall just to get under the water.

i booked 3 rooms for a couple nights each in february several months in advance as a plat member and this hotel still cancelled 1 of my rooms due to overbooking. They gave us a dining credit and upgraded rooms for the second night, but still, good riddance. It's not like it's not a remote as hell location that people travel for soley for the hotel. Very disappointed
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:35 pm
Suspended

If I knew beforehand what I know now, I probably would have stayed in Iguazu town and cabbed it to the park early in the morning for a full day of walking.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Spent 2 nights at this hotel this past week, and had such a wonderful experience that I had to share.

Hard to go wrong when you get upgraded to a Terrace Suite (looks like there are only 4 in the entire property?), without even needing SNAs. Loved the suite - not the biggest, nor the most nicely-appointed I've ever had, but it was pretty solid inside. Outside, the terrace is breathtaking. It's enormous and the view is mind-blowing: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...race-suite.jpg

The hotel is a bit dated, but you feel that mostly in the hallways - room felt nicely refreshed.

Food was ok - some hits and some misses. Surprisingly good steak, chicken, I think my wife had an eggplant lasagna one night which was pretty good. Ambiance in the restaurant isn't great though (better to do room service and eat out on your balcony enjoying the view!). Breakfast buffet was good - scrambled eggs looked REALLY soupy, but you can order omelettes / eggs cooked to order, so that's a non-issue IMO.

Service was good - nothing over the top, but helpful when needed. We were also there on my birthday (though I don't believe I ever mentioned that in the reservation), and received a birthday cake that night (very nice touch!).

The sticker price IS high (though paying with pesos bought at the blue rate brings the effective rate down considerably), but I was surprised at how relatively inexpensive everything else was once on-site. EG dinners for two for ~500-600 pesos, couples massage for 1750. Other countries are obviously cheaper, but I was pleasantly surprised given the nightly room rates.

Would highly recommend this hotel if you're planning to visit Iguazu Falls (though I fully recognize that my experience is hardly typical given the terrace suite upgrade). The convenience of being able to walk out the back and onto the trails (and then back again at the end of the day) was just amazing.

Happy to answer any questions about this hotel or the AR side of falls in general.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Visas?

Trying to figure out what Visas I need - flying from GIG-IGU and know I need to a Brazilian Visa for GIG.

It seems that IGU is in Argentina and the Sheraton is as well? Will I need an Argentinian visa as well? That puts a damper on the wallet for our 3 day stop in IGU...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.