Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great summary! ^

How about getting from ICU to Sheraton and back or going down town for dinner? Is it convenient without a car?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
We rented a car at the airport on the Brazilian side and drove to the Sheraton on the Argentine side. You’re supposed to buy insurance before crossing the border, and we did so but we were never asked to show the receipt. A car is very convenient for travel between the falls sites in the two countries, for dining on one side or the other, and for sightseeing in the countryside. The car services offered at the Sheraton are expensive. You can drive into Paraguay for duty-free shopping and there is also a duty-free shop on the Brazil/Argentina border but we avoided shopping since there is a lot of counterfeit merchandise on sale and a lot of price haggling is required. However, it might be worth taking a look at the Itaipú dam. In general we were very glad to have the car while at the Sheraton.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Putt86
Apologize for not mention several important infos - I got visa, since i'll visit Rio then fly down to IGU. I recently paid $160 for Argentina, and probably will visit both countries again in future. I read little bit about blue dolar rates, and little unsure if it's that common in the Falls. I used cash & points for my stay to drive down costs.

Anyone recently took hotel's prepaid vehicle pickup, or ride taxi? My friend and I would love to rent a vehicle but heard about stingy rules on taking it to Argentina from IGU, along with no knowledge how to operate manual transmission vehicles .
Is the cash part of cash and points prepaid? Even if not and you pay cash at the blue rate, the points (and category) were presumably calculated using the official exchange rate so that I would think that it's generally a bad idea to use either points or cash and points in Argentina at this time. At the blue rate, hotel prices in dollars are cheap down there; just ignore the prices stated in dollars when you book and do the conversion at a *reasonable* blue rate--you probably can't realistically get the really good blue rates without risking counterfeit bills or other shady dealings.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajnaro
We rented a car at the airport on the Brazilian side and drove to the Sheraton on the Argentine side.....
Which car rental company did you use?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by TerryK
Which car rental company did you use?
Avis, but as I recall there are lots of car rental companies at the airport.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Adults + Kids

We are staying for 3 nights in Sheraton Iguazu on points + $, the reservation only allowed for 2 adults + 1 kid as option, we have 3 kids with us, in the past we have winged it at Starwood properties in Hawaii and mainland. Question, are the SPG properties in Argentina really picky about # of kids? Do they check all passports at checkin? I have requested a Platinum upgrade which looks good according my concierge.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
We are staying for 3 nights in Sheraton Iguazu on points + $, the reservation only allowed for 2 adults + 1 kid as option, we have 3 kids with us, in the past we have winged it at Starwood properties in Hawaii and mainland. Question, are the SPG properties in Argentina really picky about # of kids? Do they check all passports at checkin? I have requested a Platinum upgrade which looks good according my concierge.
The rooms are very small. Even if they let you stay together in one room you need to have very tiny kids. Otherwise your least favorite one needs to sleep on the balcony.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I can't speak from experience, but it seems that you're taking a chance and should be prepared to shell out for a second room if necessary. On an encouraging note, when my wife and stayed there a number of years ago the front desk staff seemed friendly and informal...but all it takes on the other hand is one desk clerk who's not in a good mood or simply is obligated to play it by the book. And a real stickler conceivably could say that you need a second room even if you're upgraded to a suite.

Whatever you do, make sure to request an room(s) facing the waterfalls (and preferably on an upper floor), as that is part of what makes staying there a special experience.

Hope it all works out.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are staying for 3 nights in Sheraton Iguazu on points + $, the reservation only allowed for 2 adults + 1 kid as option....
There is a good reason for allowing only 2+1. Rooms are rather small.@:-) Even Premier Suites, which is the standard Platinum upgrade, can barely accommodate 2+2. Terrace Suite may work for 2+3 but it still will be a tight squeeze. Note Terrace Suite is not a standard Platinum upgrade and they only have four of them. I would book two rooms if I were in your shoes.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
make sure to request an room(s) facing the waterfalls (and preferably on an upper floor)
This hotel is one of the few where I've requested "best view" over "largest room" in my upgrade preferences.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Where can you get pesos at the blue rate in Iguazu?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:42 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Stayed 4-6 Jan 2015. We had 2 rooms. One was a falls view booked on points (pref largest room) and one was a suite booked on points (pref best view).

The suite booked was offered on the top floor (3), right in the middle. Great view and long balcony facing the falls. TINY shower with poor flow, but otherwise, a great room to enjoy the falls. The room booked was upgraded to a terrace suite on the 1st floor. Great room and great upgrade.

Breakfast was offered as well as the 500 points. Great, large buffet with everything we wanted. Service and food offering is typically Sth American. I even received a gift ( I asked for it and offered to pay, but they said I should take it in return for my loyalty).

We had the churrasco buffet on the first night. Quite expensive but you are stuck in a national park. All things considered, better than expected for the location.

This is a perfect place to both enjoy the sight and sound of the falls and only a 5 min walk from the trails on the Argentine side.

There are many reasons for using a car service rather than renting, but the best are:

- the driver waits for you everywhere. We were collected from airport in Brazil, did the heli flight, the Brazil side and then were transferred to the hotel in Argentina, with our luggage looked after, in the car, all day.
- the driver is a guide and can save you hours of waiting in line by purchasing tickets from the guides' line. Two girls on our tour of the Argentine side waited over two hours. We waited two minutes.
- the driver goes to a different booth at the border so you don't have to line up.

It was $46 for transfer only or $120 for the transfer plus all the driving and waiting. A fantastic bargain to save all the time.

Last edited by BonViveur; Jan 18, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by BonViveur
Stayed 4-6 Jan 2015. We had 2 rooms. One was a falls view booked on points (pref largest room) and one was a suite booked on points (pref best view).

This is a perfect place to both enjoy the sight and sound of the falls and only a 5 min walk from the trails on the Argentine side.

There are many reasons for using a car service rather than renting, but the best are:

- the driver waits for you everywhere. We were collected from airport in Brazil, did the heli flight, the Brazil side and then were transferred to the hotel in Argentina, with our luggage looked after, in the car, all day.
- the driver is a guide and can save you hours of waiting in line by purchasing tickets from the guides' line. Two girls on our tour of the Argentine side waited over two hours. We waited two minutes.
- the driver goes to a different booth at the border so you don't have to line up.

It was $46 for transfer only or $120 for the transfer plus all the driving and waiting. A fantastic bargain to save all the time.
Probably a stupid question:

But if you stay here do you have to pay the entrance fee to get into the Park?

Will arrive early PM day one, then have a full day to look at Brazil falls then back for PM ARG falls.

Don't really want to pay for ARG twice
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I have to give kudos to this property, even though we never got a chance to stay there. LAN decided today was a good day for a strike, so they canceled all flights and in turn we had to cancel our trip to Iguazú. The hotel was generous enough to allow us to cancel tonight's reservation with no cancellation fee.

And they had already upgraded us to a falls-view, too...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blindman
....Don't really want to pay for ARG twice
You only need to pay once, when you first enter the park before checking in. No need to pay for returns. Note payment at entrance gate is cash only. Be sure to have ARS ready for payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.