Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Gwen, Luxury Collection, Chicago USA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

FYI, DiamondRock Hospitality announced plans to convert the Conrad Chicago into a to-be-named hotel under Starwood's Luxury Collection. The conversion is expected to take place later this year. The hotel will be managed by a third party manager (Starwood is the franchisor).
Old May 8, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Really? Just stayed here a couple of weeks ago and was underwhelmed. Maybe they recognized that.
Old May 8, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Its a nice hotel in a nice area, although a block behind the real nice area. I like the deck when the weather is nice.
Old May 8, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Starwood today announced it will introduce The Luxury Collection brand to Chicago, following the conversion of the hotel now known as Conrad Chicago.

The hotel will offer unparalleled luxury and personalized service in a prime downtown Chicago location with direct access to the upscale boutiques along the Magnificent Mile shopping district.

To be maintained with a new as of yet, undisclosed name under The Luxury Collection brand flag this Fall, following a conversion and renovation, the hotel marks another milestone for the brand, which continues to debut marquee conversion hotels and invest in landmark renovations around the world.

Adam Aron, CEO of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. contributed “Starwood is keenly focused on accelerating the pace of our growth. Conversion opportunities, where we can bring existing hotel properties into the Starwood system, are a particularly compelling part of our strategy to expand the potential of our world-class brands.”

“We are delighted to debut The Luxury Collection in Chicago in this ideal location downtown location, as we continue to seek out opportunities to grow the brand in premium markets around the world,” said Hoyt H. Harper II, Global Brand Leader, The Luxury Collection Hotels & Resorts.

“This hotel will deliver impeccable service and modern sophistication to the new generation of luxury travelers near the Windy City’s best shopping, dining and attractions.”

Located at 521 North Rush Street, the hotel boasts a second entrance on the Magnificent Mile shopping district on Michigan Avenue and offer direct access to The Shops at North Bridge.

The hotel is within close proximity of the Chicago Loop, Navy Pier, Millennium Park and variety of world-class restaurants, night clubs and bars.

Guests are also within easy reach of the city’s top-rated attractions including Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Art Institute of Chicago and Wrigley Field – home of the legendary Chicago Cubs baseball team.

“The Luxury Collection continues to gain momentum in North America through strategic conversions and landmark renovations in top-tier cities like this one,” said Allison Reid, Senior Vice President, North America Development for Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

“Owners and developers are increasingly seeking out The Luxury Collection brand to reposition existing assets and quickly benefit from Starwood’s powerful systems and loyalty program.”

With a fast-growing 95 hotels and resorts throughout the world, including 16 in North America, The Luxury Collection brand continues to convert hotels including the recent addition of Sunset Key, 30 luxury cottages nestled off the coast of Key West, as well as invest in renovations, including the iconic Palace Hotel in San Francisco and the St. Anthony Hotel in San Antonio.

Last edited by Johnny Rocket; May 8, 2015 at 2:29 pm
Old May 8, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Good to have another option in Chicago.
Old May 8, 2015, 2:28 pm

Wasn't this hotel a Le Meridien just before the LM brand came to Starwood?
Old May 8, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
Wasn't this hotel a Le Meridien just before the LM brand came to Starwood?

Yes, it was sold in 2005 and converted to Conrad.
Old May 8, 2015, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From the location and comments above, I assume that this isn't the old large Conrad Hilton near the Loop.
Old May 8, 2015, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I've loved this property (as a pre Starwood Le Meridien and Conrad) and location. Another good choice in Chicago!^^^^
Old May 9, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Very nice addition to spg, i guess.

The location cant be beated.
Old May 9, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I wonder if this spells the end of some of the less desirable properties along the Mile...
Old May 9, 2015, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
When I stayed here last summer it was significantly cheaper than the Mag Mile properties like the Intercontinental. Like almost half the price. You know Starwood is going to try to get the rates higher especially if they stick it in the Luxury collection. Although I think they would have to completely gut the hotel and rebuild if they want it to be in the same class as other Luxury collection hotels that I'm familiar with.
Old May 9, 2015, 3:47 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
So glad to see this property back in its near-original fold.

Yes, it was Le Méridien Chicago before the Starwood takeover and the location is unbeatable. I would've liked to see it return to its former banner as central/downtown Chicago can easily host another Le Méridien besides the current one in Oak Brook... But I'm sure the Luxury Collection branding will turn this place around and spruce the area up.

Great news.

- K
Old May 22, 2015, 8:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just had a stay here last week as a Conrad. It's a good hotel with a very good location. You're three blocks from the CTA Red Line, close to the Magnificent Mile and an easy walk to the Loop. Plus, the rooms are pretty large, the bathrooms are nice and the terrace are is nice too.

Here's a link to my stay report which has pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24821873-post223.html
Old May 23, 2015, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I quite like the Conrad Chicago and spent probably 30-40 nights there a couple of years ago for work. As others have noted, the location is great with lots of good restaurants walking distance in and around the River North area. I loved going to the Rock Bottom restaurant and brewery, it's just a couple blocks west of the hotel. Awesome beer and food, with a nice rooftop patio. The breakfast in the hotel back then was awesome for golds/diamonds and had a decent gym (at least for my hotel standards).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.