Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sneak peek into the summer promotion for SPG!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sneak peek into the summer promotion for SPG!

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Personally, I'm embarrassed by this post. It's one thing to say that you find this promo disappointing given your stay patterns, but please don't blame our very valuable messenger.
+1
Old May 8, 2015, 2:55 am
formerly lcag08

Pretty poor promotion :/
Old May 8, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by SCPigskinPrep
William

If I was in your position, I would be embarrassed to even post this garbage......but I guess we all have to tow the corporate line once in a while.

Honestly, this is just pathetic and insulting.

I think my days of SPG first and foremost are just about over. If you guys don't care about my 100 plus nights over people who never stay, then why should I care to be loyal to SPG.
My posts on this thread make clear my feelings on this promo but I see no reason or call for the above.

William did us all a favor to give us the heads up and allow us to know how poor this promo is and thus plan as we see fit.

There is no reason or need to make this personal towards William, you should be thanking him for posting what he probably was aware was a promo that would not go down well but once again came through for us by letting us know in advance!
Old May 8, 2015, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Although I most likely will not be able to participate at the promotion due to my stay pattern, but this my personal problem and I certainly do not blame SPG for it.
same here....i may be able to sneak in a couple of stays that include a friday night but this promo does not work for me as well....can't blame spg though....you win some & you lose some....
Old May 8, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Originally Posted by Keyser
same here....i may be able to sneak in a couple of stays that include a friday night but this promo does not work for me as well....can't blame spg though....you win some & you lose some....
You actually can blame SPG... You have to remember that loyalty is a two way street. I am loyal to them by choosing to stay (and many times going well out of my way and altering plans to do so) at SPG hotels to the tune of 133 nights last year. They are loyal to me by providing good customer service in the form of upgrades and perks, as well as enticing me to stay by throwing me a few extra points that I can use to take the wife somewhere. The upgrades seem to be fewer and farther inbetween now and with no other enticement, this turns into a one-way street with me doing the giving and them doing the taking. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. This is the basic premise of a service-based business... Good customer service equals loyal customers.

Maybe they have run the numbers and determined that keeping their most loyal customers happy is not as financially important than trying to entice people to fill rooms on the weekend. So... We all have the choice. Fight through it and stray loyal or try out the backup brand to see if the grass is greener on the other side. It's a personal decision. Personally, I am going to think this one through. I've been nearly 100% SPG for 10 years. With fewer perks and not extra shedkles being thrown my way, I am now wondering what the point is.

in all fairness though. I have generally been happy with SPG. I have received good service when it's most important... When I have been on trips with the wife. That's important to me.
Old May 8, 2015, 5:14 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I have one trip in the promo period. *sigh*
Old May 8, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
And I typically have 1 weekend night, not 2.
Old May 8, 2015, 5:48 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by uxb
I have one trip in the promo period. *sigh*
So take a trip! Take your wife or girlfriend away for a romantic weekend.

But not both at the same time.
Old May 8, 2015, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jb3t
You actually can blame SPG...
personally i would have to disagree....in the past, some promos have worked very well for me & some just haven't....same goes with perks at different properties....some treat me extremely well & some don't even offer the bare minimum perks....but generally i have been pretty happy with spg over the last 7 years....
Old May 8, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Keyser
personally i would have to disagree....in the past, some promos have worked very well for me & some just haven't....same goes with perks at different properties....some treat me extremely well & some don't even offer the bare minimum perks....but generally i have been pretty happy with spg over the last 7 years....
This.
SPG, which has far better insight into their overall customer travel patterns, has decided that this promotion is in their best interest to attract travelers.
It doesn't benefit me, and without the targeted promotion, it is in my best interest to book other hotel chains that will benefit me.
If they have a promo toward the end of the year, and it fits me, then I will book SPG again. If not, maybe it is time to re-up my status at Hilton. Whatever works out best for me.

And the attack on Lurker, as others have pointed out, was not only not necessary, but over the line.
Old May 8, 2015, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Umm...I also got the 4 stays = 2 free nights thing...so, that is the real prize and this is the icing on the cake. I just have to figure out how to make this work....
Old May 8, 2015, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by toddml
no need for the extra expense of a gratitude queue for this one
I see nobody's bothered to mention that this is a 100% participation promo. But then there wouldn't be as much to whine about.

Thanks, William.
Old May 8, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I see nobody's bothered to mention that this is a 100% participation promo. But then there wouldn't be as much to whine about.

Thanks, William.
Why does 100% participation even matter here?

It's not a stay X times get X points promo, where excluded properties mean you have to choose wisely to earn quickly in the period.

Couldn't care less if it's a weekend stay for 1k pts. Might as well decline housekeeping to get the same.

On the same level as 100% participation on the tribute portfolio promo.
Old May 8, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Personally, I'm embarrassed by this post. It's one thing to say that you find this promo disappointing given your stay patterns, but please don't blame our very valuable messenger.
+1
Old May 8, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Although some promotions are better than others, it is great that the SPG Lurkers post new promotions and pertinent program changes in Flyertalk before those are advertised on the SPG web site or via email. It is a shame that a select few take that for granted.

Thank You William and other SPG Lurkers. Keep up the excellent communication!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.