JW Marriott Seoul [Master Thread]

Old Aug 18, 2000, 9:37 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

JW Marriott Seoul [Master Thread]

Marriott has opened their new 497-room JW Marriott in Seoul, South Korea. It's a 33-story property in Kangnam (south side).
Old Aug 18, 2000, 1:30 pm
DH

That's south of Han River which divides Seoul east to west.

------------------
For money savings ideas & tips check & FF miles bonus for fiance & auto buying check out ValueConsumer.com
Old Aug 3, 2001, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
I recently stayed at this hotel, and it was really incredible. The room was large with a large marble bathroom with separate shower stall (glass enclosed) and tub. The fitness room in this hotel was by far the nicest I've ever seen in a hotel. Oxygen is pumped in. There must have been 300 state of the art pieces of equipment. Many television screens and each user is given a mobile headset and waistpack to receive the audio.

The hotel is connected to a shopping center with a good food court as well as McDonald's, KFC and other restaurants. While I normally don't look for these things, Seoul is so expensive that it was nice to have breakfast for less than $25. There is also a bus station and subway station connected to the mall.

The hotel is expensive though. Coffee for three in the lobby bar was $19!
Old Aug 4, 2001, 4:32 am
In Memoriam

This has been open since september last year.

As a trick, have your buisiness partner in Seoul mkae the reservations and make it in Won, I am ALWAYS able to realize a 30% savings on this plan.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 4:13 am

Programs: NW, MR SE,
Smile Seoul Marriott - Great stay as a Gold, this time

Just wanted to let you know about the recent stay at the Seoul Marriott. I stayed for three nights total, two nights followed by another night before flying out, and the staff treated me like a king. They had my portfolio and the selected room ready when I checked in. The check-in lasted may be a minute and I was on my way to my room on the elite floor looking out the south side of the town. They had a welcome note from the manager with a welcome plate containing an orange, a banana and four cookies, (yum, yum) as well as two complimentary bottles of water, excellent since I was really thirsty.
A visit to the Concierge lounge the next morning to arrange for a self-guided tour of Seould was welcomed by a desk staff who was willing to do all he can to please me. I informed him of few places I wanted to visit in the few hours I had and he even added few of his own. He even suggested an out-of-the-way restaurant to get the feel of the town before I continued on in the afternoon.
When I returned that afternoon and stepped into the lounge, he asked how the visit had been into the town. It couldn't have been better to get the feel of the town. This was much better than the daily city tour that you can go on.
All of my previous stays, two three day stays in Oct. 2000 (month after they opened) and another three day stay in Oct. 2003, were as good as this one but this one was better with the help of the concierge staff. All you need to do is ask! All of the first three stays were in a room facing the south side of the city, so I asked for the north view for the one night stay before my departure and they came through.
Of course, this is in addition to all of the other benefits like the pool, spa and workout area that was maintained in a tip-top condition.
If anyone is thinking about choosing from three of the Marriott properties, I would highly recommend the full Marriott.

HJ

Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:19 pm

Need information on JW Marriott in Seoul

The search function is off, so sorry if the information was posted before. I am going to have a long term stay at this hotel. Want to get some information from those of you have stayed there.

1. Is it close to subway station? I called the hotel, they said it is 2-3 minute walk to the Express Bus Terminal station, is it correct?
2. How is the food offered in the lounge, breakfast and evening snacks?
3. What kind of upgrade can I expect as a Platinum member?
4. How much do they charge for internet connection?

Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:21 pm

Any particular reason this was posted in the HHonors forum?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:33 pm

Sorry, please move

Sorry, supposed to post on Marriott board. Please ignore the post.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:20 pm

JW Marriott Seoul Airport Transfers

Anybody have any experience with this?
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
What would you like to know?

The airport bus terminal is adjacent to the hotel and accessible without going outside.

When you land an Incheon, there are frequent direct buses to the hotel. When you leave, you can buy a ticket from the hotel and have a bellman guide you with luggage to the bus departure area...less than 5 minutes on foot.

Ease of airport transfers is definitely one of the benefits of staying at this hotel.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 12:28 am

Should have made it clearer -- no buses for me.

I was referring to limo transfers: how much they cost, what cars the Marriott uses, etc.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott rewards, SPG
Originally Posted by hairpeace
Should have made it clearer -- no buses for me.

I was referring to limo transfers: how much they cost, what cars the Marriott uses, etc.
you can contact the hotel directly and it depends on how busy they are. you can also catch any of the black taxi cabs with the yellow/orangish lights on them. these are the premium taxi cabs and they're usually quite comfortable. the cost will be close to $60~80 if i remember right.

the marriott used korean luxury cars last time we stayed there (opirus or ecuus) to pick us up. i can't remember the cost but i would guess closer to the $150 range...

the bus is a limo style (2 seats on driver's side and 1 seat on the pass side) and is quite comfortable. the bus stops at 2 locations at arrivals and will take you to the lobby of the hotel directly (there's just one quick stop right before the hotel) and only takes about an hour if there's not traffic... also, the cost is only 13,000won which is about $14~15 usd...
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:00 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
you can contact the hotel directly and it depends on how busy they are. you can also catch any of the black taxi cabs with the yellow/orangish lights on them. these are the premium taxi cabs and they're usually quite comfortable. the cost will be close to $60~80 if i remember right.

the marriott used korean luxury cars last time we stayed there (opirus or ecuus) to pick us up. i can't remember the cost but i would guess closer to the $150 range...

the bus is a limo style (2 seats on driver's side and 1 seat on the pass side) and is quite comfortable. the bus stops at 2 locations at arrivals and will take you to the lobby of the hotel directly (there's just one quick stop right before the hotel) and only takes about an hour if there's not traffic... also, the cost is only 13,000won which is about $14~15 usd...
At current exchange rates, I'm pretty sure the taxis will be closer to the $80, if not higher. I haven't taken a hotel car from the JW, but the Ritz Carlton hotel cars aren't significantly more comfortable than the luxury taxis and they charge quite a premium. If I were going to take a car, I would certainly opt for the black taxi over a hotel car.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
jtrader is right... the black taxis are nice. However, I would really emphasize that the buses are a really, really good option. They are fairly luxe and very comfortable. I use them when I go to Korea.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Taxi/TV

Be extra careful of the taxi drivers that are watching live TV while they drive you to the hotel. This happened to me and my co-worker; the driver was on his cell phone, watching TV, and trying to speak to us in broken English. The bus ride back from the hotel to the airport was a much better and safer option.

ZakkW

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.