Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I have always had a positive experience to date at this property up to my last trip. I have never been upgraded as a Plat beyond a "Club Room" which I assume is a normal room with the automatic entitlement to Lounge I get as a Plat anyway.

I last stayed here almost a month ago and as my stay coincided with an important Rugby World Cup fixture I took up the offer of a suite upgrade for 100++ in the pre arrival email, so that I would be able to watch the Rugby in comfort in a living room rather than waking up the Mrs early with TV noise. As part of this deal I should have received 2000 bonus SPG points.
Was your original room paid with points or cash and points, or a normal paid rate? I'm almost always upgraded to the suite you describe as Platinum. But I always book on a corporate rate.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
Was your original room paid with points or cash and points, or a normal paid rate? I'm almost always upgraded to the suite you describe as Platinum. But I always book on a corporate rate.
Paid booking, paid upgrade. I switched from a corporate rate booking to a prepaid booking a few days prior to arrival (it was circa 20 euros cheaper IIRC) and agreed the upgrade after I made that switch.

I have never had anything beyond a standard room on previous stays so wasn't expecting a better room this time.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
I am staying there for a night this weekend...I have heard good things and glad it connects to the airport and train station.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
To follow-up on my own post, stayed there on Friday night. Got upgraded to an airport facing room (small for a suite, but nice bed, plenty of room, modern bathroom. Room was very clean and nice. Bar and restaurants were good (just had a drink, but they were busy and spirited). Extremely convenient to the trains to Central Station.

If I need to do another AMS overnight, i will do this over staying in City Centre. It's too easy to take the train, and I like the dependability of being so close to airport in morning.

Only downside was the hallway on floor 6 smelled musty...but rooms and lobby / atrium floor were fine.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Well this time I booked cash and points and sure enough I didn't get a suite, but a normal Club room. The hotel didn't seem very full, but there were a bunch of Qatar pilots in the club room, and from the talk I guess one of their birds had some serious mechanical issues that required a visit from Boeing engineers.

The Club and hotel in general are just fine as always. ^
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:15 am

Stayed in a 2 bed club room right next to the club lounge. The stay was great, the only downside is the shower. The water never got that hot, the floor of the shower tends to flood (not sure if that is room specific), and when you turn on the shower there is no way to not get sprayed with water.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
In my 3 years of staying at this hotel on a mix of Corporate, Points+Cash and award rates, I have never been upgraded to a Suite as Platinum. Until yesterday's stay. Which now I wondered if it was worth my complaint over the months... the room seriously lacked personality and colour !

Has anybody else found the rooms to be very cold too?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
In my 3 years of staying at this hotel on a mix of Corporate, Points+Cash and award rates, I have never been upgraded to a Suite as Platinum. Until yesterday's stay. Which now I wondered if it was worth my complaint over the months... the room seriously lacked personality and colour !

I would agree re: the suites I have had one for my last 3 stays and whilst they are pleasant enough the layout is quite unusual. I think they probably work best if you need to hold a meeting as they have a decent size dining/conference table.

I have always found the regular rooms to be relatively spacious it is just a shame with all the space in play that they don't organise the layout so that a sofa can fit into the room.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the room seriously lacked personality and colour !

Since I have stayed many times in these suites, and had many experiences, I think they do have a personality. But yes they can get cold in the winter. The bedding is excellent and will keep you warm. Also, at this hotel I usually throw on a robe and go down for a steam before bed time. I highly recommend it. ^
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

I'm on such a great streak of suite upgrades that it will be hard to go back to a regular room

Do you mean cold as in the decor/feeling? They recently updated the decor and while it's more contemporary (and was badly needed), the color palette is very black/white/grey. As a corporate hotel I think it works, but adding something with a splash of color would be a nice touch.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, cold as in temperature !

I'd take a regular room instead ...

But does anyone think that this hotel is overrated as a Cat 5? As I'm not on company expenses, I think even a C+P stay is high.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Feb 20, 2012 at 1:21 am
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But does anyone think that this hotel is overrated as a Cat 5? As I'm not on company expenses, I think even a C+P stay is high.
Location, location, location. The Sheraton CDG is Cat 5 for the same 3 reasons.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
No, cold as in temperature !

I'd take a regular room instead ...

The property has one of the highest average rates for a Sheraton in all of Europe.

So based on the SPG criteria a clear no, based on the quality offered, it is probably a solid Cat.4 and would be a great C+P value at 4000 + $ 60.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FD1971
The property has one of the highest average rates for a Sheraton in all of Europe.

So based on the SPG criteria a clear no, based on the quality offered, it is probably a solid Cat.4 and would be a great C+P value at 4000 + $ 60.
Yeah, but they're asking for 4800 + $90 !
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
yeah 4800 + $90 is a lot. that's a good $250 value over there for C+P which is high. i'd rather stay at the pulitzer...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.