Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I stay here regularly and it's still a great choice for platinum members. I almost always get a huge suite upgrade and if I don't it's because they are sold out.

The train costs €3.80 each way. If you have coins handy, you can buy the ticket at the machine and avoid the lines.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I really like the design of the new club lounge.... reminds me of the KLM schengen lounge design. If you're in for a quick coffee & pastry you can sit at the long high table with stools rather than take up a full table. Great views of the airport from the lounge too.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/Million Miler, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold
I stay there about once a month, and am consistently upgraded to a nice (and very large, even if somewhat uniquely shaped) suite, without even having to ask.
Lounge is nice enough, with very attentive service. Use it for breakfast as well as evening drinks / snacks. Train to Amsterdam is Euro 6.60 roundtrip, and is very convenient.
Rates tend to get high during the week, but are very competitive Fri-Sat.
Hotel is much better than the adjacent Hilton.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Lounge Access with SPG Gold

I'm due to stay at the Sheraton Schiphol tomorrow. Anyone know if you can get lounge access as an SPG Gold member if you are not staying in a Club room? (I know some places vary the rules...)

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
As a somewhat tardy reply to this I did manage to get access to the lounge, but only because they upgraded me to a Club Room.

FWIW, I've stayed at this hotel quite a lot recently and the service does vary considerably. I waited some 10 minutes to check in a few days ago, with no queue and only one member of staff on duty at checkin. When I eventually did get called over by someone else, there was no apology and it was all very perfunctory. On the other hand a couple of weeks ago at checking they noticed it was my birthday and upgraded me to a suite! I've had about a 60% upgrade rate out of about 10 stay here recently.

The lounge is okay, mediocre selection of evening snacks, but they're pretty much all gobbled up by 6.45pm, and there's little refershing that goes on. The dirnks and other tdbits are constantly replenished.

But for the rates for rooms in this hotel in general, it should put on a better show.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 1:16 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by mccorry
FWIW, I've stayed at this hotel quite a lot recently and the service does vary considerably. I waited some 10 minutes to check in a few days ago, with no queue and only one member of staff on duty at checkin. When I eventually did get called over by someone else, there was no apology and it was all very perfunctory.
Yes really dislike service here at the frontdesk. If it wasn't for location I wouldn't stay here. Typical Dutch service atittude. Just because we are all equal does not mean you cannot provide excellent service.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:51 pm

"mercy" upgrade to club level as gold

stayed overnight here last weekend on points, while laying over for a flight the next am. was originally booked in the 5th floor (of 8). as spg gold, took a shot in the dark and asked gal at front desk if there were any suites available. though there were, she said they are only available for plats, not golds, and that it would cost me $$$ if i wanted one.

asked about upgrade to club level (floors 7 and 8). again, she said that this upgrade is not available to golds. however, "because of my long flight ahead (back to usa) the next day, she'd make an exception this time." i was booked in a queen bed (only room type available with points), and asked for a king. she said a king would be extra $$$, so i declined. she gave me a room on 8th floor, with a nice view overlooking the tarmac.

complimentary amenities included 2 bottles of water, a tin of dutch biscuits, and tea bags/coffee, etc. basically anything NOT in the minibar was free.
club level lounge was nice, with the usual amenities. internet available there but had to pay. internet also available downstairs next to the lobby for free.

i guess you have to be platinum to "deserve" any meaningful upgrades here. but, like everyone else, i stayed there only for the convenience.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I remember there being a little gift for Plats when I stayed there last in addition to my 500 points (it was like a salt/pepper shaker that looked like fake-Delft). Do they still do that? My room rate is $200+, is free wifi included on club level? or is there any way to get a lower rate (do they offer discounts closer to date of arrival if hotel has lots of room?)
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I remember there being a little gift for Plats when I stayed there last in addition to my 500 points (it was like a salt/pepper shaker that looked like fake-Delft). Do they still do that? My room rate is $200+, is free wifi included on club level? or is there any way to get a lower rate (do they offer discounts closer to date of arrival if hotel has lots of room?)
No extras on a recent stay. Internet was $$$ no matter the room type or level, but they had an hour option. TheLink offers free 30 mins, but you have to use their computer.

Club lounge is recently remodeled, very decent breakfast & cappuccino machine too.

With the CitizenM open across the street, I would think the Sheraton would be competitive, but they still seem to charge a nice premium to be literally connected to Schiphol.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I hope this is not a FTer but I though it was just to funny to not post here.

I had planned a two-day stay at this property. I arrived at check-in at 13:00. As a Platinum member I was told that because I was checking in early my upgraded, larger room was not ready and that I would be upgraded to a room on the executive floor. I was unable to wait for the larger room and accepted the upgrade to a standard room on the executive floor. The size was very small. I asked the front desk to cancel my reservation. They were kind enough to cancel my check -in and cancel my reservation and I took a room at the Dorint Hotel. It required a shuttle ride but I was given a much larger room for a significantly more moderate rate. I am a Starwood Platinum member and would have preferred to stay at the Starwood property. The points received for a two night stay were not sufficient reason for me to spend two nights in such a small room.
The staff was kind but the product most standard.
So this guy canceled his res. because he wasn't upgraded...
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as this was bumped, I can report from a recent stay that they now have video checkout terminals in the lobby. Which is a good thing as it can sometimes take a long time to check out at this hotel and they don't staff the Club room like they used to. It's even closed on weekend nights now, but they will give Plats some drink coupons for one of the bars. The main bar was closed too this weekend. Times is tough.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Are they doing anything for Plats for breakfast on Sundays? I am planning to be there in November on a Saturday night.

Originally Posted by stimpy
As long as this was bumped, I can report from a recent stay that they now have video checkout terminals in the lobby. Which is a good thing as it can sometimes take a long time to check out at this hotel and they don't staff the Club room like they used to. It's even closed on weekend nights now, but they will give Plats some drink coupons for one of the bars. The main bar was closed too this weekend. Times is tough.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jnswinnipeg
Are they doing anything for Plats for breakfast on Sundays? I am planning to be there in November on a Saturday night.
The Club room is open for breakfast on weekends, but not in the evening.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Did not have breakfast in the Lounge as attendant advised that THE MORE EXTENSIVE BREAKFAST BUFFET DOWNSTAIRS IN THE RESTAURANT WAS AFVAILABLE GRATIS TO ALL MEMBERS WHO STAY ON CLUB FLOORS.
As this comment is two years old..... is this still the practice ?

I will staying in a Club room in Nov.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The rules surrounding the club have changed about 18 times over the last two years, so who knows? I would ask at check in. They seem more open to special requests these days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.