Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
So possibly looking to stay here for 3 nights early July. Wanted a Starwood hotel in Amsterdam but the Pulitzer is leaving on 4/1 (which would have been my first choice). I know airport access is easy but am wondering how access to downtown is? I have stayed at airport hotels before that had easy access to trains/trams/metros and am wondering if this is the same? My other option would be the Hilton Amsterdam.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sierranevada
So possibly looking to stay here for 3 nights early July. Wanted a Starwood hotel in Amsterdam but the Pulitzer is leaving on 4/1 (which would have been my first choice). I know airport access is easy but am wondering how access to downtown is? I have stayed at airport hotels before that had easy access to trains/trams/metros and am wondering if this is the same? My other option would be the Hilton Amsterdam.
The Sheraton AMS is great and easily connected to Centraal Station. Much better connected I think than any other airport hotel I can think of. The station at the airport is less than 5 mins walk undercover from the hotel.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes it is fine and easy to access the city center. And there are other options if you want to go to other parts of the city.

As for the Hilton, it is a longer walk and a bit of a tired property. Hilton plans to renovate the hotel this year if I remember correctly. But I stayed there once last year when the Sheraton rates were super high and had no problems.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:08 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Had a really bad stay at this hotel late last year. Was assigned the room sandwiched between the club and the service entries - constant noise was overwhelming. The real kicker is that sharing the wall with the club almost meant the wall contained the even noisier door mechanism.

Won't go overboard with the histrionics but for the first in a SPG property I actually felt offended to be pre-assigned a room that should really only be given out at a 100% capacity situation.

One morning they had some special breakfast in the lead up to Christmas and put out a red carpet and some barricades - so my room was literally roped off from the rest of the hotel - maybe the hotel was trying to tell me something.

Very trivial - but being geared for mostly one night stays - I didn't get one of my green choice vouchers. Raised it at checkout and (in a very polite manner) basically accused of lying "are you sure you didn't use it at the restaurant and forgot?"

Short story - if you get room 827 don't bother going up just ask for another room
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wow, I've never thought about that room. I've had the next room over, away from the Club and had no issues. In fact I like the convenience to the Club. But if they ever give me 827 I'll ask for another!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, LT Marriott Plat
I got a stay there next weekend, 3 rooms. Hows the chance of getting a second room to club level as upgrade? Any experiences there?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
I stayed here for a night last month. Overall, it was a nice enough stay with no major complaints. My room was nice and clean (although i don't think I was upgraded as SGP Gold).

My only complaint is the lack of signage to show where this hotel is located. I had one of those bad travel mornings where I had to come here from another city (Den Haag) and left my hotel there (Des Indes) with plenty of time to make it to this hotel and then the city for a tour. I gave myself 3 hours which would have easily included an hour in the hotel to relax.

Due to some incorrect directions online, I ended up on a train going the wrong direction so I had to get off and head back (return train wait was 30 minutes) to Den Haag. By the time I got to the airport, I was tight on time.

I could not see where the heck this hotel is located though. I went to an information desk and they said "it's one level up" and pointed. I went one level up to departures and I can now see the hotel but can't see any way to get there and the info desk there said "go downstairs"...

I eventually ran outside to the taxi area, crossed some streets, and found the hotel. Too bad I was at the lower ground level and the doors were all locked. I had to call upstairs to get them to open the doors (you can use a room key to open the doors I think). This was at around 9am.

Later I found the actual entrance which is a ramp at the train station area. There is a sign over there that points to the hotel. I did not see any other signs showing how to get to this hotel in departures, arrivals, baggage claim, etc.

Of course I got off the train 30 minutes prior so I was right there and would have been fine time wise had I seen the sign then but oh well...

I ended up racing to the city in a cab rather than train to make my tour.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Agreed the signage to the Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel is not great from within the airport itself.

We had a good stay here early this month (two nights) as a long layover from Seattle, en route to Munich. It's very easy to miss not only the signage to the hotel from the Schipol airport lobby (and I knew it was connected by a skybridge), but it's easy to walk past the hotel itself when you're on the skybridge, as the same moving walkway/skybridge also takes you the airport's parking structure. (The hotel is on the left shortly after you leave the moving walkway.)

However, the rooms are modern and stylish (a huge cut above most U.S. Sheratons, where the Sheraton brand doesn't seem to mean as much; this Sheraton is more like a U.S. Westin in terms of style). And they're quiet. We had a 7th floor room that was completely outside of the enclosed atrium area, facing slightly inward (due to the shape of the hotel), and the airport noise was a non-issue.

No coffee makers in the room, but we requested one. It was complimentary, and sent up promptly.

The Club Lounge on the 8th floor has a good selection of both breakfast items and evening snacks, and definitely has a business vibe to it (the Sheraton also has a conference center on the bottom floor).

For those considering this hotel for a leisure trip to Amsterdam, it's very convenient. We had been booked into the Hotel Pulitzer originally, before it left SPG, and switched to the Sheraton. Trains from Schipol to Amsterdam Central (a few steps away from the hotel entrance, without having to go outside due to the enclosed walkway) run 4-6x per hour, are clearly marked, generally run from the same track each time (track 3, IIRC), and arrive in 10-15 minutes. Same on the return.

Best ticketing option for trains and Amsterdam trams and other transit for multi-day visits is the Amsterdam Travel Ticket. For 25 Euros, it includes unlimited travel over three days between Schipol and Amsterdam train stations, as well as all Amsterdam mass transit. It's sold at the I Am Amsterdam/TI office at Schipol airport and other locations. And it has a handy transit map. Recommended highly.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Any reviews of the fitness centre here? Thinking of getting a daypass for a 4hour stopover.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Melodsal
Any reviews of the fitness centre here? Thinking of getting a daypass for a 4hour stopover.
Pretty large facility with equipment which is roughly 5 years old on average, so we are talking about the second to last generation of the usual supplier.

The TV channels are limited to 7 or 8, most of them in Dutch, so bring your own entertainment for your workout. The reception tends to be poor on most machines.

Fairly large dressing room with dozens of lockers, several showers plus a sauna and steam bath and a relaxation corner with several loungers.

In case my layover is longer than 120 minutes, I usually work out at the Sheraton, it is highly recommended. ^
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Here at the moment. I rather like it. It looks a bit like a Sheraton, but somehow does it while looking rather attractive.

I was upgraded to a full suite with 2 bathrooms overlooking Schiphol airport which coincidentally is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking to rent at home at the moment.

I had some chocolates and a bottle of red wine waiting for me, which is a first for me with SPG apart from in (real) luxury hotels.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Our family finished a great stay here over the Easter break. We spent five nights here and found it perfect for exploring Amsterdam and the area. It is hard to overstate the convenience of the location: connected to the airport, a large shopping centre, and transit to everywhere. We arrived in the Netherlands via plane, followed by a very short walk to the hotel, then left via train, also from a short walk from the hotel. For us, it was a perfect base for our first visit to the city and for local day trips.

The Club lounge has terrific attendants, who can help with any detail of your stay. When we first arrived and stopped in for a quick snack, the attendant asked about our rooms and I mentioned the missing third bed in the connecting room...and it was there by the time we returned. The lounge has a solid breakfast and a simple offering in the evening. The only downside to the lounge is that it isn't open 24 hours.

The fact that the hotel participates on FT was also a help, as we received some great recommendations and help in advance.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Had a very brief stay here recently for a meeting - very good treatment as a platinum.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
Nice Layover Location

I had a short one night stay at the Sheraton AMS on a layover. I booked on points and was upgraded to a 1 bedroom (1.5 bath) suite which was a nice surprise. The hotel is easily accessed from the train station level of AMS (take escalator up, across roadway towards P1 parking level). It was a traditional Sheraton with a good bed and a quiet room. The lounge was decent with full breakfast (2-3 hot items as well as full selection of breads, meats, cheeses, etc.) Instead of mini-bars there was an interesting vending machine located near the elevators where you could swipe your room card to purchase items such as snacks, soda, beer , wine, etc. (anything you’d find in a mini-bar). This area also included other conveniences like an ice machine, coffee stations, etc. It was a quick walk under covered space to reach the check in area. Overall it was the perfect place for a short layover at AMS, Id be happy to return again.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

Be aware that the hotel is undergoing refurbishment starting in a few days.

"Refurbishment: July 11 - August 29, 2016

From July 11 through August 29, 2016, the hotel will be undergoing refurbishment and remodeling. During this time, the following closures will take place:

Club Lounge will be relocated to another area of the hotel"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.