Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

New Traveller Considering Starwood vs. Marriot

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 5:19 pm
RPB
Original Poster

Hi There,

I'll be travelling for work over the next 6 months (haven't historically done so) and thus staying at hotels for about 20-25 nights, each an individual stay. I'd like to build loyalty with 1 brand and there are Marriott and Starwood properties in the area I'm headed. There's also Hilton properties but I don't find them particularly appealing.

Question: Do you have any advice on choosing between Marriott and Starwood for their rewards programs? Everything I've read online seems to say Marriott is more generous than Starwood.

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
As someone who is Plat with both marriott and SPG, id have to vote SPG hands down as you can get Gold status with 25 nights, and you will only hit silver with Marriott. SPG has partnership with Uber which I love and easier to reach out to if issues.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:59 pm
RPB
Original Poster

Thanks nli007! That's really helpful and I'm going to go with your advice. Much appreciated
Old May 3, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I am top tier at both.

Some questions to ask.
What are the goals of your brand loyalty? Upgrades? Better treatment? Club access? Free nights?

What is your range of hotels? high end? middle on the road? budget?

What are you looking for out of a hotel? Selection? Price?

SPG is a better program in that you can get status quicker, also by stays. Marriott is nights only.

If you are cashing in points for free nights, SPG has better availability typically but Marriott has more choices. SPG is better typically for international reward travel.

Both have decent branded credit cards, but SPG's adds up quicker.

Marriott has a wider range of hotel brands, offering more choices. SPG has less lower end properties and the ones that have can be awful.

What cities are you going to be traveling to? If the stays rather than the rewards are more important, people could give advice more specifically if we know the location.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Rewards Plus and Crossover Rewards

If you are United Premier Gold or higher, Rewards Plus will automatically provide Marriott Gold status.

If you are Delta Platinum Medallion or higher, enjoy 4pm late checkout, access to the SPG elite check-in line, complimentary in-room Internet access, and upgrades to enhanced rooms at check-in. Medallion members will also earn one bonus mile for every dollar spent on eligible room rates.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Silver is nothing on Marriott and Gold requires 50 night's, which the OP won't get.

OTOH OP might get to PlatMinus with SPG at 25 stays and otherwise will get SPG Gold, although one can essentially get these benefits with AAA membership.

IMO:

SPG PlatMinus > Marriott PP = Marriott Plat = Marriott Gold >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Marriott Silver

SPG Gold >>>>>>> Marriott Silver
Old May 4, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I have found Starwood gold to be not really worth attaining as well. My advice would be to enroll in a Platinum challenge in either of the 2 programs. You may need to show some stay history first.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
If you are cashing in points for free nights, SPG has better availability typically but Marriott has more choices. SPG is better typically for international reward travel.
Those are imprtant points. There are many places where Starwood has nothing. If one travels to a broad range of destinations he's going to need a backup. IMHO top tier at Marriott beats gold at SPG + nothing at the backup.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
for 20-25 nights that you're doing, you get silver at marriott and gold at SPG. Gold at SPG is a LOT better than silver at marriott. It's a no brainer
Old May 4, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Those are imprtant points. There are many places where Starwood has nothing. If one travels to a broad range of destinations he's going to need a backup. IMHO top tier at Marriott beats gold at SPG + nothing at the backup.
As I see it, Marriott Platinum, which is the top PUBLISHED tier at 75 nights, is worth lounge access/breakfast in non resorts in the USA (with a couple exceptions like Philadelphia) and the "privilege" of begging for a slightly late checkout and/or minor upgrade if the hotel is feeling generous. SPG Gold (at 10 stays or 25 nights) guarantees late checkout and leads to enhanced rooms, sometimes upgrades. I'm not a big breakfast eater most of the time, so I'll give SPG the win.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Apart from loyalty, I find Marriott's to be systematically better in the west coast than a comparative Sheraton or Westin.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I have found Starwood gold to be not really worth attaining as well. My advice would be to enroll in a Platinum challenge in either of the 2 programs. You may need to show some stay history first.
This. The SPG plat challenge is open to anyone and requires 18 nights. Enjoy your last 7 nights with SPG Plat status.

I have a personal beef with Marriott and try to avoid them at all costs, but when I do stay there they are certainly decent enough.

As others have said, SPG's weakness is that they simply dont have a presence in some places. Luckily that hasn't been a factor in most of my travels, and I maintain Hilton Gold as a good backup (IMO HH Gold is the best mid-tier status).
Old May 4, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
He did mention individual stays, which would then be PLT with SPG if he hits 25. He could get the CC and 2 stay / 5 night bonus to shore up missing stays.

Also, long-term - will this trend continue through to the next couple years? What are his flying patterns? He can cover both if flies enough UA to get to Marriott Gold
Old May 4, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Delta has the points exchange with SPG too. You get to double dip essentially.
Money spent at either gets points for the other.
Buy a $500 ticket on Delta, get 500 Starwood points.
Spend $500 on a room at a Starwood, get 500 DL Skymiles.

SPG is better at redemption IMO. I do like the late checkout option.
Premium lounges tend to be better at Marriott.

It really just depends what he wants out of it all.

If SPG had more and a wider ranges of properties, I would think it would be a no brainer to go with SPG. But that is just not always the case.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Delta has the points exchange with SPG too. You get to double dip essentially.
Money spent at either gets points for the other.
Buy a $500 ticket on Delta, get 500 Starwood points.
Spend $500 on a room at a Starwood, get 500 DL Skymiles.

SPG is better at redemption IMO. I do like the late checkout option.
Premium lounges tend to be better at Marriott.

It really just depends what he wants out of it all.

If SPG had more and a wider ranges of properties, I would think it would be a no brainer to go with SPG. But that is just not always the case.
This is the crossover program between DL and SPG. IIRC the benefits you mention require high tier status in both directions. Others with high status only one way get either upgrades after everyone else on DL or some minor benefits during a Starwood stay. It's pretty complicated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.