Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Select Member Exclusive Email offer [Targeted], 30 April 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Select Member Exclusive Email offer [Targeted], 30 April 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I got nothing. Have a stay worth several thousand booked at the W Barcelona and asked my ambassador if there is any promo. Nope.
Old May 3, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Not eligible for this promo.
Old May 3, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I can't believe *Wood is not offering any promo to it's best customers (i.e., Plats). Why a chain would ignore us is beyond me and has already resulted in 35 nights being shifted to Hilton (in my case). I'm actually starting to get used to their product and benefits. SPG you are playing with fire and over a modest amount of points risk losing and alienating your best customers.
And that's where they got us, by our tail!
Old May 3, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Flews
As usual, some people think promos are a reward for loyalty. They aren't. The opposite, in fact.

Promos are incentives to increase sales. Targeted promos target individuals to encourage them to stay more often. Promos have nothing to do with rewarding loyalty. They have everything to do with heads in beds.

For every person who threatens to walk because the promo doesn't include them, promos deliver countless other sales that more than offset any out-of-joint noses.

Cheers,
I agree with you Flews... and thats why I'm shocked I (and other high staying Plats are excluded). I have ~35 nights where I could've chosen *Wood to date had they included me in these promos. They want heads in beds? I've got a head and nights to spare. But because they exclude us - I spend those nights in other properties.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Exactly, you can actually do better if you are less loyal. The theory with these targeted promos is they drive extra revenue without added cost for those customers already "locked in". But with social media these days you may end up chasing a good few of those hooked customers away when they realize they aren't getting as much as less loyal folks. And unless we do that, we are playing into that strategy. I plan to not stay at any Starwood property until I get a targeted promo!
This is more what I believe they are doing - they want NEW people rather than to incentivize those of us who are already loyal. I can understand that. Still, I don't see why they wouldn't want to also incentivize their most loyal to stay more.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Our company moved all of our business to starwood in Jan 2014, and I personally only stayed 51 nights last year. This is the kind of treatment we expected from Hilton, not Starwood. Not feeling valued is going to get us to move to the next chain
Old May 3, 2015, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Our company moved all of our business to starwood in Jan 2014, and I personally only stayed 51 nights last year. This is the kind of treatment we expected from Hilton, not Starwood. Not feeling valued is going to get us to move to the next chain
Are you a decision-maker for your company? The reason I ask is because I would think the company would be looking at negotiating the best rates & benefits for the whole year, not just waiting for promos. At least that's the way I've always done it when I was the accommodations decision-maker.

Cheers,
Old May 3, 2015, 2:47 pm

I'm a Platinum 75 and my promo was "stay with Hyatt instead and earn Hyatt Diamond status for next year"
Old May 3, 2015, 3:56 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Maddening.

I personally did not qualify as a mild SPG Gold with 5 stays / 9 nights YTD.

My wife, whom has not had a qualifying stay (but lots of Amex spend) since August 21, 2014, was selected for the Stay 4, get 3 award. She's regularly an SPG Gold through Amex qualifying spend.

The strategy is now to set up an SPG account for your wife or significant other, then get the stays credited there, when and as required.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
This is more what I believe they are doing - they want NEW people rather than to incentivize those of us who are already loyal. I can understand that. Still, I don't see why they wouldn't want to also incentivize their most loyal to stay more.
I don't get it. Persons who are loyal are ALREADY incentivized to continue using Starwood, are they not? You get suite upgrades on most visits, extra starpoints on all visits, and other bennies.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
If you look at the previous thread, you will see that all kinds of "loyal" members were getting targeted. As I've mentioned before, I don't resent promos to draw new people in. I don't resent promos that don't work for me because they require 2, 3, 4 consecutive nights or whatever. I resent promos where I am not even allowed to participate but others at my level are.
Old May 3, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
But why? Are you getting anything less than what was promised to you?
Old May 3, 2015, 9:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I was offered a Stay 3 time to receive 7,500 points. It suggested I haven't stayed at their properties for a while and that they would like to see me back. I have had only 2 stays / 9 nights YTD and am a current base member. I will meet the promotion, and as well qualify for Platinum this year and might make it to Lifetime Gold in the process too
Old May 3, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I currently have a booking of 3 rooms in July. Does this constitute as 3 stays for this promo? Or I have to do 3 separate stay at different time?

T&C only mentioned eligible paid stay which I suppose booking 3 rooms should get the bonus points for this promo as well.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by dml105
I don't get it. Persons who are loyal are ALREADY incentivized to continue using Starwood, are they not? You get suite upgrades on most visits, extra starpoints on all visits, and other bennies.
Originally Posted by dml105
But why? Are you getting anything less than what was promised to you?
It's not that we're getting less than promised. It's that I am one of the top 1% customers for SPG. And yet others are getting all sorts of extras above and beyond what I am receiving.

To your other point - yes, I also get suite upgrades, etc. But so do Plats who just achieve 50 nights. I stay well above them and while they get promos to get to my level I get nothing beyond this for all my extra stays. Due to this I shift stay patterns, as I also get suite upgrades and all other bennies at other chains for achieving status with them.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
not eligible here as well....

i have lots of nights booked with spg over the next couple of months....would have been nice to get some extra points....ah well, not the end of the world....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.