Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2002, 10:10 am

Programs: KLM Platinum, BA Gold, ex-HHonors Diamond, Starwood SPG Gold (ex-Platinum), StarChoice
Nightlife nearby: try the classic but a bit touristy Leidseplein or Rembrantplein for resturants ans bars (both within walking distance or a cheap taxi ride away).
Old Jun 18, 2002, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, 1MM; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
Sheraton Amsterdam Pulitzer - More than 2 adults?

I'll be visiting Amsterdam for two nights in June and want to try the Hotel Pulitzer. On the SPG website it looks like a maximum of two adults per room are allowed.

Does anyone know how "strict" the Pulitzer, or European hotels in general, are with this rule?

My only other option right now seems to be the Amsterdam Marriott (which I could actually get an Exec level room for about 10USD per night cheaper). But the SPG points are too good to pass up!

Thanks,
WNLuvr
Old Jun 18, 2002, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Your room may not have the physical room for 3 people even if you wanted. My "upgraded" room there did not have room for 3. 2 would have been "plenty" for that room, although it was very nice.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 12:01 am
Suspended

i love the pulitzer (it's one of my favorite properties) but the rooms are tight. i couldn't imagine three people staying in my upgraded room (i am platinum). i think there is only one or two suites and i have never scored one of them. but, they lavish fruit and wine on you as the amenity.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At a recent stay here, we had an fairly large upgraded "Executive" room that easily would have accomodated a roll-away.

Got the wine, fruit, chocolates and free welcome cocktail at the bar.

Had many problems here however, mostly with the staff.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Had a quite decent sized room. That hotel is one of the TRULY unique hotels of the world if you have not seen it. From the outside a row of 25 original and typical canal houses, with a boat stop out front!

I was in AMS a few times in recent weeks - if you have not booked check these sites perhaps:

http://www.1st-hotels-amsterdam.com/

http://www.hotelsinholland.com/

http://www.bookings.nl/cgi-bin/searchresults.pl

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 06-19-2002).]
Old Jun 19, 2002, 6:57 am

On the top floor of the Pulitzer, there are rooms that can accommodate more than 2 people. In these rooms, the bed is in the loft; the bathroom and living room are downstairs. In the living room, there is a sofabed. Hope this answers your question.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 9:55 am

Thanks everyone for all your comments...

The Pulitzer looks like such a unique hotel, but as a lowly SPG Gold I think my chances of being upgraded to a room suitable for 3 are slim to none.

Now the real tradeoff...forget the third person, or settle for the Marriott. Looks like this time around it's going to be the Marriott.

But I'll have to check out the Pulitzer's restaurants to see what they have to cure the late night AMS "munchies"!

Thanks,
WNLuvr
Old Jun 19, 2002, 10:22 am

WNLuvr, the room type I mentioned earlier is NOT an upgrade. I suggest that you call SPG and ask. I stayed in one of those rooms last year and if the hotel does not allow more than 2 guests per room, then I don't understand why my room had a sofabed!
Old Jun 19, 2002, 10:23 am
Gui

Just returned from AMS. If you do in fact stay at the Marriott, check out the Indonesian Restaurant just a few steps to the left over the bridge. I thought it was very good.

Old Jun 19, 2002, 11:27 pm

I went ahead and booked the Pulitzer for two nights. Took the Executive room, described online somewhat vaguely as "spacious" in hopes it will fit 3 adults. Rate of 330euro per night...

Tried the Amex buy one/get one free night promo, and the room actually came out to nearly 900euro for two nights...a hefty 240euro more than the rate I'm paying.

I'll cross my fingers to see just what they mean by "spacious".
Old Jun 20, 2002, 5:27 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
WN

You might want to recheck the res page as it confused me too: the rate may say 433 Euro per night for the package (Amex 2-4-1) but it's 433Eu total for two nights - I know as I've three packages for six nights bookended by my two free Fridays there later this summer. The explanation I got was the system had no other way to show it.

A lovely Ms. vanOmmeran at the Pulitzer's res office straightened it out for us - it might be worth calling her.

As such, the rate (at least that I got) comes to about 216 Euros a night for an Executive room or about USD$100/nt less than that you mentioned.

Now I want to know how one scores the loft rooms on the top floor...
Old Jun 21, 2002, 5:52 pm

I revisited the web booking page this morning, and it looks like they fixed the problem with displaying the 2-4-1 deal. There weren't any Executive rooms left, but I did snag a standard King for the equivalent of 180 Euros a night. (Yesterday's best rate was 280 Euros a night). Persistence paid off!
Old Jun 21, 2002, 9:46 pm

So..you're gonna put 3 people in a "Standard King" ?? Are you nuts????
Old Jun 22, 2002, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
IM4Travel, every one of us FTers is nuts, at least a little bit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.