Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Old Jan 4, 2003, 7:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Just returned from the Pulitzer. I liked it a lot -- had a lot of charm. I'll post pix once I get them off my camera.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 9:27 pm
Original Member

You can find pix of my fifth floor room (Room 520) at

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/rockysreviews/
Old Jan 4, 2003, 11:26 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rocky:
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/rockysreviews/</font>
I only receive the following message (after trying several times):
There was a problem accessing your account.

Please try back again in 10 minutes.
You might want to try logging out and logging back in again.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 12:22 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LH738:
Originally posted by rocky:
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/rockysreviews/</font>
I only receive the following message (after trying several times):
There was a problem accessing your account.

Please try back again in 10 minutes.
You might want to try logging out and logging back in again.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you.
Me too
Old Jan 5, 2003, 12:36 am

I saw the photos! Rocky, you have quite a collection going! ;-) It looks like you were on the top floor- did you feel claustraphobic with the pitched ceilings? Looks like a great location. Leaving for Chicago in a few more hours- no Starwood this time, trying out the Peninsula.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 5:52 am

Nice pics. The Pulitzer room -- and especially the bathroom -- seems very Amsterdam-like: that is, not at all spacious.

(And I am wondering what time of day is was when Florence streets were empty of traffic!!)
Old Jan 5, 2003, 7:12 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I was there in late Dec (28th) and as a Platinum, on a very (to them) discounted rate of 185 received 'an executive room', which was actually a duplex suite. The bedroom was quite small, as was the bath, but the living room had an open stairway up to a balcony. My room had a view of the Kaisergracht(sp) canal from the living room. I did specify I wanted a canal view when I made the reservation. I was also accomodated with a very early check in (7:30 am)--but it was during the holidays when the property was pretty empty.
My previous visit a couple of year ago (as a Gold), got me a nice, but smallish room facing the Prinzengracht (sp) canal. This hotel has a great (IMO) location, near lots of restaurants, the Jordaani-- but a bit away from the major tourist areas. A tram (#13,14?) stops nearby. Its about a 20 minute walk to Centraal Station.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 7:42 am
Original Member

Overall, I had a very pleasant stay at the hotel. I'd rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

Because central Amsterdam is so small, you can walk to it from the train station, or take the #13 or #17 tram.

At check-in, they advised that they normally upgrade platinum members to executive rooms, but because it was NYE, they were all full. Same with canal views. (She did offer that if I wanted to check back the next day, they might be able to move me.)

The doorman was quite friendly and helped me to my room. Despite taking the elevator to the fifth floor, there were still three sets of stairs we had to negotiate.

As pointed out earlier, this was the top floor in the canal house. The room itself did feel a lot more spacious than it seems in the picture. By European standards, it felt relatively spacious -- the bedroom was more spacious than the rooms at the Park Tower in London.

Gorgeous hardwood floors. And I liked the pitched ceilings.

It felt more like a nice B&B than a cookie-cutter luxury hotel. I believe someone here mentioned that the hotel is better classified in the "charming collection" ... I agree that it's quite charming, but it also felt luxurious.

The bed was very comfortable. One oddity: in most of Europe, a "king" is really two twins put together with king bedding. In this case, as near as I can tell, it was a real king, but the bedding but was split. (Two twin-size comforters.)

Platinum amenity was stroopwafels and a bottle of water.

Breakfast was included in my rate and was a buffet at Pulitzer's. Not bad, but nothing outstanding.

The concierge at the hotel left a lot to be desired. Because I was there NYE and new things might be closing early, I asked specifically about the Rembrandt house and was assured that it was open until it's usual time. It wasn't.

On the following day, the concierge was unable to help me locate a coffee shop that I had the name of.

Check out was relatively smooth.

Overall, I'd highly recommend the place.

[This message has been edited by rocky (edited 01-05-2003).]
Old Jan 5, 2003, 7:44 am
Original Member

wideman - According to the timestamp on my copy of the Florence pix, the streets were empty at 7:55 a.m. on 8/22.

Old Jan 5, 2003, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Nice photos... and great to see other properties where I'm currently holding reservations too.

Anyone... opinion on the I-C AMS vs. the Pulitzer AMS?
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:28 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by techgirl:
Anyone... opinion on the I-C AMS vs. the Pulitzer AMS?</font>
You should, in my opinion, go for the IC which is one of the best ICs out there.

Moritz
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:41 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MoritzK:
You should, in my opinion, go for the IC which is one of the best ICs out there.

Moritz
</font>
funny. i was just going to reply that i would go for the Pulitzer. it's such a distinctive/non-cookie cutter hotel. the rooms are all different and interesting. i have enjoyed every stay there. i have to admit, however, i have never stayed at the IC.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 01-06-2003).]
Old Jan 6, 2003, 9:31 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
We were treated well enough on check in this past August - enought to be assigned the Royal Suite on a 2 for 1 rate and a couple of free weekend nights for a 10 day stay. I think the paid worked out to about $150/nt.

But too many small issues like poor housekeeping, no room service post 11 PM, the self-same unhelpful concierge, unpleasantness about the inclusion of breakfast in the rate (I mean, it said "included" on the reservation confirmation and they still didn't want to honor it) and the crowd scenes in the lobby detracted from the ambiance I expected.

On price it was a deal. For location - tops. But in terms of service, luxury and concern for guest satisfaction it's a ways from 5 stars. We became friendly with the proprieters of a small but lovely cafe/bistro around the corner (as the food was better and the prices lower than at the Pulitzer) who said they'd heard the same from guests over the years - once wonderful but now coasting on it's former reputation.

Old Jan 6, 2003, 9:39 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by techgirl:
Nice photos... and great to see other properties where I'm currently holding reservations too.

Anyone... opinion on the I-C AMS vs. the Pulitzer AMS?
</font>
I haven't been to the Pulitzer yet, but had a delightful stay at the I-C in early December. Service was great, as was the French restaurant (2 star Michelin). The junior suite was quite roomy and pleasant. The area is nice, but the hotel is not close to the centre or the museums area. A very nice swimming pool and a good buffet breakfast. Overall, a very good IC.

[This message has been edited by JOUY31 (edited 01-06-2003).]
Old Jan 6, 2003, 9:47 am

One might also consider the Sofitel Grand.

It's a lovely property with excellent public areas including a wonderful courtyard/garden (where you can have breakfast or lunch), a bar that I find to be especially cozy, and an excellent restaurant (Caf Roux). In my recent stays there (since it changed to Sofitel), the service has been especially good.

The location is both its good and bad side: it's just two blocks from Dam Square, so it's close to everything, but for some maybe just a bit too close to the seedier parts of the city.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.