Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Grand Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2017:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...enovation-2197
Print Wikipost

St Regis Grand Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Yes, please let us know. I have my first St. Regis stay in early September. If the previous posts are any indication, management will hopefully respond positively. I take it the hotel was sold out, and a room change wasn't possible?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:22 am

Programs: AC*E, AA, Mar*S, SW*P, HTZ #1G, AVS Pref
update - sent an email to CCS last Friday - got the autoresponse saying will get back to me in 48 hours. still no response.

it's almost exactly like calling the St. Regis reception desk.

I'll update again if I ever have an ending
Old Aug 4, 2009, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC*E, AA, Mar*S, SW*P, HTZ #1G, AVS Pref
Finally following up:

got my response today. the email was very apologetic, offered me 10k pts (or roughly half of one night at the hotel). this made me half enthusiastic to accept.

called to discuss - the agent was not very friendly. I pointed out that a night a the hotel would cost 20k in *points, but she said she thought 10k points was a lot of points - the best she could do was 12k which was 1 night in a cat 5. In the end I just decided I didn't want to deal with it any more, so I accepted the offer of 12k.

the short: really nice hotel in Rome, not a really nice stay. I'd probably still go back - but I'd be much more thorough and careful when looking over the room when I got there. Probably would go to the Eden or the Westin next time (not sure if they're better, but probably about the same).
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
This is a bummer! I am pondering the use of points for a stay in December...yikes!

The reviews on TripAdvisor are pretty strong, please other continue to post any experiences for all our benefit! This is a Cat6 property- @ 20k pts a night, I would expect so much higher service and experience than what you experienced.

What category of room will they give me if I try and use points? I'm only a lowly Gold so I will definitely seek the kindness of the check in desk for an upgrade, but that would be a bonus I figure-
Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:10 am

I'm finishing up a stay at the St Regis, and am quite impressed. As the hotel was fully booked, the only upgrade I was able to receive was to a Deluxe room (from a Standard using Free Weekend nights) on the 4th floor. Not a bad room at all. I received a welcome letter from the manager along with a large box of fruit candy.

The breakfast buffet is 43 Euros/person, and while it has a decent spread, it's nothing impressive. You can order a la carte off the menu, which oddly enough isn't as varied as the room service menu. The eggs benedict with truffle sauce is excellent!

Internet access is 15 Euros/day. Or you can purchase a one hour pass for 4 Euros. Not bad at all.

Location is great (a couple of minutes from Repubblica metro station). I found the staff to be a bit formal, but they warmed up quickly after interacting with them a few times.

Last edited by Condition One; Sep 14, 2009 at 6:42 am
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I stayed here one night in July at the end of a 10-day trip through Italy using a Free Weekend Night when I had gold status. I was upgraded to a Deluxe King room. It was very ornate. The decoration was a bit much for me and I preferred both the Westin in Venice and the Westin in Florence. However, the room was fairly large and contained a flat screen tv, desk, chair, couch, and the bathroom had a separate tub and shower.

The concierge was somewhat disappointing. As we were only there for one night and had to catch an early flight the next morning, we wanted to find a close restaurant to grab a quick bite to eat. He tried to send us over to the Roman Forum area, which is where he said "everyone went out." We tried to explain that we had previously spent 3 nights in Rome and just wanted a quick bite to eat but he was unable to tell us anywhere near the hotel that we might try and then tried to send us to the Spanish Steps. The Spanish Steps is a very nice area, but we just wanted to grab a quick dinner without going across town. Anyway, he just didn't really meet our needs and we walked out and found a great restaurant 5 mins from the hotel.

So, overall, it was a nice stay but I personally found the decor to be too stuffy and the staff to be too formal though I see how others might enjoy these things. The hotel is very convenient for the train station, but I would stay somewhere else if you want to sight see in Rome.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by Condition One
The breakfast buffet is 43 Euros/person, and while it has a decent spread, it's nothing impressive. You can order a la carte off the menu, which oddly enough isn't as varied as the room service menu. The eggs benedict with truffle sauce is excellent!
$60 for a breakfast buffet...I don't understand why anyone would do this personally, when there are several friendly cafes right across the street where you can get a cappy, croissant and spend some time watching the locals.

Not picking on you Condition One...just that I am amazed at how so many people travel to great places in Europe and then dine like they are at a secluded island resort. In over a dozen trips to Europe, I've never had breakfast in my hotel.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by dingo
$60 for a breakfast buffet...I don't understand why anyone would do this personally, when there are several friendly cafes right across the street where you can get a cappy, croissant and spend some time watching the locals.

Not picking on you Condition One...just that I am amazed at how so many people travel to great places in Europe and then dine like they are at a secluded island resort. In over a dozen trips to Europe, I've never had breakfast in my hotel.
I've found a typical European breakfast to be along the lines of coffee and a pastry. For people (aka Americans) looking for something more substantial, that's not going to cut it.

As I run in the mornings, I'm usually looking for something heartier (but not at 43 Euros). I ordered off the menu, which was actually quite reasonable for a hotel. An omelette is 14 Euros, Eggs Benedict - 16, two eggs cooked to your preference - 10, french toast or pancakes - 10. A coffee runs 8 Euros.

Unfortunately, in general, I'm not able to find good breakfast restaurants in Europe. If you know of any in Rome, please tell me! But for lunch and dinner, you'll find me scouring town for local hangouts.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Smile Upcoming Stay and past stays

I have an upcoming stay at this hotel this weekend for three nights and have two rooms booked. I have stayed there in the past and have nothing but good things to say about the place. It is the only Starwood property I use while in Rome and I think that it is great value for money.

I will give a trip report next week when I return.

Cheers

Stephen
Old Sep 17, 2009, 6:17 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and AA Concierge Key
Originally Posted by IrishStephen
I have an upcoming stay at this hotel this weekend for three nights and have two rooms booked. I have stayed there in the past and have nothing but good things to say about the place. It is the only Starwood property I use while in Rome and I think that it is great value for money.

I will give a trip report next week when I return.

Cheers

Stephen
Sounds great. Post any recommendations for places to eat nearby the hotel too. I have a stay there coming up in October.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 6:49 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by letsgofire
Sounds great. Post any recommendations for places to eat nearby the hotel too. I have a stay there coming up in October.
There are a lot of.....BAD breakfast places near the hotel. We never found one we liked.

The breakfast buffet at the hotel is phenomenal, the best one I've had in Europe.

We had two excellent stays at this property in April. Upgraded both times, 2 rooms each time. Amenities in the room when we got there (fruit basket, chocolate, etc).

We ended up eating a number of light meals and hanging out for capp and pastry in Le Grande Bar, right off the lobby. Overpriced? Absolutely. But the staff took great care of us. When we arrived the first time at 10am, they apologized for not having our room ready (despite no guarantee to have it ready at 10am). Then, they bought us breakfast in Le Grande Bar (5 of us).

IIRC, the rooms we had that ended in 30 (230 and 430) were nicely appointed upgrades with a decent amount of space by European standards.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:10 am
Suspended

had only a 1 nighter using the FWN, got a very nice Suite upgrade as a Plat without having to ask for it

Then I didnt want to leave

Might try the Westin out next time in Rome, but I dont have a bad word to say about the St Reg
Old Sep 30, 2009, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Smile Small Trip Report :)

Having posted a few weeks back about an upcoming trip and having now been at the hotel I wanted to post a few comments about my recent stay at the St. Regis Rome.

Firstly this hotel is on of the finest in Starwood. I find the St. Regis brand can be hit and miss sometimes and stayed away from them for many years due to a bad experience in the St. Regis London however the St. Regis Roma is in my top five hotels to stay in all over the world (Top 3 in Europe).

I arrived on a very early flight having an overnight in London. I had two rooms booked using the Free Weekend Vouchers I had left and staying for three nights. As I was so early arriving at the hotel I called the Platinum desk and ask they advise the hotel that I was happy to leave my luggage and go enjoy Rome.

On arrival I was told that both rooms were ready and that both had been upgraded. The first room being my own to an Ambassador Suite and the second to an Imperial room. I have stayed at this property before and have been upgraded to an Ambassador also before but I was worried as I was using the free weekend vouchers.

We were shown personally to our rooms and I used the Butler Service as usual at the property. While many have mentioned other options while in Rome this is to me the best property. They have always looked after me very well and the staff are fantastic.

Someone mentioned earlier if to tip or not at this hotel. I always tip when the service is very good and I did while on this last trip. When you look at how well the hotel is treating you and the benefits of your upgrade then I feel that giving the person that checks you in and shows you to your room in a very professional manner and the other members of staff (butler/housekeeping) to be an easy decision. These people are happy doing their job and it shows, they might not expect the tip however really do appreciate it. Other hotels expect it and show it. That is a huge difference.

Without a doubt for me this is the place to stay while in Rome and I look forward to returning there as soon as possible.

Stephen
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
?: I will be staying at the St. Regis in a couple weeks, never been to Rome before. Has anyone used the hotel/airport transfer limo service? 95euros one way. I only need it one way (pickup on arrival). Having never been to Rome, and wanting to duly impress Mrs. Jslo, is this a nice car? Reliable service? Worth the 45euro extra for the hotel limo service? any input is great.

As an aside, any other hotel specific tips or eating nearby whatever feel free to post or PM me. Thanks awesome FT'rs.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by JSlo
?: I will be staying at the St. Regis in a couple weeks, never been to Rome before. Has anyone used the hotel/airport transfer limo service? 95euros one way. I only need it one way (pickup on arrival). Having never been to Rome, and wanting to duly impress Mrs. Jslo, is this a nice car? Reliable service? Worth the 45euro extra for the hotel limo service? any input is great.

As an aside, any other hotel specific tips or eating nearby whatever feel free to post or PM me. Thanks awesome FT'rs.
The St. Regis Rome is one of my favored properties and I stay there as often as I can. I will DM you some tips for restaurants in the area and also regarding the car service.

Last edited by IrishStephen; Dec 4, 2009 at 3:08 am Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.