Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Grand Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Old May 30, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2017:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...enovation-2197
Print Wikipost

St Regis Grand Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by super-mileage-fan
My GF and I are a young couple. We are thinking about staying here on cash and points for $150 + 8,000pts per night this spring.

I have read mixed reviews of this hotel Therefore, I am a bit uncertain about staying here. I can't tell if the hotel is beautiful, or past its prime, or both.

I understand the location is very good, but not great, and the service should be very good.

We want to stay in a central location in Rome for 4 nights of sight-seeing.
The hotel is beautiful. I stayed in 2 different sections of it and didn't really think it's past it's prime at all. The service is awesome.

The location is a minor drawback. It's very close to the Repubblica Metro stop which is nice for getting to the Vatican. To get to the Colisseum or Forum you can take the Metro and transfer to the blue line at Termini. There are a bunch of buses that go to the St. Regis, but we didn't try to figure them out.

If you are planning any day trips to Pompeii/Naples/Ercolo, the location is good because you can walk to the train station in 10 minutes.

For dinner and nightlife, you probably won't be staying in the area around the hotel, not much there. It's about a 20 minute downhill walk to Trevi, 30 minutes to the Pantheon/Piazza Navona and maybe 35-40 to Campo d'Fiori.

Every night we would take the long walk back to the hotel from these areas. It's not bad and it's safe, but the part from Trevi to the St. Regis doesn't have much to see. One short cut you can do is walk to the Spanish steps and take the metro two stops to the St. Regis.

Rich
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I'm not sure that I'd call the area totally safe. The street scammers can be very aggressive with their begging and scamming at any hour of the day. If you are alert you are fine, but you need to know that these folks gather by the bus and train stations because that's where they can find tourists. Be alert and you will be ok.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by dingo
I'm not sure that I'd call the area totally safe. The street scammers can be very aggressive with their begging and scamming at any hour of the day. If you are alert you are fine, but you need to know that these folks gather by the bus and train stations because that's where they can find tourists. Be alert and you will be ok.
Good to learn that before our stay. Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again
water temp limited

We were just here in May. For those that like HOT showers after a day of sightseeing, know that the St. Regis showers are limited to something like 37 or 38 degrees C (ie, around body temp). It's written on the shower handle. The water gets warm, but not hot.

I don't know if it is a city-wide thing or not. Someone from the hotel said it was a safety issue, but I had never seen anything like it anywhere else in Italy. And the showers at the other SPG hotels in Italy definitely were hotter.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Honors Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Lufthansa FT
Heading to Rome on a FWN stay soon, the burning question is:

What Plat amenities can I expect at SRG Rome? How good are the chances of an upgrade, what about free breakfast? How does the Platinum recognition compare to Eden and Execlsior?

Thanks for any answer(s)!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:25 am

Was there spending some FWN and got exactly what was booked(superior room) as the hotel was fully booked. But as a substitute I got free breakfast.
As the room was facing the courtyard and not the street it was very quiet which I appreciated.
Use of the business center (next to the receiption) was also free for platinum.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by charder
Was there spending some FWN and got exactly what was booked(superior room) as the hotel was fully booked. But as a substitute I got free breakfast.
As the room was facing the courtyard and not the street it was very quiet which I appreciated.
Use of the business center (next to the receiption) was also free for platinum.
So free breakfast is ONLY if no upgrade is given?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Delta Platinum Medallion
I stayed at the St Regis Grand Rome last summer in July. I booked a standard rate and upon check-in was upgraded to a one bedroom suite overlooking the courtyard. The suite was very quiet and very well appointed. The gifts didn't stop flowing once we arrived! We were given a bottle of wine, a box of chocolates, a bottle of limoncello and a plate of Italian pastries.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:44 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
In terms of "luxury" treatment, I would guess that the St. Regis will win out over the other two hotels. If the "cost" is the same (i.e. FWN coupons) I would pick the St. Regis over the other two just to experience the hotel.

As for an upgrade, I suspect your chance for one here would be very dependent on when you are staying, how crowded they are, and how long your stay will be. IOW, the less crowded they are and the shorter your stay, the more likely you will get an upgrade.

My kids were a little disappointed when I switched our Christmas stay from the St. Regis to the Excelsior (due to the Cat. drop.) They were hoping for a chance at suite upgrade to a "butler" room at the St. Regis. They were hoping to have their own personal butler waiting on them. (Yes, I know it wouldn't work that way, but in their minds that is what they were thinking.)
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Honors Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Lufthansa FT
Originally Posted by hhoope01
In terms of "luxury" treatment, I would guess that the St. Regis will win out over the other two hotels. If the "cost" is the same (i.e. FWN coupons) I would pick the St. Regis over the other two just to experience the hotel.

As for an upgrade, I suspect your chance for one here would be very dependent on when you are staying, how crowded they are, and how long your stay will be. IOW, the less crowded they are and the shorter your stay, the more likely you will get an upgrade.

My kids were a little disappointed when I switched our Christmas stay from the St. Regis to the Excelsior (due to the Cat. drop.) They were hoping for a chance at suite upgrade to a "butler" room at the St. Regis. They were hoping to have their own personal butler waiting on them. (Yes, I know it wouldn't work that way, but in their minds that is what they were thinking.)
+

Thanks a lot for your help!! I will go with the St. Regis, as you said "just to experience it". I haven't been to a St. Regis yet, as there are so few in Europe. Also, if no free breakfast is given, we'll just eat outside. As these FWN are mainly a "Thank you" to my parents and a joint vacation with my girlfriend, I think an impressive hotel beats amenities

Thanks again!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
We just had a last minute two day award stay at the St. Regis (one night was a FWN from the current promotion). We booked the day of arrival and were upgraded to an Imperial Room facing the square (3rd floor) with the fountain on the best side of the building.

We really loved the stay (we preferred the St. Regis to the Eden where we've stayed before). Staff and service was excellent, the upgraded room was not a suite but was wonderful and very much appreciated.

We did not find the service stuffy or overly formal at all, the St. Regis made us feel very comfortable despite coming from a week on the beach in Liguria and being informally dressed. They went out of their way to make us comfortable.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Exit onto Piazza Cinque Cento (where all of the buses are). Walk straight ahead (staying on the sidewalk on the northern side), then when you get to the street, take a left for a half a block and then right staying to the northern side of Piazza della Repubblica and then walk straight. You will see the sign "Le Grand Hotel" on the top of the roof.
Thanks for these walking directions from Termini! I was having trouble identifying the best route for navigating the intersections in front of the station.

We'll be arriving shortly after dusk, though, so I'm now thinking that a car might be our best way to arrive with luggage. Would it be best to just take a private car from FCO instead of coming in on the Leonardo Express? (2 adults with manageable luggage.)

Does anyone have experience with a private car to/from Termini? Any different than taking a taxi? Even if we don't arrive from FCO through Termini, we will definitely be departing Termini after our stay.

On the hotel's website, it seems like odd pricing for a private car from Termini. Is it correct? If a Mercedes E Class is 70 EUR for this very short ride, what piece of junk is just 8 EUR?
Taxi
* Fee: 8 EUR
Private Car Transfer
* Fee: 8 EUR; Mercedes E Class (2/3 passengers - 70 EUR), Mercedes S Class (2/3 passengers - 120 EUR), Mercedes V Class (6/7 passengers - 95 EUR). Between 10pm and 7am, a night charge of 20% will be added to the price.
Also, upon our arrival, we will probably want just a light and inexpensive dinner nearby. Any recommendations for something relatively quick?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:17 pm

we are staying at the hotel next Oct. on award points for 5 nights. What kind of upgrade would they give a gold
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: UAL, Marriot Bonvoy
Originally Posted by sunfun
we are staying at the hotel next Oct. on award points for 5 nights. What kind of upgrade would they give a gold
Probably depends on what kinds of rooms are available.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sunfun
If you were Platinum, they would give you the best available room at check-in, including select suites. As a gold, I have no idea...but, if I had to guess, I would assume it would depend on what rooms were available when you checked in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.