Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood Corporate : exploring options to boost value inc acquiring or being acquired

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Corporate : exploring options to boost value inc acquiring or being acquired

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:36 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Originally Posted by christianj
Instead of a large deal with IHG or Wyndham couldn't Starwood buy a limited assortment brand like La Quinta or Extended Stay America to cover their lack of properties on the lower end spectrum? Not advocating it but hasn't there also been talk that Accor wanted to rid themselves of the Motel 6 hotels brand. A deal with Carlson would also give them nice coverage on the lower end spectrum in the U.S. with Country Inn and Suites and help Carlson on the higher end in the U.S.
I don't believe a low end brand is needed in the SW portfolio. Four Points is flexible enough that it can cover the mid range down to the upper budget range depending on location. I won't disclose the specific area that we were thinking to put a Four Points with EB investment money, but the location would have relatively low land or existing property-to-convert acquisition costs and lower operating expenses than an urban or urban-adjacent center - so I can offer a solid quality product and not break anyone's nightly budget...plus the brand gives me flexibility to offer meeting space, wedding venue space, etc - I don't know many people who book their wedding reception at a local Travelodge or Motel 6.

Frankly I don't want a low end property to own - I don't need the hassle of constant refurbishment to undo guest damage, hiring security to chase out prostitutes and drug dealers, etc etc. I want mid priced business travelers and road trippers who appreciate the features, quality and value of my property and the brand is a magnet to draw SPG members into an area that has no current SPG coverage.

Days Inn, Extended Stay America, Value Inn, etc have a place in the American hotel landscape, but not as part of the Starwood portfolio. Now I believe there are a few European-only budget chains that are low priced, well maintained, very clean and offer a decent feature set (like Motel One of Germany or the Ibis brand), but I don't think you can "upscale" a budget brand in the US market and not have the individual properties end up trashed because of our unfortunate cultural practices.
Please do not open a new Four Points anywhere at anytime for any reason. Aloft would be preferred if they upgrade the mattresses.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't believe a low end brand is needed in the SW portfolio. Four Points is flexible enough that it can cover the mid range down to the upper budget range depending on location. I won't disclose the specific area that we were thinking to put a Four Points with EB investment money, but the location would have relatively low land or existing property-to-convert acquisition costs and lower operating expenses than an urban or urban-adjacent center - so I can offer a solid quality product and not break anyone's nightly budget...plus the brand gives me flexibility to offer meeting space, wedding venue space, etc - I don't know many people who book their wedding reception at a local Travelodge or Motel 6.

Frankly I don't want a low end property to own - I don't need the hassle of constant refurbishment to undo guest damage, hiring security to chase out prostitutes and drug dealers, etc etc. I want mid priced business travelers and road trippers who appreciate the features, quality and value of my property and the brand is a magnet to draw SPG members into an area that has no current SPG coverage.

Days Inn, Extended Stay America, Value Inn, etc have a place in the American hotel landscape, but not as part of the Starwood portfolio. Now I believe there are a few European-only budget chains that are low priced, well maintained, very clean and offer a decent feature set (like Motel One of Germany or the Ibis brand), but I don't think you can "upscale" a budget brand in the US market and not have the individual properties end up trashed because of our unfortunate cultural practices.
Frankly it's not what you and I want but what the investors pressuring Starwood want. I'm happy with the portfolio like you seem to be but that is not what they are under pressure to do moving forward. My comment was that it seems better (at least for us) if they buy a low end chain vs look for a deal with IHG or Wyndham.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by christianj
Frankly it's not what you and I want but what the investors pressuring Starwood want. I'm happy with the portfolio like you seem to be but that is not what they are under pressure to do moving forward. My comment was that it seems better (at least for us) if they buy a low end chain vs look for a deal with IHG or Wyndham.
Well that's a key problem - they should be listening to customers, not analysts.

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Please do not open a new Four Points anywhere at anytime for any reason. Aloft would be preferred if they upgrade the mattresses.
I absolutely detest the W brand, and Aloft has little appeal to me - and it would be out of place in the market we're considering. Being a SPG Platinum, if we ended up doing the project, you can rest assured our Four Points would be run and staffed the way I feel every hotel should be run. If we end up considering another geographic area, an Element might be a possibility but it would depend on how close we can get to the big techie corporate office farms in the region. Longer stay hotels don't appeal much to the transient overnight crowd and I don't want the extra wear and tear and cleaning effort that would be involved with high turnover Element rooms.

The beauty of doing projects with EB investors is their prime concern is getting the green card vs demanding a high return on their investment...so the other investors would be more like silent partners vs active. Don't get me wrong, we're not doing this if we can't make money, but there is no reason why making money and offering an amazing hotel stay experience (especially for brand loyalists) should be mutually exclusive.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
More income for SPG ?
==> Tribute collection ?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:16 am
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by nongsom
More income for SPG ?
==> Tribute collection ?
If it were as easy as that, I think they'd have figured out a way to incorporate the Design Hotels portfolio by now. Given it's size, that has to represent a nice bump for Starwood - although likely at the upper-end again.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:13 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
This article was written with SPG being the acquired chain. But with their current stock price, it would be difficult for an acquirer to pay a premium to buy SPG. For that reason, I'd expect SPG to buy another chain or brand to expand their portfolio.

Much to my chagrin, the most profitable segment of the hospitality industry is on the low end right now. To that end, I'd look for SPG to make an acquisition on the lower end of the spectrum.
I'd love it to be Club Carlson, as it has some acceptable international properties. (I think that everything domestic is junk, but that's my opinion).
Other possibilities:
Best Western
Choice
Wyndham
La Quinta
Motel 6
Vantage Hospitality Group

Smaller, more easily absorbed chains:
AmericInn
Drury Hotels
Intown Suites

I'd like to see the acquisition of one or more of the following but none would fit the lower end requirement:
Fairmont
Loews Hotels
Omni

There are plenty of other chains that I've missed that SPG could easily acquire to make shareholders happy.

While we are currently watching this from the sidelines in fear of an uncertain future, the end result could be something like Hyatt's acquisition of AmeriSuites. They converted those properties into Hyatt Place and are decent lower end properties. I hope that SPG's able to pick up one of the above and do the same.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Wall Street is always pressuring companies to diversify their product offering. But mergers often fail to create value because a combined company fails to maximize both a high-end operation and a low-end operation more effectively than if the two were run separately. Large, complex mergers are fraught with risk.

If investors really wanted to diversify their portfolio between high-end and low-end hotels, they could do so most efficiently by just buying two different stocks.

Forcing a company to go through fundamental changes like a merger or acquisition just because something is "missing" from its portfolio doesn't usually make sense, except in the very short-term way of thinking.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER

Depends where you are perhaps. In Canada, both 4PTs and Motel 6, are - for the most part - pretty well brand new, well-located, and quite nice.

Cheers,
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Potential big changes

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...es-?cmpid=yhoo

Details are sketchy but Starwood has hired a firm to look into the possibility of being acquired or acquiring another company to increase their global foot print and cut costs.

More details may be announced on the earnings call later today.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
As Starwood future corporate direction looks like it'll be an active topic over the next few weeks and months, I've combined the recent threads and retitled for clarity

/mod
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
The first thing I thought of when I heard the announcement on the radio this
morning was " S..t! I am 16 stays ways from Lifetime Plat ( which I will make this
year), and Starwood will be disappear along with my lifetime status!!!"
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
morning was " S..t! I am 16 stays ways from Lifetime Plat ( which I will make this
Maybe all of us need planB and looking for status match or other loyalty program for back up.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...es-?cmpid=yhoo

Details are sketchy but Starwood has hired a firm to look into the possibility of being acquired or acquiring another company to increase their global foot print and cut costs.

More details may be announced on the earnings call later today.
...and on that note, we'll be putting our hotel project plan on hold until we see what ends up happening here.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Being acquired doesn't mean they will remove benefits like Lifetime status. Why acquire someone and then remove a benefit that will piss off it's best customers? Platinum status doesn't cost the company money - it cements loyalty and likely earns the company more money in the long run. I imagine *wood did quite the analysis before rolling it out (e.g., checking the stay/spend patterns of Plats vs others).

As for acquisition, these things take time... and I'd guess in the current market environment a PE firm will lever *Wood up and buy it (and take it private). Clean up the balance sheet for a few years and then try to spit it back out to the markets.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:58 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Time for Barry Sternlicht to come back as a "white knight" and take back his company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.